Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2011, 10:36 PM

23 posts, read 31,730 times

Advertisements

The car rental rates are not to my liking. Can someone suggest a good moped rental place? I like the Vespa looking ones. Im looking to use it for the entire month of Aug.

Also if you work Mon through Fri 8am to 3/5pm kind of job is it too rainy now in Honolulu to use this moped daily? Id use the bus for definite rainy days.

I was not able to find any rent-a-wreck kind of places so open to those suggestions too. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 11:01 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,998,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelyI View Post
The car rental rates are not to my liking. Can someone suggest a good moped rental place? I like the Vespa looking ones. Im looking to use it for the entire month of Aug.

Also if you work Mon through Fri 8am to 3/5pm kind of job is it too rainy now in Honolulu to use this moped daily? Id use the bus for definite rainy days.

I was not able to find any rent-a-wreck kind of places so open to those suggestions too. Thanks!
What is your budget? I live in Waikiki and moped rentals generally run $25/day - car rentals with some searching can be had in the $29/day rate range so not much savings.

That is going to be a tough commute on a moped. You aren't going to be able to keep up with traffic on Kalanianaole Highway and 8am you are going to be caught in traffic with people heading into town - and school starts mid-August. A quick google search will show you a lot of moped fatalities on Kalanianaole highway.

Regarding rain - August is the dry season but you can get quick showers any given day, usually in the morning and evenings - unless a tropical storm blows thru there isn't going to be a forecast in August of all day rain.

Old 07-25-2011, 11:36 PM

whtviper1 I saw mopeds for sell at $1300 brand new free shipping in Oahu. I wonder what a monthly rental rate is, not the hourly or daily rate for tourist.
Also Im considering living in Aina Haina for the first month. Actually living there is my best deal so far for housing situations. I have all of 3/4 days to figure this out.

Old 07-26-2011, 12:21 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,239,379 times
Lovely,

You should map it on mapquest or some program and see if you can use arterial or secondary roads to get from point A to B. You definitely won't want to be on the highway.

For $1300, you'd be better off buying it, using it and then selling when you leave, than renting.

Old 07-26-2011, 12:22 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,998,506 times
Hawaiian Style Rentals has mopeds by the month for $450 for the low end model - they are located near diamond head.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:12 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,880,100 times
Car Rentals Hawaii Cheap and discounted, Car Rentals in Hawaii at VIP Car Rental $476 for a car! If you don't have parking in Kaimuki though it could be a real drag. Mopeds get stolen regularly. People on mopeds get run over regularly but more likely it would get stolen. If you are close enough to Waialae and can walk there then the bus would be easy. The route is pretty flat around Diamond Head along Kahala Ave. and then Kalanianaole Highway that you could ride a bike if you're reasonably fit. I think a moped would be plan D.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:13 AM

124 posts, read 432,559 times
I must agree with Honobob. Honolulu and Oahu in general, experiences motor vehicle accidents almost daily where it seems pedestrians, moped or bicycle riders are injured and sometimes killed. People around here simply don't pay attention when they drive. There is lots of traffic, narrow roads, cell phone usage and texting while driving. If you must ride a moped, be very defensive. Even though you will find it is rather hot and perhaps uncomfortable, it is absolutely essential to wear a good quality helmet!

Old 08-01-2011, 01:54 AM

Im on the island. My co-worker pretty much forbid the moped. Shes from here and she thinks its a bad idea, I trust her judgment. I got here last night. No food so this morning I road the bus down to the Foodland by the old McDonalds in Aina Hiana. Good commute. Bus ride was fine too. Im sticking to the bus and coworkers until I buy/lease something. Also today I looked at a rental in Hawaii Kai, 1/1 cottage for 975 month. It was all good. I ate at Zippys for lunch, yum.
Going to bed now, first day at work in the morning. Anyone out there thinking of making this move, trust me, if you are determine this is easy! Dont be picky, go with the flow, and get a job before coming.
Oh and wow if your flight is long (15 hours) then long layover are GOOD for you, you'll want the rest from being on the plane, aim for 3 to 4 hour lay overs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: