Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2014, 11:15 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,799,269 times

Advertisements

Pg 2/2

Most locals close to my generation who live in hawaii or the mainland, dream about a simple life that they grewup in the islands with. Sure some enjoy the options of buying the latest fashion item from the latest big box store but honestly we would prefer going back to a time where ohana and experience of life was more important then paying crazy over reasonable cost of living prices or trying to keep up wit the jones. Thats all mainland insanity.

No i don't believe anyone owes me anything. I bring up the past because most of you transplants are hush hush about what really happened to make this rich mainlander dream of hawaii real. No not everyone was open arms about it, majority of the communities were opposed to bigbox stores and how the redevelopments were going. But listening to you honobob or whiteviper1 you wont get the truth, you only get "everybody loves it". Garbage.

Your guys famous words. "Lets keep things real".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 02:13 AM

1,776 posts, read 1,883,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Pg 2/2

Most locals close to my generation who live in hawaii or the mainland, dream about a simple life that they grewup in the islands with. Sure some enjoy the options of buying the latest fashion item from the latest big box store but honestly we would prefer going back to a time where ohana and experience of life was more important then paying crazy over reasonable cost of living prices or trying to keep up wit the jones. Thats all mainland insanity.

No i don't believe anyone owes me anything. I bring up the past because most of you transplants are hush hush about what really happened to make this rich mainlander dream of hawaii real. No not everyone was open arms about it, majority of the communities were opposed to bigbox stores and how the redevelopments were going. But listening to you honobob or whiteviper1 you wont get the truth, you only get "everybody loves it". Garbage.

Your guys famous words. "Lets keep things real".
When and why did you give up your place in Hawaii to a mainland transplant?

Old 11-06-2014, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob View Post
When and why did you give up your place in Hawaii to a mainland transplant?
It wasn't my choice honobob. Most of people who lived in the past on oahu that moved have done so based on the cost of living being way to high vs whats left of hawaii on oahu? I know of a few posters on here who have moved from oahu to the mainland or the Big island for the same reasons im sharing with you.

I must say im sorry to you. It really doesn't matter if your from the mainland or a foriegner because its not about yours or anyones location that i have beef with. Really i suspect others who think like i do feel the same way. But i can only represent me. My issue is attitude and a way of thinking that doesn't represent "we" but "i", where money is more important then aina, people, communities which is the core foundation of what aloha or hawaii life is. Most residents are not opposed to redevelopment, most feel its necessary(including myself) but most feel its going way to fast

Page 1/2

Old 11-06-2014, 09:20 AM

63 posts, read 73,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimuki View Post
Yes, we do live in a Plutocracy.

I have given up on the Hawaii forums. It has a handful of snarky posters who enjoy taking cheap shots at others. The funny thing is they are still allowed to post. I never have issues in the other forums I post in at C-D, tho. Oh, well!

I don't know, I never fail to be entertained when I visit the Hawaii forums. There is always good information on there and some nights I crack a beer and log in for the fun.

Old 11-06-2014, 09:23 AM

Continued:

page 2/2

and in some cases rushed thru without proper planning, just to make a buck without thinking what will happen in the future. For example, the new purposed skyscraper for Kaka'ako thats suppose to be higher then diamond head. It will set a new standard if it gets built. Are you aware once thats built, every other developer will either want to match it or beat its height in the future? Have we considered the costs to upgrading our really old infrastructure? Have you thought about a time when our children or future generations have a Honolulu thats littered with skyscrapers higher then diamond head and then they realise its not enough money or etc? Have you considered if you go too far with redevelopment that you will lose what made oahu valuable? Ive seen this in other cities. Portland is a good example. Billions were spent redeveloping and Gentrifying the pearl district with expensive condos and retail space. Alot of condos/retal are sitting empty today because prices are to high.

Old 11-06-2014, 09:54 AM

^^^^

So the issue is attitude, i get angry over the whistling in the dark attitude i get from some posters on here that only see the present and profits but lack the cause and effect awareness in there thinking which to alot of people is mostly a mainland tude. Its irresponsible and shortsightted.

Old 11-06-2014, 10:17 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,287,458 times
Quote:
^^^^

So the issue is attitude, i get angry over the whistling in the dark attitude i get from some posters on here that only see the present and profits but lack the cause and effect awareness in there thinking which to alot of people is mostly a mainland tude. Its irresponsible and shortsightted.
The particular "attitude" that you describe isn't solely endemic to the continental United States. It exists in many urbanized areas throughout the world.

Old 11-06-2014, 12:04 PM

12,120 posts, read 18,047,697 times
Quote:
For example, the new purposed skyscraper for Kaka'ako thats suppose to be higher then diamond head. It will set a new standard if it gets built.
A lot of people would be very interested in buildings much higher than Diamond Head. It is a silly rule and inhibits growth. Hong Kong is a fantastic example of a great island city. Build an 80 story tower, I'm definitely taking serious interest in a unit. A lot of people would be very interested.

Old 11-06-2014, 12:08 PM

961 posts, read 1,229,206 times
Quote:
Continued:

page 2/2

and in some cases rushed thru without proper planning, just to make a buck without thinking what will happen in the future. For example, the new purposed skyscraper for Kaka'ako thats suppose to be higher then diamond head. It will set a new standard if it gets built. Are you aware once thats built, every other developer will either want to match it or beat its height in the future? Have we considered the costs to upgrading our really old infrastructure? Have you thought about a time when our children or future generations have a Honolulu thats littered with skyscrapers higher then diamond head and then they realise its not enough money or etc? Have you considered if you go too far with redevelopment that you will lose what made oahu valuable? Ive seen this in other cities. Portland is a good example. Billions were spent redeveloping and Gentrifying the pearl district with expensive condos and retail space. Alot of condos/retal are sitting empty today because prices are to high.
I believe your criticism, to be effective, should be directed at local elected officials (who, by the way, are local's). Not at the corporations or at all the "mainlanders" or even at the "rich".

The basic fact is that no corporation could build a skyscraper higher than Diamond head if the local elected officials simply enforced existing building codes rather than grant exceptions. The city of Honolulu could never go "too far" with development, if local elected officials set development guidelines and then stuck to them.

It boils down to local governments comprised of local people and elected by local citizens deciding how they are going to manage and regulate growth and development. And then being held accountable for enforcing those codes. Again, no corporation could build a skyscraper taller than Diamond Head if these local government officials put in place regulations and then had the backbone to enforce them.

So to effect change, people need to look at those around them and start demanding stricter development regulations and enforcement of those regulations currently in place rather than constantly granting exceptions.

Pointing a finger at the mainland or at the corporations is mis-directed. Start pointing a finger at those local elected officials charged with developing land-use planning codes and building regulations and enforcing the existing codes. They are the ones with the power to control and direct growth on the island.

Old 11-06-2014, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
The particular "attitude" that you describe isn't solely endemic to the continental United States. It exists in many urbanized areas throughout the world.
And your point bruddah? So greed is universal and character defects are too, so no harm no foul?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: