Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2014, 01:56 AM

1,872 posts, read 2,827,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Ha ha - You want something really scary.

Follow the KOIN twitter feed. What is up with the Governor's fiancée?

1997: Cylvia Hayes bought property for pot grow

SWAT standoffs?

2 in custody after bizarre Clatskanie SWAT standoff | KOIN.com

High School Shootings

Search warrants unsealed in Reynolds High School shooting | KOIN.com

That's just recently - I'll take a manhole cover blowing off every 5 years.
I agree but I'm not sure what any of that has to do with water pipes breaking on Oahu. I was just curious if had to do with poor infrastructure. There could maybe be other reasons having to do with living on an island or maybe it it happens everywhere as much and just doesn't make the news. I have no idea. However, I still think Hawaiian By Heart did ask a good question. Has the tax money collected over the years been spent wisely to properly improve the infrastructure?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 02:00 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,785,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
I agree but I'm not sure what any of that has to do with water pipes breaking on Oahu. I was just curious if had to do with poor infrastructure. There could maybe be other reasons having to do with living on an island or maybe it it happens everywhere as much and just doesn't make the news. I have no idea. However, I still think Hawaiian By Heart did ask a good question. Has the tax money collected over the years been spent wisely to properly improve the infrastructure?
Watch the video i postted McfrostyJ, It explains the issues. Its really an informative video.

I also think waikikiboy had a good point of possible rising sea levels.

Old 10-14-2014, 02:01 AM

12,120 posts, read 18,001,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
Has the tax money collected over the years been spent wisely to properly improve the infrastructure?
I'd go with - yes. Better than the national benchmark seems pretty good to me.

"According to the American Water Works Association, water utilities nationwide should strive for roughly 25-30 breaks per 100 miles of pipeline. Between 2000 and 2006, BWS had an average of 384 breaks, or 19.2 breaks per 100 miles of pipeline, exceeding this national benchmark. In fact, the BWS has seen a continual decrease since the 1990’s and the BWS remains committed to continuing this positive trend.

Facts - not a couple of WHINERS.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...np7QAmzqCgIUUA

Old 10-14-2014, 02:04 AM

Quote:
I'd go with - yes. Better than the national benchmark seems pretty good to me.

"According to the American Water Works Association, water utilities nationwide should strive for roughly 25-30 breaks per 100 miles of pipeline. Between 2000 and 2006, BWS had an average of 384 breaks, or 19.2 breaks per 100 miles of pipeline, exceeding this national benchmark. In fact, the BWS has seen a continual decrease since the 1990’s and the BWS remains committed to continuing this positive trend.

Facts - not a couple of complainers.

That says nothing of the issue we are talking about.

Old 10-14-2014, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
That says nothing of the issue we are talking about.
Ha ha

How about any fact to refute this:

Old 10-14-2014, 02:19 AM

Oahu split over plans for Kakaako - 50% of Oahu residents believe development is growing too fast. @staradgomes...............

The Hawaii Poll conducted by Ward Research Inc. for the Hono lulu Star-Advertiser and Hawaii News Now shows that 54 percent of Oahu residents think too much development is planned for Kaka ako and that it's happening too quickly.

The Hawaii Community Development Authority was set up in 1976 to carry out the vision and has spent more than $200 million upgrading sewer systems, roads and other infrastructure to encourage private landowners to create a dense urban neighborhood. (In more then 3 decades vs trillions in accual developments in new skyscrapers, resorts, business and malls in waikiki, kakaako, ala moana areas)

http://www.google.com/url?q=https://...3XOtEZAaU2rCHQ

See more then just a few complainers. As i said before issues in Hawai'i often come down to class.

Old 10-14-2014, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post

The Hawaii Community Development Authority was set up in 1976 to carry out the vision and has spent more than $200 million upgrading sewer systems, roads and other infrastructure to encourage private landowners to create a dense urban neighborhood.
WOW!!! $200 million!!!!! You must need a lot of rich people to help pay for that.

No wonder we have such good infrastructure.

That's a lot!!!

Thank you for that.

Old 10-14-2014, 02:31 AM

Oh no!!! On the news right now!!!!!

The city says it is ahead of schedule when it comes to improving Oahu’s roads.

Honolulu Mayor Kirk Caldwell released the city’s quarterly road repaving progress report Monday.

In 2013, Mayor Caldwell’s first year in office, contractors repaved a record 398 lane miles of city roads. Now in year two, the city has repaved 269 lane miles through the third quarter of 2014.
There are currently 14 ongoing road projects valued at $139 million to repave 504 lane miles of roads. Five construction projects totaling $40.8 million to repave 91 lane miles of roads have been awarded with work to begin soon.

The city says there are an additional 31 projects valued at $286,750,000 to repave 588 lane miles of roads in the planning and design phase.

City releases quarterly road repaving progress report | KHON2

Old 10-14-2014, 02:35 AM

Quote:
WOW!!! $200 million!!!!! You must need a lot of rich people to help pay for that.

No wonder we have such good infrastructure.

That's a lot!!!

Thank you for that.
Well obviously its not keeping up with the developments.

Old 10-14-2014, 03:00 AM

@whtviper1

But dispite all the projects of repaving the roads it doesn't change the fact the honolulu is the 7th most congested traffic city in the world. But we got the solution to that infrastructure issue, build more condos and repaving roads and build light rail that is accessible to small portion of the population.

https://www.facebook.com/kakaakocares

The World's Most Traffic-Congested Cities - Forbes

Are you not getting the theme? Party now but forget the future. Why is it that you have the 7th most congested traffic city in the world and your main concern is pushing to build more condos and repaving roads? Repaving roads doesn't answer the lack of infrastructure issues regarding congested roads. Im in agreement with most who say the developments are moving to fast and are not planned correctly.

Last edited by hawaiian by heart; 10-14-2014 at 03:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: