Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 10:14 PM

163 posts, read 316,542 times

Advertisements

I'll just put it out there lol... My credit is bad. I had a business that went belly up and I tried hard to save it. Anyway, basically I've been settling my debts etc.

My husbands credit is great, he will have a good job there making the correct 2.5% over our rent. Will they look at my credit to rent? How does that work exactly? We own our home here so we have never ran into this problem before.

I should probably run my credit so I know exactly what's on there and what isn't since I've done a lot of settling.

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2013, 10:36 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,901,605 times
If your husbands income can cover the rent and your credit is good - that is sufficient.

And rather than the landlord running the credit - your husband should run his credit and give a copy to the landlord so you don't get charged an application fee.

Old 07-06-2013, 02:04 AM

32,635 posts, read 48,005,355 times
Many landlords will not accept a copy of your credit report that you hand to them. It is too easy to modify one using the computer word processor.

Many landlords will also charge you the application fee whether you have a copy of your credit report or not. The credit report is only a small part of the screening process.

One partner with good credit, one with bad credit. Married, sufficient verifiable income to cover rent, whether or not you get accepted depends upon what is on that bad credit report.

You don't have landlord references, but your mortgage will show up on your credit report to prove you owned your house. If you sold that house, give the number of the listing agent and he can tell your new landlord what condition you left your house in. That will do as a substitute for a landlord reference.

Yes, OP, it is a good idea for you to get a copy of your credit report and to see what is on it. I see a lot of credit reports that have a whole bunch of little collections that could easily be paid off. I see collections for amounts as small as $12. I've seen a credit report with 14 collections and the total of all of it was under $800, but the applicant wouldn't pay them to get them off his credit report.

It helps when the credit report shows that debts have been paid. Better to pay late than refusing to pay at all. So at least get the small amount ones paid off.

Old 07-06-2013, 02:22 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,901,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Many landlords will not accept a copy of your credit report that you hand to them. It is too easy to modify one using the computer word processor.
That is simply untrue. Grossly untrue.

Walk away from any landlord that wants to charge you an unnecessary fee just for the heck of it.

Old 07-06-2013, 03:16 AM

1,730 posts, read 3,809,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klein5 View Post
My husbands credit is great, he will have a good job there making the correct 2.5% over our rent. Will they look at my credit to rent? How does that work exactly?
It will depend on the policy(s) of the realtor and/or the landlord. I've known of realtors to run a credit check on every occupant who is signing the lease, be it multiple roommates, couples, or a single. Some deciding factors could include:
  • Is the landlord having a hard time renting the dwelling? The more desperate the landlord, the more lenient they might be.
  • What was their experience with previous tenants? A landlord who has had a rent collection problem in the past might look very closely at a potential renters credit, and not want to deal with anyone with poor credit.
  • What instructions has the landlord given to the realtor? A realtor who has firm instructions from the owner to screen by credit worthiness will be a harder sell for you than dealing with a landlord directly who might listen to your explanations.

It really is a "you can't tell how it will go until you try" situation. Good luck.

Old 07-06-2013, 04:16 AM

106 posts, read 230,118 times
i have a friend who recently rented a one bedroom for her and her daughter, she has bad credit and the works, but she has a good job and she explained her situation to the owner of the apt complex and the owner liked her and was plussed by her job,

Definitely the exception, not the rule, but this was a rental by owner, not a property management co.

Old 07-06-2013, 09:29 AM

Thanks for the info. I think there is no harm in trying to printing his off and handing it to them. If they don't accept it I'll go from there. Meanwhile, I'll print mine off and see how it looks lol. Maybe it will look ok since I am settling debts as I can and they were all in LARGE sums. I've paid off almost all of them. There is just a few smaller ones left. I still have revolving personal accounts open that I've never been late on. As the OP stated, perhaps if dealing with the owner I can explain the situation.

Old 07-06-2013, 10:35 AM

My husband is going there for work a month or so before we go. Could he find a place and sign the lease etc before we come? That sure would make everything a lot easier esp coming with 3 kids and already having a place to go. I wonder if I would still have to run my credit then?

Old 07-06-2013, 10:46 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,314,963 times
My credit score isn't the best. I don't think it mattered once I proved my work history and income. Not that a federal job is great financial security these days.... 20% pay cut... *grumble*

Old 07-06-2013, 11:33 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,740,718 times
Offer them an enormous deposit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: