Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 03:11 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,666,240 times

Advertisements

HBH, come on over to the BI next time you are in Hawaii, and we'll fix you a shave ice with li hing mui. We have no trouble getting the powder, and we don't go to a crackseed store! (probably have it at WalMart LOL).I assume you mean "shave ice" rather than "icee" because I don't know anyone here who calls it an icee. Maybe they did 40 years ago?

Regarding your latest argument about the music, you don't need to worry. I just went to a concert last night here on the BI that was put on by a music camp (Center for Hawaiian Music Studies) that attracts people from around the world who come teach the young people. The musicians DO carry on the old music. Your first video of Hawaiian Legends included Dennis Kamakahi, who recently passed on, but his son David was there and he performed a lot of the old songs. Also there were some great young people, including some 15 year old ukulele players who are learning the craft from Keoki Kahumoku and other teachers at the camp, the Abrigo 'Ohana whose youngest singer/player is 12 years old, and a fantastic ukulele player named Kris Fuchigami. Other great players there included John Keawe, Diana Aki, Martin Pahuinui, and Ben Ka'iwi. You should check out some of these names and maybe you would quit lamenting the supposed loss of the Hawaiian music.

Yeah, I know, you're going to say that is on the BI and not Oahu, but aren't we all in Hawaii?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2014, 03:35 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,258,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
HBH, come on over to the BI next time you are in Hawaii, and we'll fix you a shave ice with li hing mui. We have no trouble getting the powder, and we don't go to a crackseed store! (probably have it at WalMart LOL).I assume you mean "shave ice" rather than "icee" because I don't know anyone here who calls it an icee. Maybe they did 40 years ago?
Forty years ago, we referred to it as an "ice shave" on the Big Island, instead of a "shave ice." Same thing, but for some reason, folks here preferred to use the Hawaiian language word order in which the adjective comes after the noun. An "icee" is somewhat different from an "ice shave" or "shave ice."

Old 11-09-2014, 04:05 PM

959 posts, read 1,215,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
@WaikikiBoy

Lol well it pays to know history, Don Quijote replaced Daiei and Daiei replaced holiday market at the same location.

Pg 1/2
Nice try at being snarky and sorry to disappoint you but I do know the history Daiai and Don Quijote at that location. I've been in the store and members of my family have worked for Daiei in Japan. I used the / between their names to show they are virtually the same.

And the fact remains the current Don Quijote is basically a less appealing version of a old Walmart.

Old 11-09-2014, 04:09 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,666,240 times
Yeah, Jonah, I do sometimes hear "ice shave".

I'm part of a volunteer organization that does a lot of fundraisers to support the local community, and the kids love the "shave ice". We have our own machine, and we make the shave ice by shredding the ice and then adding flavored toppings. Oh, and I forgot, we also have a li hing mui flavor that is popular.

I guess we'd have to go to 7-11 for an icee?

Old 11-09-2014, 07:04 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,752,590 times
@Jonah K

No not "nostaigia". Ok simplist terms would you say Oahu is slower or faster then the past? Would you say the people are more kinder or not. Is it more expensive or not? Is drug addiction higher today? is crime worse today in oahu? If you answer is worse then why?

If things are going towards worse then whatever your doing isnt working. Our elders generation before us in Hawaii didn't deal with alot of our social ills. What is it jonah? Almost 50% of the Hawaii prison population today is native hawaiian, but native hawaiian population is only 10% of the islands. Another interesting stat jails and prisons has increased 500 percent since the early 1970s. Homelessness in the islands is at an all time high. Where to be honest in our small kid time with the exception of vietnam vets you hardly saw a homeless person because ohana took care of them. Theres something wrong, And its related to the change in culture and everything else is just a symptom.

Old 11-09-2014, 07:29 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,815,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
Those of us that were born and raised in Hawaiʻi know what it was like years ago. However, for those of us that remained in Hawaiʻi, the process of change is part of our "collective experience" as well. Folks that haven't lived in Hawaiʻi for a while don't share that "collective experience" and the changes that have gradually occurred over time seem all the more jarring. For instance, folks that havenʻt been on Oʻahu since the early 1980s are somewhat taken aback when they see Kapolei, the H-3, the Hawaiʻi Convention Center, and other things that either didn't exist or were under construction the last time they were on-island.

Excellent point Jonah K!

I remember Icees from when I was a kid! You could get them all over Oregon at Kmarts and little convenience stores. They were kinda like a not as good Slurpee. I had no idea that people in Hawaii were also drinking them!
Ala Moana: Hawaii's Gathering Place-icee.png

I did a search on their website and you can still get them at Sams Club on 750 KEEAUMOKU ST HONOLULU - 96814
The ICEE Company

Old 11-09-2014, 07:39 PM

@Dreaming of Hawaii

Mahalo auntie, Shave ice or ice shave is different from an icee, we call icees today slurpies.

Auntie you misunderstand, maybe because im terrible writter? I dont greive over lost musicians. That was just an example of my point. Nothing has changed in hawaiian music thru the generations besides technology, same uhane or spirit and same songs passed down thru the ages. Just different faces. I listen to newer hawaiian musicians too because i can still feel the spirit of hawaii in there music. For example i love justin youngs music when he sings hawaiian songs, hapa is after my time and so is Nathan Aweae. But try have U2 sing hawaiian music or tupoc, you wont feel the spirit. Use this as an analogy of life in Oahu.

Heres a powerful justen young song.

Justin Young- He Lei No Manoalani - YouTube

Heres what an li hing mui icee looks like. I love it with extra juice.

Mr. Young shows how to make a Li Hing Mui ICEE - YouTube

Old 11-09-2014, 08:12 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,815,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Mahalo auntie, Shave ice or ice shave is different from an icee, we call icees today slurpies.
An Icee and a Slurpee are two different drinks. Although in it's modern form, the Icee has become more like the Slurpee, according to my niece who is here with me. It used to be when I was a kid, there was a huge difference between the two. It would have been like comparing a snow cone to a shave ice.

Here is something funny. I haven't had either in many years, maybe a couple decades or more! So tonight after seeing that they still sell Icees in Honolulu I wondered if the sell them in Oregon anymore. I did a location search and they are still everywhere. Heck, I guess the only grocery store in the village close to where we live sells them. I must walk by that Icee machine at least once a week and never even noticed it!

Old 11-09-2014, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
An Icee and a Slurpee are two different drinks. Although in it's modern form, the Icee has become more like the Slurpee, according to my niece who is here with me. It used to be when I was a kid, there was a huge difference between the two. It would have been like comparing a snow cone to a shave ice.

Here is something funny. I haven't had either in many years, maybe a couple decades or more! So tonight after seeing that they still sell Icees in Honolulu I wondered if the sell them in Oregon anymore. I did a location search and they are still everywhere. Heck, I guess the only grocery store in the village close to where we live sells them. I must walk by that Icee machine at least once a week and never even noticed it!
Lol, go get one and tell me what you think. I used to get them at sears in ala moana and places like mr youngs crackseed store in honolulu. Today i get 7-11 slurpies and wondered how lychee or li hing mui would taste like in a slurpie.

Old 11-09-2014, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiBoy View Post
Nice try at being snarky and sorry to disappoint you but I do know the history Daiai and Don Quijote at that location. I've been in the store and members of my family have worked for Daiei in Japan. I used the / between their names to show they are virtually the same.

And the fact remains the current Don Quijote is basically a less appealing version of a old Walmart.
I wasn't being snarky, My point is its unique, different. You don't see Daiai/Don Quijote in every city in the mainland. You see Walmart thou. We have gone way off topic. The point of having to much emphasis on modern materal stuff to bring one happiness is people tend to forget to look around and realise we live on a tropical island, tend to forget culture etc. The redevelopments are not an issue if we don't forget what the spirit of the islands is. But is an issue if it keeps us from having aloha for each other and taking care of eachother. When developers are talking about affordable housing

Pg 1/2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: