Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 07:10 PM

133 posts, read 182,654 times

Advertisements

Sounds sketchy. What about using a guarantor? That's what they do here in NY for people who don't have the history, salary or bank balances. (Renting in NY is also pretty cut throat - basically show up with cashiers check for deposit during the viewing so you can sign up right away.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by seoulja View Post
Interesting. A realtor told me they would take it but she wouldn't elaborate on any risks associated with forking over some 12k....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 07:16 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,943,614 times
Quote:
Interesting. A realtor told me they would take it but she wouldn't elaborate on any risks associated with forking over some 12k....
A realtor? Anyway, landlords definitely won't take it - they know you can sue them.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:32 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,102,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdlette View Post
Thank you for these, Dthraco! I appreciate you taking the time to put these together. I wouldn't mind living in Waikiki for convenience but the boy has veto powers. (Because he's the only one with a job lined up so far. - I have interviewed via Skype so I may be next!)

for your notice about scammers. He has an auntie in Oahu so we will ask her to view the place and be the middle person. We've done two site visits this year but, our last one (in March) was too early to find a rental.
No problem!

When I had to look for a place I watched Craigslist daily. As soon as one would pop up that fit what we wanted, I contacted right away. There is a small army of people doing the same, especially when it comes to pet friendly buildings.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:41 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,102,118 times
Quote:
These don't look so bad. I'll surely consider them and hope similar deals are available come September when I arrive. A little bit of an off topic question, but has there ever been an issue with paying rent upfront? Like 6 months ahead of time? Big risk? Coming to Hawaii I will have no work history, rental history, etc.
If you like those listings, you can use the building names as search criteria. Both The Villa on Eaton Square and Chateau Waikiki have 300+ units in them, so odds are pretty good that there is always something for rent in one or the other.

As whtviper1 mentioned, it's illegal for them to take more than 1 months rent, 1 months deposit, and a pet deposit up front. The deposit cannot be higher than 1 months rent, and the pet deposit cannot be higher than 1 month's rent.

If I were you, I would call a rental agency and see what the rules are on what it takes to get qualified. Prudental Locations (link) manages a ton of rentals in town, that might be a great place to call for more 'official' information.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:59 PM

59 posts, read 101,817 times
Much appreciated. Will keep those buildings in mind and regulations in check.

Old 05-15-2014, 08:00 PM

Is $2,800 for a small 2 bedroom at the Pacifica a fair price? Location and sq footage works for us. Just want to get a feel of the price since I haven't seen any other listings in that bldg.

Old 05-16-2014, 02:23 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,943,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdlette View Post
Is $2,800 for a small 2 bedroom at the Pacifica a fair price?
Hmmm, well it is a great location. It has great amenities. Me, I couldn't pay that for 750 sq ft.

But it is probably the going rate for that building. From that perspective, fair.

Moana Pacific (for more dollars) would give you a lot more space in the same area.

Old 05-17-2014, 06:52 PM

Thanks, viper. We heard the same thing from a relative re: the amenities and size of the apartment.

Sadly, the landlord is leasing the apartment to someone else. The hunt continues.

Old 05-18-2014, 09:30 PM

Whoops. Spoke too soon.

We have an apartment. Thank you craigslist. That's one big thing off our list. Next, how to convince my boss to let me telework. (Hawaii living with mainland salary would be very nice.)

Old 07-28-2014, 07:01 PM

Updating our moving experience from NYC. I haven't seen many posts from NE transplants, so hopefully this will help others. I used city data for much of my research, so I'm happy to return the favor.

For reference, we moved a 1 bedroom apartment in Manhattan plus an office. No car and no pets. The boy had a job offer. I was keeping my job and work remotely.

Recon visit:

A few months prior to the move, we did a recon for a week. - cost about $4,000

Moving:

1 pod: via ABF approx $3,900. Our apartment building wouldn't permit a pod in the loading dock, so we had to hire movers to bring our items to the ABF terminal in Brooklyn. $600 for NY movers (We went with the pod vs the whole Matson trailer because we wanted the speediest option.) June is a busy time so even when we wanted two pods, only one was available. No availability with the other pod companies, either. So, my advice here is book early! It arrived within 2 weeks of pick-up and we hired a couple of guys from Craigslist to unload for about $400. (Our new bldg had a big enough loading dock for the pod.) ABF wasn't bad at all. I'd recommend them. Just make sure you book early. Not many pods at the Brooklyn terminal.

40+ boxes via USPS: $2,800 or so. (about half were media mail. Others were large boxes weighing anywhere from 50-70 lbs) Minimal breakage. Priority mail arrived within 3 days. Media and parcel post came within 2-3 weeks. I used endicia.com to buy the purchase and our local postal worker picked up the items over a couple of days. ($50 tip) My only advice is that we sent some items via parcel instead of priority. For the extra $30 per box, I'd probably go with priority mail.

Including moving materials, we spent around $8,000 on moving our stuff.

Flights, etc.: We took the scenic route to Honolulu, so it cost us about $2,200 in fares. Regular fares from NY (non-stop) are around $800 pp. (One way wasn't much cheaper than return.)

Car rentals: $400

We sold a lot of furniture, have spent at least $1,500 buying cheap replacements for a bed, a desk and a dresser.

First few shopping trips stocking up on basics were about $300-400 per trip - totaling over $1,500. (Shower curtains, garbage cans, mops, shredder, vacuum, pantry items, costco bulk items. etc)

So, around $13-14,000 total. So far! We've only been here a few weeks and next up on our list is a car. I'm sure people can do it much cheaper without doing the recon and by not shipping their items. That was just not an option for us. Luckily, we secured a rental before we left, so we didn't have to spend additional money for a short-term rental.

It's definitely a lot of effort (we are still exhausted!) and money but, it's the right move for us. Too early to tell how it'll work out but, at the very least, it will be a good adventure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: