Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2014, 01:01 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,749,740 times

Advertisements

@DOH,

I wantted to say mahalo for your post. It was right on and 100% correct. But whats sad is oahu used to be the same way in how you describe life.

Old 11-17-2014, 01:04 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,814,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I don't disagree with you. Although, to be fair, it is an Oahu thread.
Yes, it is an Oahu thread. But that means all of Oahu not just a few spots. I know that where my uncle lives Hawaiian traditions are very much alive and well. That doesn't mean they are everywhere on the island. However, even in Waikiki I see many traditions like removing your shoes still remain. Sure you won't see shoes out in the halls in a condo building but open the door and I bet a lot of times they will be lined up in the foyer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiBoy View Post
I'd say now about 50% of friends homes I frequent in Portland are also shoe's off.
Very true. Everyone I know here personally asks that you take off your shoes when entering their home and I have no problem with that. Even though at my house we leave our shoes on because it's COLD up here! We still have about 6 inches of snow on the ground. Brrrrrrrrrrrr...

Old 11-17-2014, 01:09 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
I'm just saying - I have a lot of fiends who live in high rise condos and it isn't practical or necessary for them to take their shoes off. When you think about it, it is kind of silly. It is like saying I need to make or eat Turkey on Thanksgiving - which from what I've seen, less people are doing less of that all over the country - does that make them bad people? Oh, the horror.

I personally don't feel my guests need to stand on wet concrete or socks waiting for me to get the door. I face the ocean - live on the windward side, and it is unavoidable that rain/dirt are by the front door. Does it make them bad people if they don't want to stand in that - no. Are you bad people if you don't want to put your bare feet in the common area floor of a condo - no. That is why it is silly.

Old 11-17-2014, 01:15 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,814,008 times
Quote:
I personally don't feel my guests need to stand on wet concrete or socks waiting for me to get the door. I face the ocean - live on the windward side, and it is unavoidable that rain/dirt are by the front door. Does it make them bad people if they don't want to stand in that - no. Are you bad people if you don't want to put your bare feet in the common area floor of a condo - no. That is why it is silly.
No one is saying you are bad if you do not observe this custom at your house. However, you must be able see that the custom is growing and spreading across the country. Sure it may seem silly to you. That's ok because to many people wearing your street shoes in your house seems silly to them. Nothing is wrong with either way of thinking. It's your house, your rules. However, when you go to someone else's house, you should be respectful of their rules or else don't go at all.

Old 11-17-2014, 01:19 PM

749 posts, read 851,996 times
Quote:
Now you are making things up - that isn't cool. I didn't say there was no such thing - it is fading, especially on Oahu - and as I said in the previous post, expecting my guest to stand on wet concrete while I come to the door doesn't seem cool either (nor having them walk around the house after standing in wet concrete in bare feet or socks isn't cool either). I also said if there was winter in Hawaii this shoe thing wouldn't exist. People aren't as uptight about it as you are making it seem.

Let me refresh your memory what I have stated.

I've stated this notion of unique "Hawaiian Culture" some of you dream about is basically non-existent in 2014. Anything associated with "Hawaiian Culture" is simply marketing for tourists. In Hawaii, the mainstream culture is simply a variation of US Western Culture, different only in the sense of the "culture" being different like New Orleans, New York City, San Francisco. Hawaii is just a small variation to the culture on the mainland.

Even your favorite Wiki agrees.....

While traditional Hawaiian culture remains only as vestiges in modern Hawaiian society, there are reenactments of the ceremonies and traditions throughout the islands.

For those who don't know what vestiges means - look it up.

Hawaii - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And lastly - the shoe thing wouldn't qualify as "Hawaiian Culture" - but a Japanese tradition.

Yup it is 98% marketing, tourists are aware of this. It is people that move here (mostly Americans) that wax-poetic and romanticize about their new homeland, until they join the majority and flee back to the mainland within a year or two. Just my opinion from observation.

Old 11-17-2014, 01:57 PM

133 posts, read 182,283 times
We've never worn shoes inside the house. We wear socks, go barefoot or wear indoor slippers. Actually, most, if not all the people I know practice this, too. In my experience, not removing shoes is the exception.

Though, it doesn't surprise me that some people do not practice this. We had an open house for our place in Brooklyn, during the winter and we had to ask a few people to remove their boots and not drag the street grime in.

Old 11-17-2014, 02:09 PM

351 posts, read 586,849 times
Quote:
I'm just saying - I have a lot of fiends who live in high rise condos and it isn't practical or necessary for them to take their shoes off. When you think about it, it is kind of silly.
How is it silly? I don't want dog shyt, human spit and god knows what tracked all over my condo. Your obstinate attitude shows that although you can take the man out of the trailer park, you can't take that trailer park "upbringing" out of the man.

Old 11-17-2014, 02:39 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,257,363 times
Quote:
Now you are making things up - that isn't cool. I didn't say there was no such thing - it is fading, especially on Oahu - and as I said in the previous post, expecting my guest to stand on wet concrete while I come to the door doesn't seem cool either (nor having them walk around the house after standing in wet concrete in bare feet or socks isn't cool either). I also said if there was winter in Hawaii this shoe thing wouldn't exist. People aren't as uptight about it as you are making it seem.
It sounds like you have a poorly-designed or poorly-placed house. A properly-designed and situated house for Hawaiʻi has suitable overhangs, etc., so that the areas in front of entryways don't get wet.

So, if you wanted me to keep my shoes on before entering your house, I would -- it's no biggie.

Quote:
And lastly - the shoe thing wouldn't qualify as "Hawaiian Culture" - but a Japanese tradition.
Actually, the "shoe thing" isn't exclusive to Japan. I've seen it practiced in Korea, Samoa, Guam and other places throughout Asia and the Pacific.

Old 11-17-2014, 02:48 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
It sounds like you have a poorly-designed or poorly-placed house. A properly-designed and situated house for Hawaiʻi has suitable overhangs, etc., so that the areas in front of entryways don't get wet.
Not really. I have an overhang. However, I live on the windward side facing the ocean - given the direction of prevailing trade winds it is mostly unavoidable when it rains. It be kind of silly to have my front in the rear of the house. If I live in Hawaii Kai, Diamond Head, Hawaii Loa Ridge, etc - it would probably be a non-issue.

Old 11-17-2014, 03:07 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,257,363 times
Quote:
Not really. I have an overhang. However, I live on the windward side facing the ocean - given the direction of prevailing trade winds it is mostly unavoidable when it rains. It be kind of silly to have my front in the rear of the house. If I live in Hawaii Kai, Diamond Head, Hawaii Loa Ridge, etc - it would probably be a non-issue.
I take it that the main entryway of the house directly faces the ocean. In a properly-designed and situated house, the main entryway is usually on a side that is shielded from prevailing trade winds. Your particular neighborhood might even have a few examples of properly-designed and situated houses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu