Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2014, 04:01 PM

137 posts, read 353,485 times

Advertisements

A fellow church member made positive contact with an elected official here and I thought that was pretty neat to talk to an official about an issue that is important to my friend. I was thinking about trying this out as well and contacting an official about boosting local food production. There were a couple things I was trying to figure out though.

1. One was which elected official would be the most appropriate one to write to, someone who would hold the most power to make change regarding local food production and who would be the most receptive to feedback as well. I was thinking that Governor Ige would be a good option.
Action Plan | David Ige for Governor

2. Two would be which proposal, law, or policy could I choose that would positively address the issue. For this, I was thinking about writing about this proposal (although I can't tell if this has been passed or not):
Measure Status

or

The policy on page 35 of this strategy:
http://files.hawaii.gov/dbedt/op/spb...Y_STRATEGY.pdf

3a. Do you have any thoughts on a 'better' official to write to?
3b. Do you have any thoughts on a more fitting proposal, law, or policy that would address local food production extremely well?

Thank you!

Last edited by doitright1; 12-07-2014 at 04:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2014, 04:17 PM

12,120 posts, read 18,023,619 times
I'd call the office of your local house or senate representative.

Old 12-08-2014, 12:12 AM

941 posts, read 1,974,886 times
All elected officials will reply with a vague letter of support written by some office intern. I suppose they do keep track of public opinion and written letter topics, but who knows.

I agree, start with your district representative and state senator.

But it would also help to have ideas and spread them (and test them) through social media and targeted channels. How should the government help promote food self-sufficiency, and why? Does it save money, does it create jobs, etc. For example, I think the state should encourage small farmers with ag land leases that are subsidized, just like renewable energy is subsidized through tax credits, to promote ag almond use as opposed to (over-)development. State government could also try to set up processing facilities (slaughter houses, cold storage, poi mills, commercial kitchens) that meet difficult federal guidelines and which can be shared by small scale producers.

Finally, I think in the end, people will only take you seriously if you walk the walk: are you a small or large scale farmer yourself, what's your experience?

Old 12-10-2014, 11:57 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,142,443 times
It's a bit harder on Oahu due to the population, but if you're on one of the other islands, getting the ear of an elected official is easy. If they don't live near you, their cousin does.

Your basic desire is to boost local food production? What is the place of government in these things? Can they help or would more laws hinder? Should the state be running such things as processing plants?

A lot of the ag land leases, small commercial kitchens, etc., are already being done on the Hamakua coast of the Big Island so maybe these things are already available?

What about the University? CTAHR has a huge group of folks already working on agricultural things. Perhaps they would be the ones to help?

I think the Hawaii Commissioner of Agriculture is Scott Enright. You could address your ideas to him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu