Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 05:30 PM

39 posts, read 85,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Why do people steal mopeds? So they don't have to walk?
Okay, so one vote for "personal use".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2014, 08:28 PM

323 posts, read 429,241 times
They do have value. And once when i called a police when i had my moped stolen he explicitly said in no uncertain words- mopeds are not high priority. The criminol deosnt have much to worry much.

Old 07-19-2014, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhboy View Post
They do have value. And once when i called a police when i had my moped stolen he explicitly said in no uncertain words- mopeds are not high priority. The criminol deosnt have much to worry much.
Agreed. Unless it's a violent crime, they'll even let out people convicted of felonies because there's evidently no space left in our jails...unless you're a law abiding citizen.

Old 07-19-2014, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
They get stolen because they can sell them - with "no papers" on craigslist.
When is the last time you saw a cop pull over a small moped, scooter, whatever you want to call it?
I see them all the time in Pahoa/Hilo with expired registration stickers that are many years old.
I'd certainly agree that an easy "no papers" sale with no need to license it and a lack of registration would make it free of risk(other than the theft itself).

As far as cops pulling anyone over, only if they do something stupid, same as with cars:
Police recover stolen mopeds after traffic stops - Hawaii News - Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Police find stolen moped during traffic stop in Makiki - Hawaii News - Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Kalihi man driving stolen moped arrested in Waikiki - Hawaii News - Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Police arrest 4 caught driving stolen vehicles - Hawaii News - Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Police say suspects in beach theft were driving stolen mopeds - Hawaii News - Honolulu Star-Advertiser

The stories would add another point that people are stealing them for their own use, either to help in committing other crimes or to get from point A to point B.

Old 07-19-2014, 04:51 AM

1,872 posts, read 2,820,700 times
I thought you might be interested in this news story N7Valiant.

Caught on camera: A moped heist in Kapahulu - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

Old 07-19-2014, 04:38 PM

It's nice to know some people aren't just taking this lying down.

But the single greatest explanation I ever had regarding criminal behavior(or, "cheating" as it was called) was in a video for my Macroeconomics class. The idea is basically that if the marginal benefit outweighs the marginal risk, you should keep cheating. And to discourage criminal behavior, either decrease the marginal benefit, or increase the marginal risk.

The problem here is that again, we have the issue of nonviolent crimes being more or less disregarded for the most part. Fines and the like mean nothing to these people, and jail only equals 3 warm meals and a place to sleep. With corporal punishment having been phased out, there is quite literally zero risk for these folks, maybe a minor inconvenience and an incentive to do it some more(likely because the felony on their record means they'll never work a regular job).

It is categorically impossible to convince an entire populace to ride $500 Chinese PoS mopeds instead of Harley's, nor convince people to lock the damn things up properly. My opinion? Police should do some sting operations with a "bait" vehicle, and make liberal use of pepper spray. Or at the very least, pepper spray ought to be a legally acceptable solution to someone stealing your property(in the sense that the thief can't sue you for spraying them). I would guarantee you that opportunistic theft would drop quite a bit if a petty criminal got maced every 1 in 5 times they tried to steal something. Would work SO much better than a lecture from a police officer and a few nights in jail.

Old 07-19-2014, 05:09 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,068,351 times
Way back when, a friend of mine used to blaze through Kaaawa on Oahu late at night on his motorcycle. He'd get lots of speeding tickets and just basically ignore them. Generally it was the same police officer who gave him the tickets. Finally, the officer caught him again and then instead of writing a ticket told him to take off his helmet. When he took off his helmet, the officer then whapped him up alongside the head and told him to quit speeding. It was a solid "thump" but not actually all that hard so it wasn't really a whole lot of punishment. However, it was enough that he never went speeding through there again.

Old 07-19-2014, 08:35 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,267,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N7Valiant View Post
So why do you think mopeds are stolen on the islands?
Some folks steal mopeds just to practice "stealing" before moving on to bigger and better things.

Old 07-19-2014, 11:02 PM

323 posts, read 429,241 times
I wonder if LULU thought about calling the police?

Old 07-20-2014, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhboy View Post
I wonder if LULU thought about calling the police?
Yes, several times.

Here's the replies:
Quote:
Ma'am,

No matter what type of deterrent you may provide to secure your moped, if thieves want to steal it, they will take it. Your precautions for your moped increases your chances that they will not want to bother stealing your moped.

District 1 Resource Officer
Quote:
Yes, all we can do is make things difficult for thieves. Making it not worth their effort. As for as the likelihood of a theft happening during the day, it just depends. Thieves will do what they do if they believe that they have a good chance of getting away with it. Sometimes we can take all of the precautions that are available but it won't make a difference if someone believes that he/she can get away with it and they believe that the circumstances are ideal for them to succeed.
I didn't find anything more than an opinion(and not a very useful one).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu