Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 08:01 AM

5 posts, read 8,077 times

Advertisements

I'm a 24 year old single (not married) male with no kids and the possibility of moving to Oahu has come up between my girlfriend and two friends. We have a friend who currently lives in Kailua. We visited her last August for 2 weeks. I understand vacation and living here are two different things and that its no walk in the park. I would like to do more traveling and would consider this move temporary (1 year, maybe more). We've been offered a place to stay for free with my friend til me and my buddy find a place (girlfriend and other friend will be living with her). We've set a date for January.

Considering I'm the more cautious (and worry wart) of the group, I have some concerns over living cost because I've never lived else other than Florida. I have no debt what so ever, I'm a radiologic technologist (xray tech) and make roughly 40k here. Average salary is said to be 60k-70k on Oahu. The next months I plan to save 2,000-3000 before we move. I'm shipping virtually zero items and flying out of California for $250. Do I seem to be on right track for living standards with my salary and saving?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2014, 12:11 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,954,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jclarrk09 View Post
I'm a radiologic technologist (xray tech) and make roughly 40k here. Average salary is said to be 60k-70k on Oahu. The next months I plan to save 2,000-3000 before we move. I'm shipping virtually zero items and flying out of California for $250. Do I seem to be on right track for living standards with my salary and saving?
What leads you to believe you'd actually get the job? What if getting a job takes 6 months? And not the job you want?

$2,000-$3,000 will barely cover a rent deposit. That'll go poof in weeks.

Old 06-20-2014, 12:32 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,102,909 times
Depends on your living standards.

If you can get a job in your field, it sounds do-able to me, but best to have an escape plan. i.e. Set aside enough cash so that when you need to leave, you can.

Edit - As whtviper mentioned, what if it takes 6 months to get a job? When I made the move, I had a window of time that I needed to get a job before it would be time to use the return funds. I ended up having a job prior to arriving, so that wasn't necessary. But having the return plans in place is very important.

Old 06-20-2014, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dthraco View Post
Depends on your living standards.

If you can get a job in your field, it sounds do-able to me, but best to have an escape plan. i.e. Set aside enough cash so that when you need to leave, you can.

Edit - As whtviper mentioned, what if it takes 6 months to get a job? When I made the move, I had a window of time that I needed to get a job before it would be time to use the return funds. I ended up having a job prior to arriving, so that wasn't necessary. But having the return plans in place is very important.
Got it. I'll simply shoot for putting more back, I mentioned that amount as an estimate and because my living expenses, until I find a place, are covered by staying with my friend. My standards are not that high. I've had the same car I got when I was 16, I'm 24 now and its a '96 so yea haha.

I will also add a back up plan. I'm not intending to do this on a whim and I'd like to have all my ducks in a row so that I'm prepared as can be. That's one of the reasons for this thread, I'm glad you mentioned back up plan

Old 06-20-2014, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
What leads you to believe you'd actually get the job? What if getting a job takes 6 months? And not the job you want?

$2,000-$3,000 will barely cover a rent deposit. That'll go poof in weeks.
Well my idea was to line up a job before hand. But you bring up excellent points.

Old 06-20-2014, 02:14 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,102,909 times
Not knowing your plans, or your perosnality.....I might add that adding room in your budget to compensate your friend while you stay there will be in good form. i.e. buy your own groceries and give them cash as rent or for food, etc.

While most local folks will turn away any form of compensation amongst friends (and some look at it as an insult)...it's far better to offer and get declined than to not offer at all.

I lived in Orlando for a couple years. If you surf there, you'll love the surfing here.

Old 06-20-2014, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dthraco View Post
Not knowing your plans, or your perosnality.....I might add that adding room in your budget to compensate your friend while you stay there will be in good form. i.e. buy your own groceries and give them cash as rent or for food, etc.

While most local folks will turn away any form of compensation amongst friends (and some look at it as an insult)...it's far better to offer and get declined than to not offer at all.

I lived in Orlando for a couple years. If you surf there, you'll love the surfing here.
I agree, that is in good taste. I dislike feeling like a bum, ideally I'd hope to not have to stay long but things happen. I will extend my budget for this.

I surfed in Waikiki for the first time ever last year when I visited and it was amazing. Definitely can't wait for more of that

Old 06-20-2014, 11:00 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,261,302 times
Quote:
I'm a 24 year old single (not married) male with no kids and the possibility of moving to Oahu has come up between my girlfriend and two friends. We have a friend who currently lives in Kailua. We visited her last August for 2 weeks. I understand vacation and living here are two different things and that its no walk in the park. I would like to do more traveling and would consider this move temporary (1 year, maybe more). We've been offered a place to stay for free with my friend til me and my buddy find a place (girlfriend and other friend will be living with her). We've set a date for January.

Considering I'm the more cautious (and worry wart) of the group, I have some concerns over living cost because I've never lived else other than Florida. I have no debt what so ever, I'm a radiologic technologist (xray tech) and make roughly 40k here. Average salary is said to be 60k-70k on Oahu. The next months I plan to save 2,000-3000 before we move. I'm shipping virtually zero items and flying out of California for $250. Do I seem to be on right track for living standards with my salary and saving?
Do not limit youself to look for civilan medical work for a radiologic technologist xray tech. Check the Federal, military job sites. Never know what might pop up.
http://www.usajobs.gov/JobSearch/Sea...antEligibility
or
Hawaii Federal Jobs - Hawaii Government Jobs

Also i would not mention short term employment or you will not find anything. Do try to stash some savings, more is better.

Best of luck.

Old 06-21-2014, 11:23 AM

5,528 posts, read 12,693,256 times
Quote:
Well my idea was to line up a job before hand. But you bring up excellent points.
Another does of reality here -- it is really tough (so I hear) to line up a job in advance. This issue has been discussed on this forum, and the problem is that so many people dream of moving to Hawaii and never really do, that employers are very hesitant to hire someone who isn't actually already living there. Why hire someone who may or may not really move, when there are qualified applicants already there?

Old 06-25-2014, 10:10 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,074,683 times
Using your friend's address and getting a local phone number for your resume would increase the likelihood of employers calling you back.

When staying at your friend's house, instead of asking, just notice what foods they keep on hand and replace them as necessary. You could probably pay on their electric bill by going to the Helco office and just telling them you're making a payment and they can look it up by either name or address. If you offer, then your friend will have to be polite and refuse, but most folks are living pretty tight on the islands so financial help is always appreciated. Cleaning up after yourself as well as a little extra is always good, too. Guests can be a bit tiring after awhile but house mates are the norm. Actually, you may be able to offer to pay part of their rent and live there instead of finding a separate place. It all depends on the circumstances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: