Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 11:25 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,766,155 times

Advertisements

@0967

I know you haven't moved yet but if you do i suggest a few very good apps for any smartphone they are called "Hawai'i traffic cams" this should help with avoiding traffic as much as possible, further it has maps of the streets etc. Since traveling and driving was brought up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2014, 11:29 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,062,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0967 View Post
We figured it would be a good plan for him to go first and rent in a couple different places and get a feel of the island and see which neighborhood would be a good fit. I read Kailua is on the rainy side .. Alittle cooler ...run air less...does it rain a lot or is it that brief afternoon rain.
Most houses won't have air conditioners. Electricity is too expensive to use them and there's usually trade winds to cool things off. When looking at houses, be sure to get one with lots of cross ventilation, then you won't need A/C at all.

Kailua rain is like Hilo rain. A sudden downpour and then sunshine. Makes for amazing rainbows. Kailua is nice because once you come out of the tunnels, it's like you're on a completely new island. Pali highway, Likelike highway and H3 all go through the mountains via a tunnel. Does H3 have a real name or do folks just call it "H3"? That just seems so weird to call a street by a number.

Old 04-14-2014, 12:09 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,940,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Most houses won't have air conditioners. Electricity is too expensive to use them and there's usually trade winds to cool things off. When looking at houses, be sure to get one with lots of cross ventilation, then you won't need A/C at all.

Kailua rain is like Hilo rain. A sudden downpour and then sunshine. Makes for amazing rainbows. Kailua is nice because once you come out of the tunnels, it's like you're on a completely new island. Pali highway, Likelike highway and H3 all go through the mountains via a tunnel. Does H3 have a real name or do folks just call it "H3"? That just seems so weird to call a street by a number.
Oh come on. I'm being nice, you are killing me. More than 50% of the places on Oahu have AC - whether they use them is a different topic. Just by the basis of all the condos in Waikiki - AC is common.

We just call it H3.

Lastly, Kailua rain isn't like Hilo rain. We don't have 7" rain days. The hills will turn brown this summer.

This site says Kailua averages 41.5 inches of rain per year.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Hilo averages 100 inches.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 04-16-2014 at 05:40 AM..

Old 04-14-2014, 12:18 AM

@whtviper1 ^^^^^

I believe she brought up renting a place with good trade winds and good ventilation is probably the same reason i brought it up awhile back, it saves on the costs of electricity. Thou A.Cs ok to have relying on it to much can make you sick and cause bad nose bleeds. Further i believe she was saying the style of rain not how much it rains.

Its ok viper we can't catch everything.

Old 04-14-2014, 12:28 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,940,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
. Further i believe she was saying the style of rain not how much it rains.
Style of rain?

Is that like Chicago pizza vs. New York?

I go to Hilo a lot - and the rain seems to be the same style as Kailua - Wet!

Old 04-14-2014, 12:28 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,579,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post

We just call it H3.
When it first opened, some brave soul had very meticulously spray painted, 'Ke ala i Kehena' on the center divider, town bound side...... Loved driving it in my less than stock GSR-S..

Alo,,,,,, uuurrrrrppppp,,,,, scuze me, la

Old 04-14-2014, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Style of rain?

Is that like Chicago pizza vs. New York?

I go to Hilo a lot - and the rain seems to be the same style as Kailua - Wet!
Eh uncle you know da kine wet but you know da kine really WET! alo.... uhmmmppp ecuse me `aka`aka .

Old 04-14-2014, 06:31 PM

43 posts, read 62,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post

Thank you...That's what I figured ... Sounds beautiful .. I think I've driven thru there once maybe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu