Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2015, 06:23 PM

12 posts, read 11,612 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I will be visiting for the first time and plan to rent a moped/scooter for 2 days so I can see more than Waikiki. I saw a website where they offer 50cc ones. My question is...is that enough to go on the highways? I plan on taking this thing around the whole island and I don't want to be holding up traffic on the highways. If I go for the 200cc one, will I need a motorcycle license? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 07:35 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,975,901 times
You cannot take a moped on H-1, H-2, H-3, Pali Highway, or Likelike Highway.

Old 03-27-2015, 09:00 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,878,289 times
Does your state require a separate motorcycle license? If not then you can operate a motorcycle here. But why not rent a car? Probably cheaper and more convenient and SAFER.

Old 03-27-2015, 11:00 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,264,710 times
Agree. Rent a small car. That way you will be able to see more of Oahu. Moped you will not be able to go on the Freeways like posted before.

Old 03-30-2015, 10:33 AM

12 posts, read 11,612 times
Thanks for the advice, all. You've convinced me to forgo the moped for a Smart car. I thought parking would be a hassle in many areas and a moped would make it easier. I also (to my surprise) heard cars get broken into and stolen quite frequently in Hawaii.

Old 03-30-2015, 02:59 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,095,275 times
They don't always steal the cars unless they want parts, mostly they steal the stuff inside to pawn for money. So a lot of stuff gets stolen and cars get broken into. Especially rental cars since everyone knows tourists leave expensive stuff inside of them and then they go away in ten days and aren't around to prosecute charges if anyone gets caught. Plus the big businesses sort of see tourists as their source of income so that attitude filters down to the "lower socio-economic group" as well. And rental cars are really easy to spot. They are new, they are shiny, they have the little bar code sticker on them. You could perhaps get some sort of local decal and put over the bar code sticker, but it will still look like a rental from a distance, it just won't have the final confirmation.

Old 03-31-2015, 12:02 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,264,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
They don't always steal the cars unless they want parts, mostly they steal the stuff inside to pawn for money. So a lot of stuff gets stolen and cars get broken into. Especially rental cars since everyone knows tourists leave expensive stuff inside of them and then they go away in ten days and aren't around to prosecute charges if anyone gets caught. Plus the big businesses sort of see tourists as their source of income so that attitude filters down to the "lower socio-economic group" as well. And rental cars are really easy to spot. They are new, they are shiny, they have the little bar code sticker on them. You could perhaps get some sort of local decal and put over the bar code sticker, but it will still look like a rental from a distance, it just won't have the final confirmation.
Agree!
They know all the hot spots that visitors like to go see.
Try to rent a older car, and make it dirty, attempt to cover up the bar code? Do not leave your expensive stuff in the car. Anything to give them some trouble and not a easy hit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu