Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 04:43 PM

431 posts, read 942,345 times

Advertisements

No surprise here at all. Money talks, of course, and metro Oahu streets will end up in perpetual shadow. Think twice before buying that Waikiki condo with a view, people!

Developers of 2 Waikiki High-Rises Have Donated Heavily to City Officials - Honolulu Civil Beat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 04:51 PM

24 posts, read 34,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaliPatty View Post
No surprise here at all. Money talks, of course, and metro Oahu streets will end up in perpetual shadow. Think twice before buying that Waikiki condo with a view, people!

Developers of 2 Waikiki High-Rises Have Donated Heavily to City Officials - Honolulu Civil Beat
We'll be officially renaming Honolulu HongKong-lulu in 2020, in case you didn't get the memo.

Old 03-03-2014, 04:58 PM

12,120 posts, read 18,005,554 times
Quote:

This isn't unique to Waikiki, drive H1 towards Pearl City and you see the out of place high-rise a few miles past the stadium - or the high-rise condo building in Kailua right by Formaggio's - a lot of projects all around Oahu look like a payoff.

Old 03-03-2014, 05:16 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,785,356 times
First off, Aloha Auntie.

I believe this is the problem with Hawai'i politics, there is no citizen signature initiates to get citizen issues on the ballet, which is a tool to keep officials from being in special interests pocket. Im not sure about this, but I don't even believe that Hawai'i has a citizen process of recall or inpeachment of public elected officials? It has always been know that special interest get catered too bigtime.

Another issue is the impact on the aina and peoples way of life. I believe this is sad that some peoples only motive is to get rich and they are treated importantly. None of these people care for the land or the people of Hawai'i.

Pretty soon some one is going to have to ask, how much is enough.

I wasn't sure what the topic was, hope i wasn't OT.

Good thread.

Old 03-03-2014, 05:18 PM

431 posts, read 942,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
This isn't unique to Waikiki, drive H1 towards Pearl City and you see the out of place high-rise a few miles past the stadium - or the high-rise condo building in Kailua right by Formaggio's - a lot of projects all around Oahu look like a payoff.
The really tall condos in the multi-building complex in the middle of Kailua Town are definitely way out of code compliance. From what I hear, nobody noticed at first and by the time they were well into construction, it was "too late."
They're an eyesore, even from quite a distance. So out of place in that setting. I'm sure many palms were greased.
Lovely views from the upper units, though.
Heck, we should maximize the limited space we have, no? Hotels---we need HOTELS in Kailua! Big honkin' TALL hotels, lining the shoreline!
After all, tourism is our main industry, no? If you build it, they will come!
Did you hear about the plan for the marsh? Boardwalks, tourist center, etc. Woohooo!
Alooooha!

Old 03-03-2014, 06:48 PM

12,120 posts, read 18,005,554 times
Quote:
Did you hear about the plan for the marsh? Boardwalks, tourist center, etc. Woohooo!
Alooooha!
I hadn't, but here is a link for those now interested.

Debate Rises Over Development Plan for Kailua Marsh - Honolulu Civil Beat

Old 03-03-2014, 09:01 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,268,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Don't forget the development at the old Kam Drive-in by Pearl ridge shopping center. Here the news link to the project Development at old Kam Drive-in site receives initial approval | More Local News - KITV Home

It never ends the building up of the area. That construction site is right next door to where i live. Along with the building of the rail system on Kan Hwy also. Talk about traffic in the area during these two construction projects. Somebody received a handsome payday. Agree with Honk Kong West.
Scott

Old 03-04-2014, 12:19 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,120,678 times
And all those new developments are gonna be putting cars out onto the roads, too. Forget making sure the new developments have enough off street parking, they need to make sure there's enough room on the roads for the amount of new cars that the residents of the new developments will be driving.

Old 03-04-2014, 02:24 AM

136 posts, read 331,189 times
And what do you think we should do instead?

Keep building houses until there's no more space left on the island? And then what?

Ban people from moving to Oahu? Too bad that isn't legal.

Or just stop building new housing? Watch what happens when there's an ever-increasing number of people who want to live on Oahu but no new housing to accommodate them.

You may not like it, but population growth and continued development is happening throughout the world and Hawaii is not immune to it.

Old 03-04-2014, 06:45 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,785,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny08 View Post
And what do you think we should do instead?

Keep building houses until there's no more space left on the island? And then what?

Ban people from moving to Oahu? Too bad that isn't legal.

Or just stop building new housing? Watch what happens when there's an ever-increasing number of people who want to live on Oahu but no new housing to accommodate them.

You may not like it, but population growth and continued development is happening throughout the world and Hawaii is not immune to it.
But then again, by not building anymore your doing natural population control. Which isn't illegal. Idk change can be good and bad. Im not sure what you meant on your last line? But the problem also is people. By limiting population growth you also create an excuse to justify bring costs of living thru the roof. The only real solution is social change or social pressure by having a big majority of people create new social ethics. It starts with acknowledging there is an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu