Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 12:17 AM

181 posts, read 274,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
That isn't lost on anybody.

You can't fake the enthusiasm they had in the Today show interview I posted and while they might be barred from saying anything negative, they certainly didn't have to do interviews.

And they definitely won't forget the President calling them on their wedding day and the video that came with it.

It was a memorable day - in a very good way.
Actors fake enthusiasm all the time.

Military officers who intend to stay in the service generally become very good at faking enthusiasm, for the same reason that Hollywood actors do. They may have been told by higher authority that they "should" do interviews.

As far as the President calling, well, I guess some people would enjoy that. The last president that I would have wanted a call from was Reagan.

They may be just fine with this, but a few smiles on TV aren't proof one way or the other.

What annoys me about the whole thing is the automatic assumption that everyone else on the island must rearrange their lives and plans to suit one guy's vacations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 01:20 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,587,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloPilot View Post
What annoys me about the whole thing is the automatic assumption that everyone else on the island must rearrange their lives and plans to suit one guy's vacations.
Oh, really?

Old 01-08-2015, 01:23 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,975,901 times
Quote:

As far as the President calling, well, I guess some people would enjoy that. The last president that I would have wanted a call from was Reagan.
Ah. Now we get it.

Old 01-08-2015, 04:06 AM

6,786 posts, read 5,516,087 times
Here's the thing:
ALL presidents have a "get-a-way spot" somewhere in the country.
Obama's just happens to be Hawaii, and I am surprised he is the only current one to consistantly do so. If I were president {laughs heartily} I would vacation in Hawaii, too! Kennebunkport MAine? NAH! Stay in Washington? NAH!

ANYWHERE ANY of the Presidents go, it disrupts things, whether on the campagn trail, or in support of a disaster, or whatever have you.

In some case it brings in additional dollars, but it also costs the municipality/state/county/city/town money to Protect him/{future her?} Think about this: NO area wants to be the one he was assasinated in! And taxpayers will pay, regardless if federal dollars or local dollars are spent.

Whether it brings in additional tourist dollars, well, I don't really thingk Hawaii needs that kind of endorsement, it has its own draw and allure, especially with temps that ar in the negative 20s like here now. Ah, to be back in Hawaii, soon enough, soon enough... {pines away for a moment}

Old 01-09-2015, 11:02 PM

181 posts, read 274,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Ah. Now we get it.
Probably not, but if you like your delusions, you can keep your delusions.

Reagan was the last president that I was able to believe actually cared about us rather than just collecting power. The ones since Reagan may as well have been LBJ or Nixon retreads.

Old 01-09-2015, 11:25 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,824,178 times
Quote:
Reagan was the last president that I was able to believe actually cared about us rather than just collecting power.
I think if you look at the true history of what Reagan actually did, you would see that he was definitely no better than anyone since. However, this is not the proper forum for that discussion, so I won't go any further.

Old 01-10-2015, 01:26 PM

749 posts, read 855,514 times
It was supposed to be Their day, sure they have something exciting and different to talk about for the rest of their lives but I would not be surprised if they have a 'redo' of Their Wedding without all of the press, hype, etc. The whole episode makes the prez look like a selfish......whatever.

Old 01-10-2015, 02:23 PM

258 posts, read 423,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdr22 View Post
It was supposed to be Their day, sure they have something exciting and different to talk about for the rest of their lives but I would not be surprised if they have a 'redo' of Their Wedding without all of the press, hype, etc. The whole episode makes the prez look like a selfish......whatever.
Wow. That's insanity. Most people aren't so narcissistic that they would need a "redo" because their wedding wasn't 100% about them. Give them a little credit.

Honestly it sounds like it wasn't a big deal to the couple that their wedding was moved, it was in their contract, they even joked about it with their photographer that it could happen before it actually happened. I'm not sure why some people have such a hard time believing nobody was hurt in this situation, other than they reacted only to the news headlines (which were intentionally written to be scandalous) instead of the facts, or can't see beyond what their own reaction would be to accept someone else may react differently.

~Katy

Old 01-10-2015, 05:16 PM

749 posts, read 855,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakers View Post
Wow. That's insanity. Most people aren't so narcissistic that they would need a "redo" because their wedding wasn't 100% about them. Give them a little credit.

Honestly it sounds like it wasn't a big deal to the couple that their wedding was moved, it was in their contract, they even joked about it with their photographer that it could happen before it actually happened. I'm not sure why some people have such a hard time believing nobody was hurt in this situation, other than they reacted only to the news headlines (which were intentionally written to be scandalous) instead of the facts, or can't see beyond what their own reaction would be to accept someone else may react differently.

~Katy
Who should peoples weddings be about? Could be our president needs reminding that he is not a king whose desire to play a game of golf should - just maybe - not be without consideration of the lowly peasants - oh that's right the Big Guy did give them a phone call to say.........yeah 'sorry 'bout that little folk now you can go on the morning shows and talk about Me and how great I am'.

Old 01-10-2015, 07:12 PM

58 posts, read 94,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdr22 View Post
The White House/President didn't even know about the conflict until AFTER it all went down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu