Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 09:50 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,749,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
Keeping in mind that this forum is not a "chat room," we should try to keep our posts "on-topic." Some folks in workplaces in Hawaiʻi that have excellent bandwidth "goof off" by surfing the internet and watching assorted YouTube videos. Some workplaces in Hawaiʻi don't have wired internet connections and folks there often access the internet using limited cellular data plans on devices like iPads and iPhones. When folks click on a topic entitled "Working and Language in Hawaii," they don't expect to find tons of YouTube music video links that are more appropriate for a thread devoted to Hawaiian music. Whatever spirit the YouTube videos links are intended to convey is lost because folks are unlikely to play the videos in low or limited bandwidth situations.
Well thats pretty simple to solve most workplaces have wifi, switch your phone from data to wifi and you solved your limited data issue. that also should solve the limited bandwith etc issue too. But i understand.

Old 11-20-2014, 09:56 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,256,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Well thats pretty simple to solve most workplaces have wifi, switch your phone from data to wifi and you solved your limited data issue. that also should solve the limited bandwith etc issue too. But i understand.
That may be the case in Oregon, but it's not necessarily the case in Hawaiʻi. Some employers here are so behind the times that their office computers access the internet via dial-up modems. When most of the work can be accomplished with a word processor, spreadsheet, photocopier, laser printer, and fax machine, an investment in high-speed internet access and wifi is a needless expense.

Moreover, some employers here have found that the availability of high-speed internet and wifi lowers employee productivity, instead of increasing it. Think about how much time folks waste surfing the web, checking Facebook, and posting messages in various internet forums (like the ones here at City-Data), etc. during normal business hours. There are several studies on the phenomenon of "cyberloafing" within the workplace. Here's a link to one of them…
http://bschool.nus.edu/departments/M...kplace-BIT.pdf

Old 11-20-2014, 10:57 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,749,740 times
@Jonah K

Again you made another good valid point, my experience in Hawai'i is its just a difficult place period for employees. Something simple as a open window to tropical weather can be a distraction. As prob alot of Hawaii school age Keiki could attest when weather is great and surf is good the traditional Hawaii holiday of hookie hookie day is practiced more often.

Old 11-20-2014, 03:32 PM

48,515 posts, read 34,807,002 times
I am closing this thread for completely derailing. It would take way too long to delete 10 pages worth of posts.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu