Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 12:06 PM

26 posts, read 32,807 times

Advertisements

Hello all! My husband is leaving the Air Force after 13 years and trying to convince me we could make it on Oahu. He is from Ewa Beach, I'm from Tx. While I wold love to live there, I don't know that it's realistic from all that I've read. We would have to live very simple in order to make it work with three kids and me staying home. One thing I have noticed is that most of the houses for rent don't allow dogs. We don't have a dog currently but I cant imagine not having another dog in the near future. Why is it most landlords don't allow it? We have always taken great care of every house we have lived in, putting our own money into making it ours. Do you think the no dog rule some landlords would overlook if we asked? Also, I would love to have a couple of hens in a small coop just to have our own eggs, it's kinda my dream, but from what I've read backyard chickens aren't a big thing there. Do you think landlords would allow that? Thanks for any input
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 01:14 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,920,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinbonesmama View Post
One thing I have noticed is that most of the houses for rent don't allow dogs. We don't have a dog currently but I cant imagine not having another dog in the near future. Why is it most landlords don't allow it?

Also, I would love to have a couple of hens in a small coop just to have our own eggs, it's kinda my dream, but from what I've read backyard chickens aren't a big thing there. Do you think landlords would allow that?
Most don't allow pets as demand outstrips supply - there is no incentive for a landlord to offer a rental for pets if they don't have to. Your best bet is to offer more rent and see if they reconsider.

Backyard chickens - depends on where, the more remote the better. As long as you don't get a rooster.

Old 03-27-2014, 04:42 PM

32,663 posts, read 48,079,532 times
Quote:
....... Why is it most landlords don't allow it? We have always taken great care of every house we have lived in, putting our own money into making it ours........
Probably because your good care of a house is not binding on all other tenants. Just because you take good care does not mean that everyone does. Some tenants don't take good care of pets. How is your landlord to know which type of pet owner you are?

It is not impossible for a landlord to change terms and allow you to have a pet, after you have been there for a year or two and shown how reliable you are and how you take such good care of the property. No guarantees about that, though.

It's hard for me to imagine that a landlord who doesn't allow pets will gladly allow chickens. But you can always ask.

The state of Hawaii has just changed the law to allow pet deposits. So far, I haven't heard any feedback from anyone rejoicing that landlords are now allowing dogs.

Old 03-27-2014, 10:47 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,045,477 times
It sounds like you might prefer one of the other islands than Oahu. The "outer" islands are much less congested so there is more room for chickens and dogs. Some folks in our small town keep horses and goats in their yard, I haven't a clue if it is technically legal or not, nobody seems to complain or care.

Old 03-28-2014, 02:19 AM

941 posts, read 1,967,987 times
You do have 2 major things going for you: moving without the pets, and your husband's local family and friends.

Moving without pets is cheaper and easier, and there are plenty of dogs to adopt once you're here (esp. if you like pit bull mixes). You will have time to find a rental, settle in, and then consider getting a dog (and talking to the landlord, or moving). But having a local support network also means you might find a pet-friendly rental much more easily. In fact a lot of things will be easier, from getting rides from the airport to finding temp housing, a job, schools, etc.

I think the main thing to consider are your kids, whether they would move easily (what ages and whether they are well integrated in current schools), whether they can show respect in a multi-cultural community, and whether you can live far from your family (Texas is a $800-$1000 roundtrip ticket). A lot of things are different between Texas and Hawaii, but I think the social activities are often similar: hanging out together outdoors around food (BBQ, potluck), comparing trucks (I am not joking nor looking down on people who like trucks), going fishing and swimming. If it works for you and the kids, I think you'd have a good chance at making it work on Oahu.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:50 AM

Thanks all! Great answers and a lot to think about. Yes, hotzcatz my heart desires to live a total hippy lifestyle on the BI but my husband already has a job lined up in Honolulu and after living there in high school he said he would never ever want to live there again. He is all about city life. I'll keep dreaming for now.

Old 03-28-2014, 04:08 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,332,006 times
Tiny dogs seem to be acceptable.

Old 03-28-2014, 06:21 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,516,812 times
Quote:
Hello all! My husband is leaving the Air Force after 13 years and trying to convince me we could make it on Oahu. He is from Ewa Beach, I'm from Tx. While I wold love to live there, I don't know that it's realistic from all that I've read. We would have to live very simple in order to make it work with three kids and me staying home...
Does he have a job lined up? If it was me, I would really consider staying in until he gets that 20 years of service so that he gets that monthly check for life! It would be a tremendous help to have a guaranteed income, then entertain your thoughts about moving to Hawaii.

Old 03-28-2014, 08:02 PM

181 posts, read 274,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Tiny dogs seem to be acceptable.
If you want to have a dog, get the whole thing, not just the scale model.

Old 03-29-2014, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
Does he have a job lined up? If it was me, I would really consider staying in until he gets that 20 years of service so that he gets that monthly check for life! It would be a tremendous help to have a guaranteed income, then entertain your thoughts about moving to Hawaii.

He does thankfully have a good job lined up doing what he does now (non destructive inspection) He is taking a deal to voluntary leave for a lump sum of cash. It's too much to go in to here but the AF has been an awful experience for us and no amount of money is worth staying in at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu