Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2014, 10:51 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,791,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I'm stuck here and it Hawaii has better weather. And Hong Kong, Chicagoan, NYC, knows how to do high rises. Very cool and spectacular

Why not build a cool 90 story building, or a bunch. Think of the tax revenue and decrease in traffic.
To be honest with you and correct me if im wrong? The infrastructure regarding traffic is one that is the most difficult to solve on oahu. If im correct the building of skyscrapers in new development areas hasn't solved the issues of traffic, its had the opposite effect? If given a choice to walk to the store to buy groceries or drive to the store to buy groceries, most are choosing to drive because it more convenient and some neighborhoods don't have access to close grocery stores for example. Is this correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2014, 11:08 AM

12,120 posts, read 18,023,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
To be honest with you and correct me if im wrong? The infrastructure regarding traffic is one that is the most difficult to solve on oahu. If im correct the building of skyscrapers in new development areas hasn't solved the issues of traffic, its had the opposite effect?
You aren't correct. Every new high rise in the urban core takes cars off the street. Just imagine, if all that new housing didn't occur didn't occur downtown and if people had to live in Ewa Beach, Kapolei, or Mililani - it would be even more nightmarish.

Old 10-17-2014, 12:34 PM

Quote:
You aren't correct. Every new high rise in the urban core takes cars off the street. Just imagine, if all that new housing didn't occur didn't occur downtown and if people had to live in Ewa Beach, Kapolei, or Mililani - it would be even more nightmarish.
Then please simply explain to me how our population has almost doubled in 40 years from 769,913. to 1,360,301, in that time we have built condos and skyscrapers to house the population increase in Oahu but for some reason we have the 2nd worst traffic in the country and the 7th in the world. Now im not arguing with you to argue and im not saying im not wrong or am not unteachable but im trying to understand your logic? So the solution is to build taller skyscrapers to house more people and raise the population? When they have already been building more condos and skyscrapers the last few decades on oahu?

Old 10-17-2014, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Then please simply explain to me how our population has almost doubled in 40 years from 769,913. to 1,360,301, in that time we have built condos and skyscrapers to house the population increase in Oahu but for some reason we have the 2nd worst traffic in the country and the 7th in the world. Now im not arguing with you to argue and im not saying im not wrong or am not unteachable but im trying to understand your logic? So the solution is to build taller skyscrapers to house more people and raise the population? When we have already been building more condos and skyscrapers the last few decades.
The population of the United States has risen over 100 million the past 40 years. The population of the world has risen 3.5 billion the past 40 years. Guess what, population is rising.

Seems to me birth control education is lacking. Reminds me of that early 20's girl thread with 4 kids not very long ago who is completely broke.

Given population is rising - traffic is worse everywhere than 40 years ago.

Old 10-17-2014, 03:52 PM

Quote:
The population of the United States has risen over 100 million the past 40 years. The population of the world has risen 3.5 billion the past 40 years. Guess what, population is rising.

Seems to me birth control education is lacking. Reminds me of that early 20's girl thread with 4 kids not very long ago who is completely broke.

Given population is rising - traffic is worse everywhere than 40 years ago.
But that doesn't answer how building higher skyscrapers keeps the cars off the roads and lowers traffic? Building higher skyscrapers helps house the higher population growths. I can agree because it optimizes available space. Honestly i want to jump on your bandwagon of optimal redevelopment. But really it doesn't appear to solve any real issues besides making more money and housing the population growth. As for the issues of traffic congestion and water, sewer etc. It will make it worse?

Old 10-17-2014, 06:42 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,829,881 times
If the population of Oahu was to almost double again over the next 40 years, what would the island look like and how bad would the traffic be without more tall buildings to house people in?
I can see population growth being a HUGE problem in the future everywhere including Hawaii. In a free world, I'm not sure what the answer is.

Old 10-17-2014, 06:48 PM

Quote:
But that doesn't answer how building higher skyscrapers keeps the cars off the roads and lowers traffic?
If you build highrises where people mostly work (downtown to Waikiki) that alleviates traffic and takes more cars off of the road from commuters on the west side.

Old 10-17-2014, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
If the population of Oahu was to almost double again over the next 40 years, what would the island look like and how bad would the traffic be without more tall buildings to house people in?
I can see population growth being a HUGE problem in the future everywhere including Hawaii. In a free world, I'm not sure what the answer is.
At least your honest. I don't believe there is a true answer. But doing the same things over and over again and expecting different results cant be a viable solution?

Old 10-17-2014, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
I don't think you'd see a huge difference. Oahu is larger than Hong Kong (600 sq miles vs. 425 sq miles) and less than a million residents vs over 7 million in Hong Kong - so, Oahu has room to grow.

You'd have to have better mass transit options and you'd likely see Kapolei grow into more of an urban core since that is where land is available.

Old 10-17-2014, 06:53 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,829,881 times
Quote:
But doing the same things over and over again and expecting different results cant be a viable solution?
I agree. Do you have any suggestions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: