Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2014, 01:12 PM

12,120 posts, read 18,023,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiBoy View Post
Sad to see them go. They were the most convenient larger supermarket for me and within walking distance.
That is actually one of the reasons it is hard for them to stay in that location - they need grocery shoppers that fill an entire cart not just stuff they can carry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2014, 01:44 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,791,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
That is actually one of the reasons it is hard for them to stay in that location - they need grocery shoppers that fill an entire cart not just stuff they can carry.
Bet the high cost rent didn't help the bottom line either?

Old 11-05-2014, 01:47 PM

961 posts, read 1,226,866 times
Quote:
That's true. I used it more like a convenience store. I thought I read once that they owned land near the new Ritz Carlton site. But I don't remember if that was sold to build the second Ritz tower, or if it was actually Food Pantry that owned that site. Do you know anything about that ?

When the Foodland goes away, Food Pantry on Hobron will be the nearest walkable market for me and I like that place less than Foodland.

Old 11-05-2014, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiBoy View Post
That's true. I used it more like a convenience store. I thought I read once that they owned land near the new Ritz Carlton site. But I don't remember if that was sold to build the second Ritz tower, or if it was actually Food Pantry that owned that site. Do you know anything about that ?

When the Foodland goes away, Food Pantry on Hobron will be the nearest walkable market for me and I like that place less than Foodland.
Food pantry is also more expensive too. From what i know. Maybe thats the point?

Old 11-05-2014, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Bet the high cost rent didn't help the bottom line either?
Rent is only high when you can't afford it. Since they can't afford market rent they will find someone who can.

Ala Moana is running a business not a charity

Old 11-05-2014, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Rent is only high when you can't afford it. Since they can't afford market rent they will find someone who can.

Ala Moana is running a business not a charity
People are trying to live in peace and enjoy hawaii nei and ohana, not help you or General Growth Properties make there first trillion or million or conquer the world. No one cares about maintaining class but to just enjoy there life to the fullest. Why can't you see that? We are not put on this earth to accumulate stuff. The people of hawaii and the world are not here to supplement your lifestyle or class or ambition of world dominance.

Old 11-05-2014, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
People are trying to live in peace and enjoy hawaii nei and ohana, not help you or General Growth Properties make there first trillion or million or conquer the world. No one cares about maintaining class but to just enjoy there life to the fullest. Why can't you see that? We are not put on this earth to accumulate stuff. The people of hawaii and the world are not here to supplement your lifestyle or class or ambition of world dominance.
What an incredibly shortsighted view of living in Hawaii which is reflected by the fact you haven't even visited in 40 years. If demand didn't exist to command high rental rates at Ala Moana Mall - then the rent would be lower. Therefore, the people have spoken with their wallet. They want higher end luxury retailers. If the higher end luxury retailers couldn't sustain themselves they wouldn't be here.

It is so unbecoming to be so jealous of success.

If people don't like the mall they can go somewhere else.

Old 11-05-2014, 06:52 PM

^^^^^^
@whtviper1,

Yours is an incredibly shortsighted view of a mainlander only living in Hawaii for a short while and in current times. I just love your perception whtviper1 your a perfect boyscout for capitalism and classism. You don't seem to understand what Gentrification is? Its definition is: the process of renewal and rebuilding accompanying the influx of middle-class or affluent people into areas that often displaces poorer residents*...

Another words Gentrification eliminates choice. Ala Moana is an example of this. There was nothing wrong with the old ala moana before General Growth Properties took over. It was one if not the highest grossing shopping centers in the country and it catered to locals. In 1979 Ala Moana gross profit was 350+ million. For the value of the doller in that time that was better then great. The problem wasn't one of that they need to redevelope or they will die economically. The issue was 350+million in 79 and all the record sales after wasn't enough profit.

Pg 1/2

Old 11-05-2014, 07:14 PM

Continued from my last post: page 2/2

This the converstion to high end retail stores that catered to rich tourists. You state that people vote with there dollars. Well people did express there dislike for the change in the malls new direction and locals didn't shop there at first. But as time passed and Gentrification took more of a hold and local businesses closed this left not much choice, coupled with heavier marketing on goods in general in media people eventually acceptted it. But much like a battered woman who gets comfortable getting hit by her spouse, getting comfortable and having acceptence doesn't mean its good.

Supply and demand? Really? Supply and demand is just justification to be greedy.

Old 11-05-2014, 07:16 PM

General Growth Properties is entitled to do what they want to the property (assuming zoning and other legal issues). If they want to make it a giant concrete block - they can. A big parking lot - go for it. The biggest Walmart in the world - entitled. Or, how it looks today and in the future they can do so.

If you don't like it - buy it from them and do what you want to the mall.

I do know it is the most visited place in Hawaii.

http://www.alamoanacenter.com/About-Us.aspx

"42 million annual visitors per year—making it Hawaii’s most visited destination with locals and tourists. "
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: