Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 08:36 AM

1,715 posts, read 2,308,909 times

Advertisements

Aloha to the wonderful people of Hawaii!! Yes this is another 'what to do in Oahu' thread? I understand the frustration of finding such kind of threads every other day on this forum. Sorry, I will do a quick search on this topic. In the meanwhile I would like to get some recommendations from you as well.

I am visiting your beautiful island for the first time on Labor day weekend for about 5-6 days. Our group will consist of 3 adults and one child. I am in need of nice places to visit during those 6 days. With a toddler amongst us, we can't do much hiking or flying and we want to explore other things in town apart from just regular water activities. We have done extensive research on trip advisor and other websites and am somewhat confused. Looks like all options involve beaches, cruises and hiking activities. I would love to be proved wrong. Any insider recommendations would be good. If you can answer the following questions that would be great.

1) Ideally we don't want to spend more than one day on the beach. We need recommendations for that one day as well. Where are places where we can do jet skiing, whale watching, fishing etc?

2) What to do the remaining 5 days? Need an itinerary which does not consume whole day and kind of kid friendly (during day time atleast).

2) Do we need rental car? we made a reservation but wanted to double check if it is worth it

3) Having hard time trying to figure out where to stay. Personally want to avoid large resorts which are far away from the happening part of town. Can't make up my mind. Options under consideration are halekulani, trump, modern etc . Any other recommendation for somewhat newer or boutique sort of accommodation would be great.

4) I know its a bit late for this but hows the weather in Sept usually?

Any other tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 11:17 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,526,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTony View Post
I know its a bit late for this but hows the weather in Sept usually?
Temperature high 70s or above - 30% chance of clear, sunny days; 20% chance of cloudy days; 50% some clouds - slight chance of rain, no chance of snow.

Old 06-16-2014, 11:23 AM

12,120 posts, read 18,001,742 times
Quote:

1) Ideally we don't want to spend more than one day on the beach. We need recommendations for that one day as well. Where are places where we can do jet skiing, whale watching, fishing etc?

Cross whales off the list. They won't be here yet.

September is very hot. Expect upper 80's each day.

You'll get a lot more information on travel sites like Fodor's or Tripadvisor.

Old 06-16-2014, 12:25 PM

961 posts, read 1,224,361 times
If you are looking for some things to do away from the beach, you could consider the following:

A short trip to the Lyon Arboretum and Botanical Garden. There is no charge (donations accepted). If you go, wipe down with mosquito repellant first.

You could also consider the Honolulu Zoo. Or a road trip to see the Byodo-In Temple. Or a visit to the Iolani Palace.

But I'm sure you'll see all of those options on most of the travel sites.

The Modern Hotel is a great hotel. I like it a lot. Fronts the Marina and is a very short walk to the Lagoon that fronts the Hilton (which is a pretty good place for small children). But it is a bit of a walk into the heart of the Waikiki strip. Halekulani is a great hotel without question. Royal Hawaiian is also nice and fronts my favorite stretch of Waikiki beach.

Old 06-16-2014, 12:27 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,827,262 times
Quote:

2) What to do the remaining 5 days? Need an itinerary which does not consume whole day and kind of kid friendly (during day time atleast).

2) Do we need rental car? we made a reservation but wanted to double check if it is worth it

3) Having hard time trying to figure out where to stay. Personally want to avoid large resorts which are far away from the happening part of town. Can't make up my mind. Options under consideration are halekulani, trump, modern etc . Any other recommendation for somewhat newer or boutique sort of accommodation would be great.

1) We never spend a whole day at the beach. We usually go either in the morning before doing something else or in the late afternoon after doing something else. If you do want to spend the day at a beach and you like snorkeling, then I highly suggest going to Hanauma Bay. For jet skiing I would recommend X-Treme Parasail. Wrong time of year for whale watching.
Xtreme Parasail - X-Treme Parasail

2) There is sooooooo much to do on Oahu. I will post a link to a site that will give you some ideas. If you have any questions after checking it out, please feel free to ask me as I have done most of them. For a first timer to Oahu, I would suggest taking the Grand Circle Island Tour and booking it for the beginning of your trip. It isn't expensive and will give you a great overview of the island. They stop at many popular spots like Hanauma Bay, Halona Blowhole, Pali Lookout, Byodo-In Temple, Dole Plantation and a macadamia nut farm. The best part is that you see a lot and someone else does the driving!
All About Travel

3) No, you don't need a rental car on Oahu. I find it much more relaxing to just take the tours and let someone else do the driving. Even when going to visit my uncle who lives on the windward side of Oahu, I just take TheBus.

4) We usually go at the end of April and at the end of September and have always had great weather. In fact, out of all the time we have spent in Hawaii we have only had one day where it rained all day and that includes our time spent in Hilo! For your trip I would expect sunny days in Waikiki with highs in the upper 80's. If you go over to the windward side, there is always a chance of rain. However, it's that rain that makes everything so beautiful.

Old 06-16-2014, 02:27 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,785,356 times
I have to agree with the suggestions above and facts above, i will want to add to it that besides hiking and the water, what else do you like or want to do?

If you like history or historical things you have.

World War II Valor in the Pacific National Monument (U.S. National Park Service)
The USS Arizona Memorial & Etc

The Bernice Pauahi Bishop Museum
The Bernice Pauahi Bishop Museum

If you like culture?

Polynesian Cultural Center Official Site - Best Luau Oahu, Hawaii
Polynesian Cultural Center

If you come in Late Sept? Your in for a treat. Honolulu & Waikiki celebrate the Aloha Festivals. On September 20, September 27 Will be the big events.

Aloha Festivals :: A Cultural Showcase of Hawai'i

Children activities:

Honolulu Zoo
Honolulu Zoo - Home page

Hawaii Children’s Discovery Center

The above are just some examples. Further you may want to include the child in your hiking plans, especially if its not to hot. I don't know how old him or her is but you could have your child hike along with you, also rent a back sling or child back carrier when the child gets t

Old 06-16-2014, 02:31 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,785,356 times
tired, my family did the same for me when i was really young. There is plenty bright colors and nature to keep a child interested. But that also depends on your childs temperment.

Old 06-16-2014, 04:13 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,526,542 times
The Hawai'i Tourism Office has an informative website that has pictures and details on lots of things to do on each of the islands. And they'll even mail you a colorful booklet if you wish.

Here's the Oahu section: Oahu's Official Travel Site: Find Vacation & Travel Information

Old 06-16-2014, 10:27 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,308,909 times
Thank you every one for your great suggestions. So I should cancel my rent a car?

Old 06-16-2014, 10:46 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,268,352 times
Quote:
Thank you every one for your great suggestions. So I should cancel my rent a car?
I’d keep the rental car. Just so you have the freedom to go when you want.

Do not forget the Battleship Memorial tour. You have to get tickets by the Arizona memorial and take the bus over the Ford Island Bridge, on to the Naval Base. Worth the trip.

Battleship Missouri Memorial

Have fun on your trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: