Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 09:23 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,254,535 times

Advertisements

Now there is only Two Shipping companies in Hawaii. Pasha Group and Matson.
Horizon Lines announced Tuesday it is selling its Hawaii shipping operation to The Pasha Group for roughly $141.5 million.
In becoming part of Pasha, Horizon’s Hawaii business would operate alongside Pasha’s existing operations.
Wonder, if or when prices will rise. Only time will tell??

Horizon Lines to sell off Hawaii operation, merge with Matson | KHON2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 10:23 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
There's also a chance it could lower shipping costs, as the economist in your article explained.

Quote:
“It’s possible the everyday person would see some increase in goods, but mergers also take place because firms expect to see cost savings, and cost-savings can also push prices down,” La Croix said. “At this point, it is too early to tell.”

Old 11-13-2014, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
There's also a chance it could lower shipping costs, as the economist in your article explained.
I hope so. Would be nice.

Old 11-13-2014, 11:17 PM

181 posts, read 274,121 times
Quote:
This is only slightly less likely than the chance of Guam capsizing.

Efficiency won't go up enough to be a factor. At the same time, now there are two options where there were three. Two is rivalry, not competition, and it's competition that drives prices down.

Old 11-13-2014, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloPilot View Post
This is only slightly less likely than the chance of Guam capsizing.
Efficiency won't go up enough to be a factor. At the same time, now there are two options where there were three. Two is rivalry, not competition, and it's competition that drives prices down.
Believe what you will, I think there is still a possibility, and only time will tell.

Several points lead me to this conclusion. First, even after the merger, Matson will still be the 800# gorilla. How does a smaller rival go after a bigger share of the market? Lowering prices is a time honored strategy.

Second, Horizon couldn't have been doing that well to be willing to sell two of their lines... so that indicates to me that Pasha could make Horizon more efficient by reorganizing their operations, which could lower operating costs. It's hard for me to believe Pasha would have made the deal unless they could do it better.

Third, the announcements say that Pash will continue operating Horizon as a separate unit. My guess is that Pasha will concentrate on the vehicle transport business, where they have the best specialized ships, and Horizon will focus on the containerized shipments. But that's just a guess, and it will be interesting to see what they do.

Old 11-15-2014, 01:55 PM

246 posts, read 650,184 times
Nope prices will not drop. ever.
I moved to 'merica in 2010 and also shipped my car up. Prices were $1000 for my mid-sized car. I moved back to honolulu a couple years later due to the bad job market.

I am moving back to 'merica again, this time with job reserved. Price to ship the same car up is $1300. That's pretty steep inflation for 4 years.

Understand that Hawaii works differently with commerce and economics with cost of products, goods, and service. EVERYTHING is hinged on the the might of labor unions. Hawaii unions have the most power and influence vs. most if not all other states, and that results in ridiculously high wages which transfers to you the consumer. No matter the company or competition all business runs through services of the labors which is why their unions has Hawaii in its pocket.

The reason for sharp cost increases that you see here are directly due to the constant renegotiation of wages by unions every couple of years.

Old 11-15-2014, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost_traveler1 View Post
Nope prices will not drop. ever.
I moved to 'merica in 2010 and also shipped my car up. Prices were $1000 for my mid-sized car. I moved back to honolulu a couple years later due to the bad job market.

I am moving back to 'merica again, this time with job reserved. Price to ship the same car up is $1300. That's pretty steep inflation for 4 years.
I just checked, and Pasha quotes $1,100 Honolulu>>>California. Same price it's been for maybe 5 years.

That's 0% inflation over 4 years.

Old 11-25-2014, 03:28 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Quote:
Probably not.....

"Shippers using Matson Inc. for service to or from Hawaii will be paying an average 5.4 percent more.
The company announced Tuesday that rates will increase by $225 per westbound container and $110 per eastbound container, effective January 4."

Matson raising Hawaii rates - Hawaii News - Honolulu Star-Advertiser

Old 11-25-2014, 04:11 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,573,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Probably not.....

"Shippers using Matson Inc. for service to or from Hawaii will be paying an average 5.4 percent more.
The company announced Tuesday that rates will increase by $225 per westbound container and $110 per eastbound container, effective January 4."

Matson raising Hawaii rates - Hawaii News - Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Nothing says 'Being Screwed in Hawaii' quite as much as that.

Aolha

Old 11-25-2014, 09:49 PM

Looks like Matson didn't waste time in raising rates. Wonder if Pasha will follow?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu