Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 09:25 PM

133 posts, read 182,457 times

Advertisements

Long time reader and first time poster on the Oahu forum.

My spouse accepted a job offer so we are now planning our relocation from NYC to Honolulu in July and I’d appreciate some housing insight. (I’ve done a search but, it hasn’t yielded much or recent information.)

We did a site visit in March and found the Kakaako area appealing and convenient. (His job will be in the Ala Moana/Kakaako vicinity. No job lined up for her yet so apt also has to be convenient to bus stops.)

A large 1-bdrm or small 2 bdrm would be ideal. We’ve been looking at Craigslist and have put out feelers to local contacts. So far, we’ve seen listings for Moana Pacific (not fond of the odd layout) and Pacifica. Our cap is $3,000 per month. Electricity included would be fab, but I realize this is not realistic. But, I thought I’d cast a larger net and ask the City-data folks for so any other insider info (good buildings, management offices to contact, etc.)

Thanks in advance for your replies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 11:53 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdlette View Post
We did a site visit in March and found the Kakaako area appealing and convenient. (His job will be in the Ala Moana/Kakaako vicinity. No job lined up for her yet so apt also has to be convenient to bus stops.)

A large 1-bdrm or small 2 bdrm would be ideal. We’ve been looking at Craigslist and have put out feelers to local contacts. So far, we’ve seen listings for Moana Pacific (not fond of the odd layout) and Pacifica. Our cap is $3,000 per month. Electricity included would be fab, but I realize this is not realistic.
Well - Moana Pacific and Pacifica aren't realistic for your budget except the smallest units - and rents are rising quickly. I expect rent to be higher in July than what you see today.

Realistically, you have to think of a different neighborhood if you want a large unit comparable to the places you listed.

If you can afford $3,000/month - consider buying a place.

Old 05-05-2014, 06:08 PM

Thank you for your reply. We don't need a large space and a smaller unit would work. What other areas would you suggest?

We are renting a 1 bdrm 500 sqft apt. now for so, anything larger would be 'big' and rent of less than $3,400 a 'deal' in comparison.

Would like to buy at some point - when/if we decide that we'll be in Honolulu for the longer term and when we're sure of what area we'd like to settle in.

Old 05-05-2014, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdlette View Post
Thank you for your reply. We don't need a large space and a smaller unit would work. What other areas would you suggest?

We are renting a 1 bdrm 500 sqft apt. now for so, anything larger would be 'big' and rent of less than $3,400 a 'deal' in comparison.

Would like to buy at some point - when/if we decide that we'll be in Honolulu for the longer term and when we're sure of what area we'd like to settle in.
I'd open it up to Hawaii Kai as well - although, if Moana Pacific has units for $3,000/month when you move, I'd grab it, it is a great location. A lot of units come up for rent as I don't think the litigation has ended against the developer and that means getting a conventional loan for new buyers is pretty much impossible - meaning people have to rent the units as they are hard to sell without financing.

Old 05-05-2014, 06:35 PM

Appreciate the tip about Hawaii Kai. We went on a site visit in March and drove around that area. It's a great area and I didn't really think it was in our price range.

Old 05-06-2014, 11:51 AM

1,014 posts, read 2,100,232 times
Based upon where you will be working, you could rent a 1 bedroom for $2,000 with electric included as well as central A/C parking and w/d in Waikiki. There are w couple of buildings that have these rentals on the Ala Moana side of Waikiki.

Old 05-06-2014, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dthraco View Post
Based upon where you will be working, you could rent a 1 bedroom for $2,000 with electric included as well as central A/C parking and w/d in Waikiki. There are w couple of buildings that have these rentals on the Ala Moana side of Waikiki.
I don't see a single listing at that price point with electric, parking, A/C all included.......

Old 05-06-2014, 02:17 PM

Here are a few examples from two buildings in that area, Villa on Eaton Square and Chateau Waikiki:

$1,700: Chateau Waikiki 1/1/1

$1,750: RENTED Thank you! Villa on Eaton Square 17th floor (rented, but an example)

$1,775: Chateau Waikiki 1 Bedroom 1 Bath

$1,900: CHATEAU WAIKIKI~12th floor

$1,900: CHATEAU WAIKIKI HI-FLR 1/1/1

$1,950: Chateau Waikiki, fully furnished unit (furnished)

$2,000: CHATEAU Waikiki 1/1/2 PARKING: BEAUTIFUL OCEAN VIEW!!!

Both these buildings have central A/C, electric included, and a parking stall. Both are pet friendly, but Chateau Waikiki only allows I think 1 or 2 pets max. Some of the individual owners may not allow pets, but I know for sure both buildings allow pets.

OP: As usual, use your best judgement and I wouldn't rent sight unseen or pay ahead of time. Lots of scammers out there, these look legit, but you never know if one or some of them are scammers.

Old 05-06-2014, 02:23 PM

Yikes, did you happen to notice how small those units are?

Old 05-06-2014, 02:23 PM

Closer to the Zoo is the Waikiki Townhouse:

$1,850 Waikiki Townhouse

This building has w/d in the unit, includes electricity and cable, but the parking is wait listed (about 6 mo wait). The units there are smaller than the one's in the other two buildings I mentioned. This building is also pet friendly, but this listing isn't allowing them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: