Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2014, 07:08 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Well thats great viper, gorgeous huh? Im glad you finnally noticed that. Hope it stays that way. Great drive huh?
I live here. It was noticed years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 07:21 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,749,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
No, I don't spend all day on the computer. Out working in the yard in the beautiful sunshine.

And I'm done with this thread. Made my points. Nothing more to say.
Well Mahalo for your opinions auntie, have a great day.

Old 02-09-2014, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I live here. It was noticed years ago.
Yes viper your right 100% of the time, sorry to have an opinion other then yours. Have good day k.

Last edited by hawaiian by heart; 02-09-2014 at 08:00 PM..

Old 02-10-2014, 03:03 AM

941 posts, read 1,966,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
You want to take the 69% of the land on Oahu that is in private ownership and keep the owners from developing it. That means that if I, for example, paid five million dollars for some land that I could develop with current zoning and then the County government changed the zoning to agriculture or open space, I would lose my five million dollars. The government can't just take people's land like that! The owners have to be compensated. By the government that takes their land.
In my view of the world, any property ownership other than a primary residence is a business, speculation, or investment. As such it is subject to risk, and one of those risks is that the government can change the taxation, zoning, or permitting. We have the same problem on Kauai: entitled developers who sit on a property for 10-20-30 years and then threaten to sue the county when there is the slightest whiff of restricting their development potential. That is wrong.

Logically, there is a legal process to change the zoning, and if that is followed, it should preempt any speculative property rights. If the political process decides that there should be restrictions on a zone, I have no problem with that. If you don't get a permit to build and don't post a completion bond, then you are not actively developing and any potential development can be modified before you do. As a citizen or corporation, you're free to vote or lobby politicians to sway them back to a situation that benefits you.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:25 PM

The issues of land ownership, development, and zoning are the heart of the issue for preserving the aina. All the land belongs to someone, and every one wants to make money. The problem with the private property regime is that it is all about self-interest.

When you make a post advocating for more open space, like it used to be, you have to realize that those spaces belonged to someone who paid money for them (like Dreaming of Hawaii's $5 million property example) and wants to make money back.

Simply saying there should be less development is a weak argument when all the economic and business interest is for more development. You would need a stronger state government, with more money to buy the land, and then have laws to preserve it perpetuity. That is something I would vote for (along with better schools, etc.).

Instead, right now, we do have a system based on greed. Even the state wants more money from the public lands. For example, the state parks department wants to extract more money out of tourists at the Kokee state park on Kaua'i by charging admission fees, putting in a hotel (in a sensitive environment home to endangered birds), and widen the road for tour buses--essentially ruining the undeveloped qualities for everyone.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:37 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KauaiHiker View Post

Instead, right now, we do have a system based on greed.
It's called democracy.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
It's called democracy.
No its called capitalism, Wow your worped man. When has greed been a positive atribute to strive for or to be commended for?

Old 02-10-2014, 07:35 PM

@KauaiHiker

Mahalo your right, i really wasnt planning to get deep with this thread nor get political. All i wantted to do was raise awareness that yes we are loseing our homes to concrete, wow Hawaii was really gorgeous, she still is but not as much. Thats it simple. Anyone moving or young to Hawaii will not know oahu as anything other then whats current. Mahalo for your pono post.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:44 PM

@whtviper1

Hey man, the words i said i meant. But i apologise for the stink behind it. Hope you have a guud day kden.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KauaiHiker View Post
You would need a stronger state government, with more money to buy the land, and then have laws to preserve it perpetuity. That is something I would vote for (along with better schools, etc.).
I just remembered this already exists, it's called the Land Conservation Fund, and there is a commission to manage it in each county. But it's small (only a few million), and seemingly ineffective.

A Boost for Hawaii land preservation | The Honolulu Advertiser | Hawaii's Newspaper

County sitting on land preservation funds | West Hawaii Today
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu