Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2014, 10:37 AM

8 posts, read 14,878 times

Advertisements

Since I probably will move to Honolulu next year, I begin to wonder if there are big stores like Joann or Hancock which sell all kinds of sewing/home décor/craft related stuff such as fabric, sewing patterns/accessories etc. I did use Joann and Hancock store locator, unfortunately, got nothing. I have shopped most of my sewing stuff from Joann, kind of got used to it. Feeling very disappointed and worried now. Are there any stores there in Honolulu similar as Joann or Hancock? Thank you.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 10:50 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,917,108 times
I guess I'll try again - there is a large Ben Franklin in Kailua.

Old 12-08-2014, 05:49 PM

58 posts, read 93,915 times
If you are a knitter, there are even a few local yarn stores on Oahu. Yarn Story is in Honolulu.

Old 12-08-2014, 06:29 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,674,120 times
How about Googling "fabric store Oahu". I just did and five stores came up. Not sure that any are comparable with JoAnn or Hancock, but certainly it looks like you'll have some of what you need.

You have just learned your first lesson in "1000 Things That Are Different About Living in Hawaii". This is an on-going theme through many of the threads here on the forum. If availability of what you have back home is going to be worrisome, then perhaps Hawaii isn't for you.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:10 PM

351 posts, read 587,333 times
Default One popular store among locals is Fabric Mart..

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn2000 View Post
Since I probably will move to Honolulu next year, I begin to wonder if there are big stores like Joann or Hancock which sell all kinds of sewing/home décor/craft related stuff such as fabric, sewing patterns/accessories etc. I did use Joann and Hancock store locator, unfortunately, got nothing. I have shopped most of my sewing stuff from Joann, kind of got used to it. Feeling very disappointed and worried now. Are there any stores there in Honolulu similar as Joann or Hancock? Thank you.
One popular store among locals is Fabric Mart. I think its owned by Korean immigrants. I been there myself, and you can't beat the variety of fabrics and other sewing paraphernalia that's available there.

Here is a link:Hawaiian Fabric Mart - Buy hawaiian print fabrics at wholesale prices (The Best selection of hawaiian and oriental fabric)

Last edited by Honolulu21; 12-08-2014 at 10:28 PM..

Old 12-09-2014, 12:30 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,038,603 times
Nope, no JoAnn's, Michael's or any other mainland fabric stores, but we do have Fabric Mart on Oahu as well as Singer's Discount Fabrics on the Big Island: Gotfabric.com, Discounts, Low Prices, Clearance Fabrics, Novelty Fabrics, Superman Prints, Batman Prints, Children Fabrics, Purse Handles, Embellisments, East Wind Patterns, Victoria Jones Patterns, Robert Kaufman Prints, RJR Fabrics, Hawaiian Cotton - should you feel the need for massive quantities of Aloha fabric.

There are probably a few small Asian fabric places tucked away here or there, best bet would be to ask one of the quilting groups. There are a few bead stores, there are several yarn stores, there are several hula supply stores which are sort of craft related.

Old 12-10-2014, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Nope, no JoAnn's, Michael's or any other mainland fabric stores, but we do have Fabric Mart on Oahu as well as Singer's Discount Fabrics on the Big Island: Gotfabric.com, Discounts, Low Prices, Clearance Fabrics, Novelty Fabrics, Superman Prints, Batman Prints, Children Fabrics, Purse Handles, Embellisments, East Wind Patterns, Victoria Jones Patterns, Robert Kaufman Prints, RJR Fabrics, Hawaiian Cotton - should you feel the need for massive quantities of Aloha fabric.

There are probably a few small Asian fabric places tucked away here or there, best bet would be to ask one of the quilting groups. There are a few bead stores, there are several yarn stores, there are several hula supply stores which are sort of craft related.
Thank you very much for the very detailed information! Oahu is a city/town about 30mins drive from Honolulu (based on google map)? What about Big Island? I initially post my question on "Big Island" and was told Honolulu is not on the Big Island? So need to take ferry there? The life seems to be quite different there!

Old 12-10-2014, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Oahu is a city/town about 30mins drive from Honolulu (based on google map)? What about Big Island? I initially post my question on "Big Island" and was told Honolulu is not on the Big Island? So need to take ferry there?
Oahu is an island. It is not a city nor a town.

Honolulu is city on the island of Oahu.

Honolulu is not on Hawaii Island - otherwise known as the "Big Island"

You cannot take a ferry to the Big Island. Only a plane.

Old 12-10-2014, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I guess I'll try again - there is a large Ben Franklin in Kailua.
Did you mean this?

Ben Franklin Crafts Hawaii

Old 12-10-2014, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Did you mean this?

Ben Franklin Crafts Hawaii
yes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu