Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 04:12 PM

1 posts, read 2,234 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Rhode Island and I have been offered a transfer to Honolulu through my employer to Honolulu. However I have not been offered a pay raise. I will be making $180,000. I have heard that Honolulu has a notoriously high cost of living. Is it realistic to buy a house in Honolulu on this income? Is it realistic to have a decent lifestyle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2015, 06:20 PM

2 posts, read 2,945 times
Maybe if you're comfortable living in a studio. Otherwise, consider roommates.

Old 07-19-2015, 06:41 PM

18,401 posts, read 19,027,378 times
my husband and I could live comfortable on that income

Old 07-19-2015, 08:56 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,816,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMorse38 View Post
Maybe if you're comfortable living in a studio. Otherwise, consider roommates.

Did you not count the zeros in that number?

Old 07-19-2015, 09:10 PM

1,585 posts, read 2,110,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnc1981 View Post
I currently live in Rhode Island and I have been offered a transfer to Honolulu through my employer to Honolulu. However I have not been offered a pay raise. I will be making $180,000. I have heard that Honolulu has a notoriously high cost of living. Is it realistic to buy a house in Honolulu on this income? Is it realistic to have a decent lifestyle?
Go with a roommate on CL and consider getting a second part-time job. Prepare to eat nothing but saimin, spam and rice.

Old 07-19-2015, 09:12 PM

1,620 posts, read 2,301,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post

Did you not count the zeros in that number?
Facetious- fa·ce·tious
adjective: treating serious issues with deliberately inappropriate humor; flippant.

synonyms: flippant, flip, glib, frivolous, tongue-in-cheek, ironic, sardonic, joking, jokey, jocular, playful, sportive, teasing, mischievous; witty, amusing, funny, droll, comic, comical, lighthearted, jocose.

"Unfortunately, they took my facetious remarks seriously"

Old 07-19-2015, 09:18 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,816,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherwoody View Post
Facetious- fa·ce·tious
adjective: treating serious issues with deliberately inappropriate humor; flippant.

synonyms: flippant, flip, glib, frivolous, tongue-in-cheek, ironic, sardonic, joking, jokey, jocular, playful, sportive, teasing, mischievous; witty, amusing, funny, droll, comic, comical, lighthearted, jocose.

"Unfortunately, they took my facetious remarks seriously"
So MMorse38 created and account back in May and held back all this time for that hilarious joke?
Hmmmmmm..... Maybe they should have waited a few more months before making their first post.

Old 07-19-2015, 09:24 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,574,655 times
Quote:
As long as you have a pre-paid Costco account you should be OK. However, your only possibilities for buying a home would be out in Ewa, so be prepared for some long hours on the road.

And, FYF'NI, unlike Rhode, Oahu actually IS an Island, so you won't be able to drive to San Francisco or L.A.

Hope this,,, uuurrrrpppp, scuze me, helps

Old 07-19-2015, 11:47 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,255,802 times
Quote:
When is your offer to transfer out here to Honolulu?
The prices to live out here is Comparable to San Francisco, if that gives you a idea.
If you do have time between now and your transfer date. I would take some Vacation
time to get some idea's on where to live.
The area to live should be close to where you work. Will help with not having to put up with
the traffic congestion from where you live to Honolulu everyday, from West Oahu, if you choose to
live there.
You will have to check out the Real estate to see what fits with your Budget! But you should be
able to find something you like. Hope this gives you some ideas

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...ch/Honolulu_HI

Aiea / Pearl City Real Estate - Aiea / Pearl City Homes for Sale

Hawaii Real Estate Sales and Property Management in Honolulu, Kapolei, Aiea, Pearl City, Mililani, Ewa Beach, Kaneohe, Kailua, Waipahu, Waikiki

Old 07-20-2015, 07:47 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,206,193 times
Probably a troll post.

Either that, or someone who is paying that 1%er, isn't getting their money's worth.

1) Everything is relevant. If you are struggling to survive as a high-income earner in New England, you'll struggle in Hawaii.

2) Ahh...why am I even responding to a troll post?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu