Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 09:06 PM

3 posts, read 4,934 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

Found out some terrific news a couple days ago that I will be moving to Oahu! I've been looking for places to live but have no idea about any of the locations. I will be working at Schofield Barracks.

I've googled the subject and a lot of people are saying North Shore, Waikiki, and Ewa?

I'm a new lieutenant, single and would rather be living near people around my age, somewhere not too boring, near the beach, and a commute to Shofield that isn't more than an hour long (would prefer 30-45 mins, but an hour would be ok)

Any help would be fantastic! Thanks guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 09:28 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,462,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adef190 View Post
I'm a new lieutenant, single and would rather be living near people around my age,
And what age would that be?

Old 04-14-2014, 09:31 PM

Old 04-14-2014, 09:57 PM

3 posts, read 4,473 times
A lot of schofield workers I know Live in Ewa, Ewa Beach, Kapolei, Makakilo, Millilani areas which are all family/suburb.
I do know someone who lives in kakaako part of honolulu town and commutes against rush hour to schofield. think it still takes 45-1 hour but it is the only young city life you are really going to get. Otherwise haleiwa, wailua has a younger crowd or at least a younger feel.

Old 04-14-2014, 10:22 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,257,935 times
Haleiwa or Wailua would be nice, near the beach would not be bad during cummute to schofield. But might get traffic during winter and the big waves come in. All the Tourist head there to see the waves. Traffic is bumper-to-bumper.
Best of luck with your PCS move. Did a few myself down through the years.
Scott

Old 04-14-2014, 10:47 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,762,728 times
@adef190

Aloha welcome to CDF Hawai'i, Congrates on your recent promotion. Ok its been awhile since i served, but being an officer you have on base housing privileges. Have you called the main housing office at 877-487-4323(no sure this is the most recent number) But they can get you on the list for on base housing. If there is nothing available i hear they can put you in a decent hotel for almost no cost to little cost intel housing comes up? This might help to keep cost down, because lets face it. Hawai'i is the most expensive place to live and rent especially on a new officers pay which can be a big drain, Unless of course you want to live off base? Then thats fine too try the number anyway they still maybe able to assist you in finding housing off base too? Anyway here is a website with more info. Good luck, and mahalo for your service.

PCS'ing to Hawaii FAQ's: Schofield Barracks Housing - Army Wife 101

Old 04-15-2014, 01:31 AM

258 posts, read 422,335 times
hawaiian by heart while new officers may not get a ton of pay, he WILL be getting a decent housing allowance and a cost of living allowance. As a single person, I wouldn't suggest that he give up ALL of his housing allowance to live in base housing (even though the military housing out here tends to be super nice) because as a single person he can rent a room, or a small studio apartment for less than what his housing allowance will be and be able to bank the rest.

To put it in perspective, currently O1 single BAH is $2508.00 per month.

To the original poster- what I would recommend is see if you can do something short term to begin with, you could find something furnished even. While living there, you can get to know the area and maybe make a friend or two you'd want to split a place with. If you and a friend who is also in the military split a place, you could get a really nice place OR get a decent place and pocket the rest of your BAH.

~Katy

Old 04-15-2014, 09:22 AM

@kakers

Mahalo Katy, like i said i haven't served in alongtime try 80s lol.

Old 04-15-2014, 12:46 PM

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the replies and help! So I guess I'll start looking for a place in North Shore, either Haleiwa or Wailua. I think the commute from living near Honolulu would be too long for me.

Thanks for the assistance and I can't wait to get there!

Old 04-15-2014, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adef190 View Post
Hey guys,

Thanks for all the replies and help! So I guess I'll start looking for a place in North Shore, either Haleiwa or Wailua. I think the commute from living near Honolulu would be too long for me.

Thanks for the assistance and I can't wait to get there!
Good luck, have fun
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu