Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 08:49 PM

5 posts, read 6,529 times

Advertisements

Excellent feed back guys, thank you!

Does the bus go outside of Waikiki and Honolulu? Say to the North Shore?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 09:02 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,480,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeeCOFFEE View Post
Does the bus go outside of Waikiki and Honolulu? Say to the North Shore?
Here you go... routes, maps, timetables, fares... and more! TheBus

Old 05-10-2014, 02:01 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,072,228 times
Is it still the #57 which pretty much goes around the island? Hard to beat that as an island "tour". It's very inexpensive although it's not narrated. But you do get to see loads of housing areas. If folks were thinking of moving to the islands, it might be worthwhile to trip around the island by bus since it will go to the neighborhoods. Finding a place to live close to the bus line is always a nice option, in case you want to use the bus.

Old 05-11-2014, 07:53 PM

246 posts, read 650,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob View Post
Waitaminnit, who's gonna spend $5,000,000,000 if I can't get to Waikiki?
The extremely intelligent, educated, experienced, and talented collective minds of our glorious local government officials, thats who.

Old 05-11-2014, 08:06 PM

59 posts, read 101,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dthraco View Post

That being said, the culture of bus patrons was a big reason we started carpooling as soon as we could. I don't mind riding the bus back home from the airport or on occasion, but I really don't feel comfortable having my wife ride he bus as her primary form of transportation.

Can someone provide a little more color on this? If I take the bus wearing nice headphones plugged into an iPhone listening to music while reading a Kindle and wearing a nice backpack, am I likely to be hassled? Frankly speaking, I only took the bus once on the mainland and it wad not great because I was greatly hassled. But I heard that Oahu has a really good system.

Old 05-12-2014, 02:27 AM

1,585 posts, read 2,115,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seoulja View Post
Can someone provide a little more color on this? If I take the bus wearing nice headphones plugged into an iPhone listening to music while reading a Kindle and wearing a nice backpack, am I likely to be hassled? Frankly speaking, I only took the bus once on the mainland and it wad not great because I was greatly hassled. But I heard that Oahu has a really good system.
What do you mean by "hassled"?

Old 05-12-2014, 11:16 AM

1,014 posts, read 2,102,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seoulja View Post
For the most part, people on the daily commute mind their own business. If you keep your head down, and mind your own, your experience will likely be a positive one.

Over a period of time the culture of the bus patrons may or may not wear on you. It just depends on what you consider 'normal' behavior on a bus, and what kind of people you are used to being around.

Old 05-12-2014, 12:36 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,876,393 times
Dthraco, can you elaborate on "behavior" you found wearing? I'm not understanding bus "culture". Most times I would prefer my own private car if it weren't for the hassle of parking. Most people on the Bus seem just concerned about getting from here to there. Occasionally you get some kids being kids but I've never witnessed any violent behavior towards anyone.

Safe and Dangerous Places in Honolulu - AOL Travel Ideas

Using The Bus, Honolulu's bus transportation system, is not only budget friendly, but also it is very safe. Many tourists and residents alike use The Bus to travel the entire island. Using The Bus means you will not have to worry about car break-ins or leaving your valuables in your car.

Old 05-12-2014, 02:45 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,102,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob View Post
Dthraco, can you elaborate on "behavior" you found wearing?
No, I would rather just leave it alone. My response just above your question covers what people need to know.

I have only observed a handful of altercations, but both parties were responsible for escalating the issue they were dealing with. I have never seen anyone attacked physically for no reason.

Old 05-12-2014, 06:16 PM

451 posts, read 413,702 times
I very often ride bus to Waikiki or Ala Moana to go swimming. Perhaps three times a
week or so. Hasn't ever been a problem. it's gotten to the point over the years where
I recognize a number of the riders and drivers. Honolulu really has a lot of small town
attitude, and besides, Oahu is an island...trying to escape from it after doing something
stupid is expensive!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: