Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 05:13 PM

2 posts, read 2,949 times

Advertisements

Hi, like the title says, i'm a 20 year old female student currently at Texas Christian University. Regardless of moving to Hawaii or not, I'm transferring to a cheaper local school so I'm not having to get out such large loans for TCU (which is $25,000 a semester). So, instead for the next year I will be at UNT ($3,500 per semester), which I believe my parents are just going to pay for without loans!
So, it's been a dream of mine to move to Hawaii for a while now. I've been doing a lot of research on apartments, the cost of living, and colleges (specifically UH Manoa). I currently have a 3.25 GPA as a math major, and I believe I will be accepted.
To save money in the long run, I thought I could move to Hawaii for a little over a year before I start at UH Manoa so I can receive resident tuition. Once I arrive, I plan to job hunt day and night until I get a job. My whole life I've been an incredibly hard worker, so this should not be hard for me. I plan on asking my parents to split the cost of my apartment and expenses 50/50 once I'm there. My dad makes over $100k a year, and I would get an apartment around $1000 a month or so.
I'm currently getting $160 a week for work during the school year, which I will continue to have til Hawaii, and starting next week, I have another part time job where i'm guaranteed 15 hours (at least $105 a week). And I plan to save ALL of this, as I'm great at saving. So, by the time next summer comes around, I know I'll have AT LEAST over $6000 saved up.
For extra info, I don't know whether I should bring my car or not. I think I could go a while without it, but in the long run I would obviously want it with me to drive to other beaches! I love exploring and going on adventures, so it's a must.
I'm super active and love the outdoors and beach, so I can't wait to see all that Hawaii has to offer in this new chapter in my life!

Is this completely doable?? I want to start making changes in the plan as soon as possible, or just get any advice or additional info ahead of time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 06:12 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,990,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirandameis View Post
I plan on asking my parents to split the cost of my apartment and expenses 50/50 once I'm there. My dad makes over $100k a year, and I would get an apartment around $1000 a month or so.
Seems to me you should start the discussion with your parents first rather than an internet forum.

Old 04-20-2015, 06:24 PM

2 posts, read 2,949 times
I've already brought up going to school in Hawaii, and they said "do it, you need to go to school wherever you desire." I'm just giving estimates to get advice now so I can present my parents with information I've gotten on what's doable and reasonable.

Old 04-20-2015, 06:48 PM

Since your parents are going to be partially funding your adventure I'd focus on this:

Wait until you are 21 - options for working at bars/restaurant become available

See if you get accepted to UH

If you do, then immediately speak to one of the residency counselors - you'll be highly restricted on the number of credits you can take the first year but the need to speak to the residency counselor is very important.

UH Manoa Undergraduate Admissions: Financing Options: Hawaii Residency Requirements

Old 04-22-2015, 12:47 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,266,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Since your parents are going to be partially funding your adventure I'd focus on this:

Wait until you are 21 - options for working at bars/restaurant become available

See if you get accepted to UH

If you do, then immediately speak to one of the residency counselors - you'll be highly restricted on the number of credits you can take the first year but the need to speak to the residency counselor is very important.

UH Manoa Undergraduate Admissions: Financing Options: Hawaii Residency Requirements
Good advice to follow.
The best, and cheapest ways to get around is the Bus. You can pick up monthly bus passes at any Foodland, Safeway, and Times Super markets. As well as any satellite City Hall.
TheBus

Best of luck in your search.

Old 04-22-2015, 05:34 AM

1 posts, read 1,390 times
Yep, completely doable. Given your background you will be accepted at UH. Get that going ASAP, I think it will help you with residency. I suggest bringing your car given your desire to explore. It's dangerous to use a bicycle, the get hit by cars a lot. If UH tries to charge you for parking, just park along Dole St. or up the road at St. Louis heights.

I suggest focusing on school; esp. doing as much research as possible in one of the sciences if they interest you. Hawaii is a natural outdoor laboratory and there are great departments in Geology, Oceanography, Marine Biology, etc.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:42 AM

2,048 posts, read 2,166,301 times
Dumb question maybe, but how do you bring a car to Hawaii?

Old 04-22-2015, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallouise View Post
Dumb question maybe, but how do you bring a car to Hawaii?
On a ship

Old 04-22-2015, 01:55 PM

2,048 posts, read 2,166,301 times
Huh. I guess I thought (not being a West coaster) Hawaii was way too far by boat for that to be an affordable option.

Since funds are an issue, OP might consider selling her ride, having the cash for living expenses in case a job isn't found right away, and then buying another one in Hawaii once she gets on her feet (after seeing if she even needs one there). Unless car buying is really expensive in Hawaii.

What about the job market there? Is it easy for a student with a good work ethic to find a job quickly?

Old 04-22-2015, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallouise View Post
Huh. I guess I thought (not being a West coaster) Hawaii was way too far by boat for that to be an affordable option.

What about the job market there? Is it easy for a student with a good work ethic to find a job quickly?
Not a boat - a ship. How do you think we get our food, TV's, appliances, etc?

Students can generally get jobs pretty quickly at retail stores, bars, and restaurants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: