Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 11:20 AM

15 posts, read 16,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCStraight View Post
Referral, in the HR parlance, is nothing more than the list of candidates who have been rated fully qualified and put on a CERTIFICATE OF ELIGIBLES...also known as Referral..sent to the selecting supervisor to select from. At that point, the selecting supervisor may decide to interview the candidates chosen to be interviewed...or not interview at all. The selecting supervisor is NOT REQUIRED TO MAKE A SELECTION on any particular referral list. He/She can return the list with no selection, cancel the recruit action, or ask the HR to issue another list..or re-announce the vacancy. The referral list...may include a mix (or placed on different referral lists...or identified according to their appointing eligibilities) of appointable candidates. If you apply within the Federal system and get referred...a veteran can block a nonvet, and even one who is listed as noncompetitive (doesn't compete with anyone..but among their own categories of candidates). ..and other displaced employees who are qualified and merits consideration and placement back on the rolls. In DOD, there is another stumbling block that can get in other candidates' way...even noncompetitive candidates... a PPP registrant or someone in the RPL (Repromotion List)...or on another kind of placement priority status. The PPP registrant who shows up on the "PPP stopper list" only need to be fully qualified...and he/she gets the job.
tlc86: Your series is 0185...SW. You may also qualify for any of the 0101 occupational group (Social Science)...or 187...just depends on how your experience meets the specific competencies of the position in those series. Did you see the info I copied/pasted from OPM Qualification Standards on the GS-0185 series?
I did see the qualification standards. I was aware that I am eligible for the GS-9 and after licensure I am eligible for up to GS-11. Can you think of anything else that I should know about this process? In my mind I would apply for vacancies (if there are any) as soon as we get orders (which is 9 months before I graduate/we PCS). Is that too soon on my end, as I would still be a student? Would folks disregard my application or not take me as serious?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2014, 11:37 AM

307 posts, read 561,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc86 View Post
My practicum is at the VA and I will be providing individual and group psychotherapy to veterans in the general mental health/mood and anxiety disorder clinic. Once we graduate we get take a test and get a provisional license. Our clinical/independent license requirements vary from state to state but generally take two years and about 3000 hours. I will be done with school/practicum next April
But apparently, the GS-185 series...in itself, does not require a license? According to OPM...you just need the MSW and practicum. I suppose the clinical aspect of it does require it. Makes sense. It would be great if you can line up something with VA in Honolulu to set you up with a continuation of your clinical internship over there. That would be just perfect! You've got the contact info for the VA...you can get on line with VA Honolulu and talk to someone in the Psych or SW department about your situation. It would be good to pave the way in advance...and perhaps, you can have something lined up by the time you get there instead of going through the normal job application process. The job application process can get rather lengthy...and often, frustrating. I'll research the SW series some more. This is good practice for me...as I intend to get back into the HR field...and classification. Besides doing recruiting...I was a senior position classifier at the last job I had in Germany.

Old 08-31-2014, 12:25 PM

Quote:
I did see the qualification standards. I was aware that I am eligible for the GS-9 and after licensure I am eligible for up to GS-11. Can you think of anything else that I should know about this process? In my mind I would apply for vacancies (if there are any) as soon as we get orders (which is 9 months before I graduate/we PCS). Is that too soon on my end, as I would still be a student? Would folks disregard my application or not take me as serious?

I just sent you a vacancy announcement for SW (Clinical)..GS-185-9 target 12.

The qualification and credentialing requirements stipulated on the announcement is what you have to go by. When you have met these requirements....then you're free to apply for positions such as described in the sample announcement I sent you. Except for minor variations, all SW (Clinical) positions will pretty much have similar requirements...no matter what agency the position is with. So...a clinical license is required; MSW with practicum...and you're set. If you want to get a regular GS job before completing all these requirements....you might have to consider sidestepping into a different Social Service/Social Work position that do not require clinical licensing. I have known SW Assistants working at the GS-7 level..or even 9, while they're working on their SW clinical license. Check with your career program manager or advisor...who can provide you with a better road map than I can. You can apply for positions now...don't have to wait until you get your orders...it is a lot easier to cancel (in the event something comes up and orders are withheld or canceled)...than to get it started. At least, in the event you do get your orders...you've got the process moving already...instead of waiting to get things started until you receive your orders.
Question is...just suppose, in this scenario, you get selected for an assistant SW/Psychological Tech job with VA in Honolulu...will you be able to handle the regular workload responsibilities and pursue your studies towards your clinical license at the same time?

Old 08-31-2014, 01:40 PM

Quote:
I just sent you a vacancy announcement for SW (Clinical)..GS-185-9 target 12.

The qualification and credentialing requirements stipulated on the announcement is what you have to go by. When you have met these requirements....then you're free to apply for positions such as described in the sample announcement I sent you. Except for minor variations, all SW (Clinical) positions will pretty much have similar requirements...no matter what agency the position is with. So...a clinical license is required; MSW with practicum...and you're set. If you want to get a regular GS job before completing all these requirements....you might have to consider sidestepping into a different Social Service/Social Work position that do not require clinical licensing. I have known SW Assistants working at the GS-7 level..or even 9, while they're working on their SW clinical license. Check with your career program manager or advisor...who can provide you with a better road map than I can. You can apply for positions now...don't have to wait until you get your orders...it is a lot easier to cancel (in the event something comes up and orders are withheld or canceled)...than to get it started. At least, in the event you do get your orders...you've got the process moving already...instead of waiting to get things started until you receive your orders.
Question is...just suppose, in this scenario, you get selected for an assistant SW/Psychological Tech job with VA in Honolulu...will you be able to handle the regular workload responsibilities and pursue your studies towards your clinical license at the same time?
So, my degree is two years. I am in my second year now. We get one internship per year. on April 30th I am done with school and done with internship. No more school is required unless I want my doctorates. Of course I will need CE's to stay current. So, working towards licensure is just getting supervision and doing clinical work. So SW'rs who are hired at the VA as a GS 9 have 2-3 years to accrue hours and take the licensure test. So in short (to answer your question haha) I wont have any formal studies to complete once I get to our next duty station. I am free to work and accrue hours towards licensure (if that makes sense).

Old 08-31-2014, 03:42 PM

Quote:
So, my degree is two years. I am in my second year now. We get one internship per year. on April 30th I am done with school and done with internship. No more school is required unless I want my doctorates. Of course I will need CE's to stay current. So, working towards licensure is just getting supervision and doing clinical work. So SW'rs who are hired at the VA as a GS 9 have 2-3 years to accrue hours and take the licensure test. So in short (to answer your question haha) I wont have any formal studies to complete once I get to our next duty station. I am free to work and accrue hours towards licensure (if that makes sense).

Let me see if I can explain it...the full performance level (FPL) of the Clinical SW is GS-12. This is not the top grade level for the Clinical SW. It can of course go higher..like a Director of Clinical SW who will likely be at the GS-13 or 14 level.

The normal progression for the Clinical SW is GS-9, 11, 12...and up. Again, GS-12 is the full performance level for this occupation. Since there is really no GS-9 full-performance clinical SW...one should start straight on to GS-12, you would think. But the OPM Qualification standards require that some period of clinical experience be acquired before moving folks right up to the FPL. No different in the private sector...except they don't have grades, but probably some kind of title to tell one level from the other.

If you look at that vacancy announcement sample I sent you...it requires that the person considered for the position must have completed the MSW + practicum...and, a clinical license. That's at the onset...the GS-9 level. It is not that the GS-9 requires the license...but because the position is really NOT a GS-9...it is a GS-12 -- the full performance grade of Clinical SW. It is designed to allow someone who has just met all the credentialing/licensing requirement to acquire one year of hands-on experience at the 9 level...then get promoted to GS-11 level; then one year at the GS-11, and finally promoted to the 12 FPL.

A position recruited at GS-9, target 12...means that the person in that position would not have to compete anymore to get promoted. It is almost automatic. If you're performing as expected, at the end of the one year as a 9...you get promoted to 11, and so on. But once you make GS-12...then it becomes competitive from then on.

Because a newly licensed clinical MSW really does not have the required experience to jump right into the GS-11...he or she has to start out as a GS-9. So, what you were saying...that soon as you acquire your license...you are qualified for the GS-11. Not so. The license is not qualifying straight into GS-11...you still must have 1 year of specialized experience (in addition to the license) at the next lower grade...that is, GS-9 before you get the GS-11. Look at it like the GS-9 is the entry level into the 185 occupational series.

If the position were a straight GS-9...then, even without the clinical license, one with just the MSW + practicum would qualify. I believe there are positions like that.

Check with your HR folks...to make sure. I think I am.

Old 08-31-2014, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Let me see if I can explain it...the full performance level (FPL) of the Clinical SW is GS-12. This is not the top grade level for the Clinical SW. It can of course go higher..like a Director of Clinical SW who will likely be at the GS-13 or 14 level.

The normal progression for the Clinical SW is GS-9, 11, 12...and up. Again, GS-12 is the full performance level for this occupation. Since there is really no GS-9 full-performance clinical SW...one should start straight on to GS-12, you would think. But the OPM Qualification standards require that some period of clinical experience be acquired before moving folks right up to the FPL. No different in the private sector...except they don't have grades, but probably some kind of title to tell one level from the other.

If you look at that vacancy announcement sample I sent you...it requires that the person considered for the position must have completed the MSW + practicum...and, a clinical license. That's at the onset...the GS-9 level. It is not that the GS-9 requires the license...but because the position is really NOT a GS-9...it is a GS-12 -- the full performance grade of Clinical SW. It is designed to allow someone who has just met all the credentialing/licensing requirement to acquire one year of hands-on experience at the 9 level...then get promoted to GS-11 level; then one year at the GS-11, and finally promoted to the 12 FPL.

A position recruited at GS-9, target 12...means that the person in that position would not have to compete anymore to get promoted. It is almost automatic. If you're performing as expected, at the end of the one year as a 9...you get promoted to 11, and so on. But once you make GS-12...then it becomes competitive from then on.

Because a newly licensed clinical MSW really does not have the required experience to jump right into the GS-11...he or she has to start out as a GS-9. So, what you were saying...that soon as you acquire your license...you are qualified for the GS-11. Not so. The license is not qualifying straight into GS-11...you still must have 1 year of specialized experience (in addition to the license) at the next lower grade...that is, GS-9 before you get the GS-11. Look at it like the GS-9 is the entry level into the 185 occupational series.

If the position were a straight GS-9...then, even without the clinical license, one with just the MSW + practicum would qualify. I believe there are positions like that.

Check with your HR folks...to make sure. I think I am.

Did you send me a direct message? I haven't received a job announcement unless its on that you posted publicly. My experience with new graduates who are fortunate enough to get hired on is what leads me to believe that after a year, they are converted to a GS 11. I heard it from the proverbial horses mouth, thus why I dared to share it. There are straight GS 9 positions and those are what I would apply to. The folks who are usually hired right after graduation are usually folks who had an advanced year practicum with the SW department? Does that make sense? I hope I do not come across as combative. I am incredibly grateful that you spent so much of your weekend educating me (and the dozens of people who will find this thread in the future). You are awesome ;-)

Old 08-31-2014, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Did you send me a direct message? I haven't received a job announcement unless its on that you posted publicly. My experience with new graduates who are fortunate enough to get hired on is what leads me to believe that after a year, they are converted to a GS 11. I heard it from the proverbial horses mouth, thus why I dared to share it. There are straight GS 9 positions and those are what I would apply to. The folks who are usually hired right after graduation are usually folks who had an advanced year practicum with the SW department? Does that make sense? I hope I do not come across as combative. I am incredibly grateful that you spent so much of your weekend educating me (and the dozens of people who will find this thread in the future). You are awesome ;-)

I can't find the announcement. Anyway, that was just a sample announcement with the Army at Fort Leonard Wood, MO. It is a Social Worker (Clinical), GS-0185-9/11/12.

Anyway, check this one located at Schofield Barracks, HI. I attached the full vacancy announcement so you can see and determine if you meet the qualification requirements. This one doesn't seem to require a clinical license. It still requires that you have at least 1 year of SW SPECIALIZED experience (the type described on the announcement below..which I underlined) at the GS-9 level OR EQUIVALENT. Not sure if your internship experience is equivalent to the GS-9 level.

The one below this announcement (separated by dashes----)...is what you would be looking for once you've completed all your practicum and clinical licensing requirements. I posted that announcement for you earlier but I don't know where it went. My last explanation about the various grade levels pertain to this type of announcement. There is no other SW position in Hawaii at this time...other than this one below. Check again Tuesday and thereafter for new postings.

Job Title: Social Worker (Substance Abuse)
Department:Department of the Army
Agency:Army Installation Management Command

Job Announcement Number:NCMD1403893111200281D

$59,175.00 to $76,928.00 / Per YearOPEN PERIOD:

Wednesday, August 27, 2014 to Tuesday, September 9, 2014SERIES & GRADE:

GS-0185-11POSITION INFORMATION:

Full Time - Permanent
DUTY LOCATIONS:

2 vacancies in the following location:
Schofield Barracks, HI View Map
WHO MAY APPLY:

United States Citizens SECURITY CLEARANCE:

Not ApplicableSUPERVISORY STATUS:

No
JOB SUMMARY:

Civilian employees serve a vital role in supporting the Army mission. They provide the skills that are not readily available in the military, but crucial to support military operations. The Army integrates the talents and skills of its military and civilian members to form a Total Army.
About the Position:
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]·The Army Substance Abuse Program (ASAP) is a mission critical program making a difference in the lives of returning soldiers and their family members. We need professionals to provide assessment and counseling in the treatment of substance abuse and co-occurring disorders. Together, we can make a difference.

[SIZE=3][/SIZE]· An Independent license is preferred.
·Selectees will be required to submit a complete credentialing packet within 10 days of job offer. Instructions will be provided by the local credentialing office.
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]·Home to the 25th Infantry Division, Schofield Barracks is nestled at the foot of the Waianae mountain range on the island of Oahu in Hawaii. The installation is located a few miles from the towns of Wahiawa and Mililani and is 17 miles from Honolulu. The 17,725-acre Schofield Barracks site was established in 1908 to provide a base for the Army's mobile defense of Pearl Harbor and the entire island. Federal employees are currently entitled to receive a non-taxable, 12.25% cost of living allowance (COLA) in addition to the base salary.
Who May Apply: U.S. Citizens

TRAVEL REQUIRED

• Not Required

RELOCATION AUTHORIZED

• Yes
  • Relocation costs may be paid if the selecting official determines the relocation is in the best interests of the government.

KEY REQUIREMENTS

• A recruitment or relocation bonus may be authorized.
  • Student Loan Repayment may be authorized.

DUTIES:

[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]As a Social Worker, you will perform the following duties:
·[SIZE=2] [/SIZE]Hold primary case management responsibility for patients.
·[SIZE=2] [/SIZE]Develop methods, approaches, or procedures to meet program requirements and patient needs.
·[SIZE=2] [/SIZE]Implement treatment plans to treat clients with substance abuse issues by conducting patient assessment and evaluation using psychosocial instruments.
·[SIZE=2] [/SIZE]Provide individual, group, and family psychotherapy.
·[SIZE=2] [/SIZE]Conduct ongoing review of patient progress.
·[SIZE=2] [/SIZE]Use data management tools to establish and maintain case records.

QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:

In order to qualify, you must meet the education and/or experience requirements described below. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document.
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]• Degree: Successful completion all of the requirements for at least a Master's degree in Social Work in a school accredited by the Council on Social Work Education.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]• Experience required: Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. To qualify based on your experience, your resume must describe at least one year of experience which prepared you to do the work in this job. Specialized experience is defined as: providing psychological treatment and consultation services to alcohol and/or drug dependent clients while in initial treatment, undergoing rehabilitation, and during follow up care, and formulating treatment plans for alcohol and/or drug dependent clients. This definition of specialized experience is typical of work performed at the next lower grade/level position in the federal service (GS-09).
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]Some federal jobs allow you to substitute your education for the required experience in order to qualify. For this job, you may qualify if your education meets the definitions below:
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]• Education Substitution for Specialized Experience for GS-11: Successful completion of a Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree, or three full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree, that is directly related to the work of the position.
• Combination of Experience and Education Substitution for Specialized Experience for GS-11: If you have some, but not all, of the experience or education described above, you may still qualify by combining the amount of creditable experience and education that you possess. To compute the percentage, divide your total months of qualifying experience by 12. Then divide your semester hours of graduate education in excess of 36 hours (total semester hours minus 36) by 18. Add the two percentages. The total percentage must equal at least 100% to qualify.

[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]• Licensure/Certification: A current, active, valid, and unrestricted license as a Social Worker at the Masters level, or higher, from a U.S. State, District of Columbia, Commonwealth, territory, or jurisdiction is required.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]You will be evaluated on the basis of your level of competency (knowledge, skills, abilities) in the following areas:
  • [SIZE=3] [/SIZE]Ability to Conduct Assessments
  • Ability to Provide Treatment
  • Skill in Case Management
• Foreign education must be evaluated for U.S. equivalency in order to be considered for this position. You must include this information with your application package.
• Only degrees from an accredited college or university recognized by the Department of Education are acceptable to meet positive education requirements or to substitute for experience. For additional information, please go to the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) and U.S. Department of Education websites at Classification & Qualifications and College Accreditation in the United States -- TOC
<li style="font-family: Verdana;">Personnel Security Investigation required.<li style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Verdana;">This position is a Testing Designated Position (TDP) subject to applicant testing and random drug testing. Tentatively selected applicants will be required to sign DA Form 5019 requiring participation in random drug urinalysis testing. A job offer to an applicant who is a not a current employee will be withdrawn if the applicant refuses to be tested. Applicants with verified positive test results shall be refused employment. Applications from such individuals shall not be considered for employment for a period of 6 months from the date of the test results.<li style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Verdana;">All Health Care Providers must be able to obtain and maintain current Basic Life Support (BLS) Training and certification that is sponsored or endorsed by the American Heart Association (AHA). Current Advanced Life Support or other advanced certification does not supersede BLS completion.<li style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Verdana;">Applicants must be able to fulfill credentialing requirements and obtain and maintain appropriate/relevant clinical privileges.<li style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">Substance Abuse Certificate Requirement: Applicants must possess a current, professional, unrestricted substance abuse certificate OR obtain a substance abuse certificate within twelve (12) months of appointment. Certificates must be acquired from a State or nationally accredited certifying body. Failure to acquire the certification may result in termination of Federal employment.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Social Worker (Clinical)

Agency:U.S. Army Medical Command

Job Announcement Number:NCMD142352291201006D

SERIES & GRADE:

GS-0185-09/11/12POSITION INFORMATION:

Full Time - Permanent

WHO MAY APPLY:

United States Citizens SECURITY CLEARANCE:

Not ApplicableSUPERVISORY STATUS:

No
JOB SUMMARY:

Civilian employees serve a vital role in supporting the Army mission. They provide the skills that are not readily available in the military, but crucial to support military operations. The Army integrates the talents and skills of its military and civilian members to form a Total Army.
About the Position:
  • This position will be located at the General Leonard Wood Army Community Hospital, Behavioral Medicine Division, Psychology Services in Ft. Leonard Wood, MO.
  • A recruitment or relocation bonus may be authorized.
  • Position is designated as Inclement Weather Essential. The incumbent must make every attempt to report for work on time and/or remain on duty during severe weather conditions.
  • This recruitment provides promotion opportunity to the target grade of the position without further competition when selectee is eligible and recommended by management. Duties described reflect the full performance GS-12 level.
  • Ft Leonard Wood is surrounded by friendly communities offering low costs of living, great quality of life, beautiful rivers, forests and fields, extensive educational and training opportunities, and extraordinary opportunities for entrepreneurs. Missouri has some of the best schools in the country including excellent academic, fine arts, and sports programs. We offer great benefits, competitive pay, career advancement, and the opportunity to provide uniquely challenging and fulfilling care to those in need. General Leonard Wood Army Community Hospital and its affiliated clinics provide inpatient and outpatient care to more than 36,000 beneficiaries and are staffed by medical, dental, nursing, and administrative personnel. The facilities are located at Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri, near the city of Waynesville.
Who May Apply: U.S. Citizens

TRAVEL REQUIRED

• Occasional Travel
  • Up to 5% Business Travel required.

RELOCATION AUTHORIZED

• Yes
  • Relocation costs may be paid if the selecting official determines the relocation is in the best interests of the government.

KEY REQUIREMENTS

• May be required to work evening and weekend on-call duties.

DUTIES:

As a Social Worker (Clinical) the General Leonard Wood Army Community Hospital, you will:
  • Conduct focused psychosocial assessments of patients.
  • Counsel individuals, couples, families, and/or groups utilizing a variety of evidence-based psychological treatment modalities.
  • Provide specialized intervention for patients with a broad range of behavioral health problems (e.g., depression, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), and anxiety).
  • Evaluate treatment effectiveness to make adjustments to patient's treatment plan as appropriate.

QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:

In order to qualify, you must meet the education and/or experience requirements described below. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document.
Minimum Qualifications:

• Degree: Successful completion of at least a Master’s Degree in Social Work from a school accredited by the Council on Social Work Education.

• Licensure: A current, active, valid, and unrestricted clinical license to practice Social Work at the Master's level, offered by a U.S. State, District of Columbia, Commonwealth, territory, or jurisdiction

You will be evaluated on the basis of your level of competency (knowledge, skills, abilities) in the following areas:

• Skill in Psychosocial Assessment
• Ability to Provide Behavioral Health Consultation
• Knowledge of Behavioral Health Treatment

• Foreign education must be evaluated for U.S. equivalency in order to be considered for this position. You must include this information with your application package.
• Only degrees from an accredited college or university recognized by the Department of Education are acceptable to meet positive education requirements or to substitute for experience. For additional information, please go to the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) and U.S. Department of Education websites at Classification & Qualifications and College Accreditation in the United States -- TOC

Other Requirements: Click here for expanded definitions.
  • Male applicants born after December 31, 1959 must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
  • You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
  • One year trial/probationary period may be required.
  • Direct Deposit of Pay is Required.
  • Personnel Security Investigation required.
  • A pre-placement physical examination is required.
  • This position is subject to annual seasonal influenza vaccinations. Applicants tentatively selected for appointment to this position will be required to sign a statement (Condition of Employment) consenting to seasonal influenza vaccinations or must provide a recognized exemption.
  • This position requires a Childcare Background Check (CNACI).
  • Immunization screening is required. Hepatitis B immunization is required for all positions with direct patient contact. Applicants may be required to show proof of other immunizations depending on the type of position.
  • All Health Care Providers must be able to obtain and maintain current Basic Life Support (BLS) Training and certification that is sponsored or endorsed by the American Heart Association (AHA). Current Advanced Life Support or other advanced certification does not supersede BLS completion.
  • Applicants must be able to fulfill credentialing requirements and obtain and maintain appropriate/relevant clinical privileges.

Old 09-01-2014, 05:34 AM

Good Morning and thank you for those announcements. I wont write out a long response, as I am afraid that the public may be tired of this tête-à-tête between an expert and a neophyte. In short, I am more qualified for the first announcement :-)

Old 09-01-2014, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Good Morning and thank you for those announcements. I wont write out a long response, as I am afraid that the public may be tired of this tête-à-tête between an expert and a neophyte. In short, I am more qualified for the first announcement :-)

You're right...so I'll make this short. I look at it as a public service....after all, any guidance provided on my posts can also benefit others in the same situation. Need to do a registration profile in USAJOBS...if you've already done this...great. Got your resume done? Federal style is the preferred one. If you need guidance how to format it, let me know. Upload that in the USAJOBS with your profile; plus other supporting docs relevant to your eligibility & quals as SW. Include copy of DD214 and fill out an SF-15 requesting Vet Preference (sorry, I wrote it as SF14 in one of my posts..mistake, should be SF15. Your HR in VA should have the form. Make sure you address your competencies on your resume relative to the following:
You will be evaluated on the basis of your level of competency (knowledge, skills, abilities) in the following areas:
  • Ability to Conduct Assessments- WHAT, HOW, WHERE and WHEN if applicable. Not overly detailed...just enough to demonstrate your ability in performing these competencies...in managing/providing treatment procedures RE: substance abuse.
  • Ability to Provide Treatment= same
  • Skill in Case Management = same

Read more: https://www.city-data.com/forum/oahu/...#ixzz3C4HHaIed

You're allowed to upload as many as 5 different resumes (I have two..used to have 4; I did the last one generically encompassing...covering all possible competencies the job may require). Good thing is, length of resume is not an issue in USAJOBS. As I posted before...write your training like a job. You've got until the closing date of the announcement.

Last edited by FCStraight; 09-01-2014 at 07:12 AM.. Reason: Correct minor typo.

Old 09-01-2014, 07:39 AM

I have a profile in USA Jobs. I have my DD214, SF 15, and a formal letter stating that I qualify for veterans preference. I should have my SF-50 (I could be wrong here) after I go through in-processing next week and I will upload that as well. I have a 'generic' resume of sorts (that I build off of) and I will heed your advice and tailor it to include specific key words found in the announcement. You have been wonderful. I cannot thank you enough. Enjoy your holiday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu