Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2014, 07:56 PM

3 posts, read 2,437 times

Advertisements

I am a new driver and live in Honolulu, I was wondering if I should drive the speed limit or go +5 mph over, or go with the flow of traffic. I am not to sure what to do Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 08:24 PM

498 posts, read 980,952 times
Generally just the speed limit is safest. If you're pulled over for speeding while going with the flow of the traffic, you'll still get a ticket.

Old 04-22-2014, 11:00 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,268,352 times
Generally on Oahu i stay within the +5 over the speed limit, on the freeway. Never had a ticket yet. Even then you'll find people on your tail trying to get you to go faster. Even in the slow line! Stay to the right on the freeway, never in the far left. Just drive in you comfort zone. Try not to get going too fast for your own safety, and the other drivers. Driving in town will be similar but not as fast, due to traffic congestion. Hope that helps.

Old 04-23-2014, 03:32 PM

170 posts, read 293,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrels View Post
generally just the speed limit is safest. If you're pulled over for speeding while going with the flow of the traffic, you'll still get a ticket.
+1

Old 04-23-2014, 10:08 PM

136 posts, read 331,189 times
I just go with the flow of traffic, which is often at least 5 mph over the speed limit. If you're afraid of the 1/10,000 chance you could get a ticket for going 5 mph over surrounded by other cars going the same speed, then stay below the speed limit and watch others drive past you.

Old 04-26-2014, 09:42 PM

35 posts, read 69,281 times
May I mention the importance of being aware of two wheelers and pedestrians. Anywhere on the island where a pedestrian enters a cross walk they have the right of way. If you do not yield, it is a ticketing offense.

Be careful.

Old 04-30-2014, 09:49 PM

5 posts, read 12,818 times
"Anywhere on the island where a pedestrian enters a cross walk they have the right of way."

True, but...they do not even have to be in a cross-walk; any pedestrian crossing a street has the right away regardless if they are breaking the law by jay-walking. And as for the original poster, just drive the speed limit; to be honest, if you have to ask, then you should really not be driving. If the sign says 55, then drive 55. There is no need to really go any faster here in Hawaii. These days, no matter if you drive any faster, you are not going to get there any quicker. Check out the DOT website and see how many construction zones exists; you are bound to hit one of them at some point in the day.

If you really need a tip, here is one: Some Tips About Drinking and Driving in Hawaii | Hawaii Driver's Manual Online

Sorry if I sound a bit direct, I am not out to offend anyone, but when it comes to driving and bad drivers, I get a little heated; nothing against you or anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: