Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 11:18 PM

1,901 posts, read 2,554,512 times

Advertisements

1) Not sure what kind of fish you want to catch but fishing and swimming can be done at Ala Moana, a very family friendly beach. It's usually not crowded on the weekdays but crowded on the weekends. Hanauma Bay is good if you like snorkeling but fishing is not allowed there.

2) I can't really give you an itinerary but as a local I'll say the places that are a must visit for a first time visitor are the Arizona Memorial, Bishop Museum (since it's so unique), and Iolani Palace (only palace in the US). The zoo and aquarium are both in Waikiki and reasonably priced but both are fairly small and nothing special, although decent. The Atlantis submarine might interest you if you're into that sort of thing. I went and it was interesting. Other than that just use Tripadvisor and figure out what interests you most. It's what I do when I travel and I think it works pretty well. These days there aren't too many "hidden" attractions like before the internet.

3) You don't NEED a car and we have a good bus system, but IMO it helps with planning and time management, especially with a toddler. Unless you really don't like to drive, I'd suggest getting a car as the bus can take a very long time, especially with traffic, which these days is almost all the time. Or you might think of renting a car for only a few days when you plan to travel far outside Waikiki.

4) Can't help with the hotels

5) Like other posters said, fairly hot upper 80s, probably sunny with a chance for an occasional shower. In other words beach weather but you will sweat a lot if you walk around during the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2014, 07:50 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,312,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottStielow View Post
I’d keep the rental car. Just so you have the freedom to go when you want.

Do not forget the Battleship Memorial tour. You have to get tickets by the Arizona memorial and take the bus over the Ford Island Bridge, on to the Naval Base. Worth the trip.

Battleship Missouri Memorial

Have fun on your trip.
thnks...can i take a 1 yr old?

Old 06-18-2014, 07:53 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,312,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
1) Not sure what kind of fish you want to catch but fishing and swimming can be done at Ala Moana, a very family friendly beach. It's usually not crowded on the weekdays but crowded on the weekends. Hanauma Bay is good if you like snorkeling but fishing is not allowed there.

2) I can't really give you an itinerary but as a local I'll say the places that are a must visit for a first time visitor are the Arizona Memorial, Bishop Museum (since it's so unique), and Iolani Palace (only palace in the US). The zoo and aquarium are both in Waikiki and reasonably priced but both are fairly small and nothing special, although decent. The Atlantis submarine might interest you if you're into that sort of thing. I went and it was interesting. Other than that just use Tripadvisor and figure out what interests you most. It's what I do when I travel and I think it works pretty well. These days there aren't too many "hidden" attractions like before the internet.

3) You don't NEED a car and we have a good bus system, but IMO it helps with planning and time management, especially with a toddler. Unless you really don't like to drive, I'd suggest getting a car as the bus can take a very long time, especially with traffic, which these days is almost all the time. Or you might think of renting a car for only a few days when you plan to travel far outside Waikiki.

4) Can't help with the hotels

5) Like other posters said, fairly hot upper 80s, probably sunny with a chance for an occasional shower. In other words beach weather but you will sweat a lot if you walk around during the day.
'thanks for your suggestions. Appreciate it

Old 06-18-2014, 08:08 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,792,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTony View Post
thnks...can i take a 1 yr old?
You could but i would be concerned about exposing the 1 yr old to the sun for any real period of time. You got to understand that the tropical sun is no joke. I know guys who had to goto the emergency room from bad sunburns from not taking the tropical sun seriously and for just playing in the water for a few hrs.

Ive heard that the resorts can sometimes provide child care or baby sitters. You may want to go that route. Even us locals as children get bad sunburns at times. Please don't take a chance with a 1yr olds skin.

Old 06-19-2014, 12:36 AM

4,096 posts, read 6,250,601 times
The first time I took my daughter to Hawaii she was only going on 2. She did great. She loved the water, loved the touring, the zoo, hiked somewhat carrying her. Did some sunscreen, she never burned, kept a hat on her. She has since been there a dozen times and has never had a sunburn, not that we haven't seen others that have gotten burned. Be careful.

I would keep the car, it's nice to be spur of the moment and be able to stop when something piques your interest or stay longer or shorter than the allotted time. Try to avoid driving rush hour. Go to eat during rush hour, or pull over and watch the sunset.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: