Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 07:27 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,101,104 times

Advertisements

Well I'm certainly not driving around when it rains super heavy, so that's why I don't see stuff like that.

Mr. Bond has quite the opinion in that article you linked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 07:45 PM

133 posts, read 182,556 times
Re: Kakaako… There's often a funky sewer-y smell in the air. Can anyone confirm? Is it indeed sewer smells? Blech.

Old 10-09-2014, 09:06 PM

959 posts, read 1,217,555 times
Lots of concern about the effect of rising sea levels on the water table levels under Waikiki and Kaka'ako. Greater incidence of flooding and water pooling during heavy rains will be some of the earliest obvious signs.

If sea levels continue to rise as predicted, eventually (100 yrs from now) Kaka'ako and Waikiki may be abandonded regardless of any additional development or not.

As for the Mall, I like it in general and it is building new memories today for all the kids that spend time there now. But I try to walk there when I go because my place is within a short walk, and parking is as bad as everyone says.

Old 10-09-2014, 09:55 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,762,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiBoy View Post
Lots of concern about the effect of rising sea levels on the water table levels under Waikiki and Kaka'ako. Greater incidence of flooding and water pooling during heavy rains will be some of the earliest obvious signs.

If sea levels continue to rise as predicted, eventually (100 yrs from now) Kaka'ako and Waikiki may be abandonded regardless of any additional development or not.

As for the Mall, I like it in general and it is building new memories today for all the kids that spend time there now. But I try to walk there when I go because my place is within a short walk, and parking is as bad as everyone says.
Are you also a Kaka`ako or ala moana resident WaikikiBoy? Yes i was reading about the rising sea level and the problem with the really old sewer system. Both will make trouble.

Old 10-10-2014, 12:03 AM

351 posts, read 587,663 times
Default In all fairness to hawaiian by heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
It's a shopping center. Not a place to run around and not spend a dime. Not a place to reconnect with friends. If you aren't there to shop - then you go out of business (like Sears).

If you want to reconnect with friends - go to the beach or a park. Don't clutter up a shopping mall.
I remember as a little boy my father taking me to Ala Moana Center on Sundays when it was closed in the seventies, and spending time with me as I rode my scooter all over the deserted center. I also used to play in the sand boxes that were there, they were taken out a long time ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
For folks that prefer to read and don't have the time to watch all of the YouTube videos, here are links to the original KHON series of articles about Ala Moana…
Part I: Introduction | KHON2
Part II: Origin | KHON2
Part III: Construction | KHON2
Part IV: Early Years | KHON2
Part V: Evolution | KHON2
Part VI: Transformation | KHON2
Part VII: Future | KHON2

While I miss Woolworth's, Liberty House, Sears and some of the other stores that used to be at Ala Moana, as long as Shirokiya is still around, I'll probably continue to shop there.
I agree! I love Shirokiya for their incredible variety of bentos and ramen. I remember when Shirokiya had women from Japan dressed in uniform bowing to customers who were entering the escalators to go to the second floor. LOL

Last edited by Honolulu21; 10-10-2014 at 12:11 AM..

Old 10-10-2014, 12:04 AM

959 posts, read 1,217,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Are you also a Kaka`ako or ala moana resident WaikikiBoy? Yes i was reading about the rising sea level and the problem with the really old sewer system. Both will make trouble.
No, my condo is on the Waikiki side of the Ala Wai. Not far from Hobron & Ala Moana. It's a short walk to the mall or Ala Moana beach park.

I've toured the sales office and model units for the Ward Village development in Kaka'ako (something like 10 new towers and planned development). The units are high end and expensive, but beautiful. It will change the area completely. But, some of the towers will have some really interesting architectural design and I'm very curious to see what the look like once built.

Old 10-10-2014, 03:16 AM

323 posts, read 428,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
It's a shopping center. Not a place to run around and not spend a dime. Not a place to reconnect with friends. If you aren't there to shop - then you go out of business (like Sears).

If you want to reconnect with friends - go to the beach or a park. Don't clutter up a shopping mall.
This is FreaKinG funny!

Old 10-10-2014, 01:11 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,762,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhboy View Post
This is FreaKinG funny!

The Rock - It doesn't matter what you think! - YouTube

Old 10-10-2014, 06:04 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,264,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu21 View Post
I agree! I love Shirokiya for their incredible variety of bentos and ramen. I remember when Shirokiya had women from Japan dressed in uniform bowing to customers who were entering the escalators to go to the second floor. LOL
I remember the "uniformed greeters" near the escalators as well.

The second level of Shirokiya used to have a fairly decent selection of electronics, household items, and groceries from Japan, so I was a little disappointed when they turned the entire level into a food court a few years ago. However, at least the Ala Moana Shirokiya managed to keep its doors open and didn't share the fate of the ones at Pearlridge and on Maui.
Shirokiya bids aloha to Pearlridge store
Saving Shirokiya

Old 10-10-2014, 06:10 PM

1,049 posts, read 1,607,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
While I miss Woolworth's, Liberty House, Sears and some of the other stores that used to be at Ala Moana, as long as Shirokiya is still around, I'll probably continue to shop there.
Can't beat the $4 pitchers of PBR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: