Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 07:32 PM

210 posts, read 251,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Your savings are woefully short to consider buying for quite awhile.

Unless you can save quite a bit more money, often a challenge on an expensive island, you'll probably afford at best a small condo someday in the future.

A $800,000 house with $160,000 down + closing costs will give you a mortgage payment of roughly $3,100/month to put things in perspective.
An $800k house is slightly above median.. Add $100k for repairs or to enlarge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 07:33 PM

210 posts, read 251,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Out of curiosity, how are you qualified to use the commissary? Retired military?

I do think a darker complexion will be an advantage for your son - he won't stick out so much.

The shipyard is a GREAT job!
Is op african? Hawaiian or Samoan not the same as what you are implying.....................lol. Following this line of thinking op should send son to Radford High School. Great athletes went there. Ashlie Lelie?

All these people comming here with high paying jobs with no money saved up------whats up with that. If they couldnt save money whence they came from what makes them think they gonna buy a house in Hawaii?

There s a big dis-connect going on here.

Old 07-28-2015, 07:46 PM

1,585 posts, read 2,114,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
For condos, you can find them at $500K - expect a monthly maintenance fee of at least $500/month
$500 is very low. A 1,000 SF condo (mid and high rise in town) averages $.80/SF for maintenance fee. So about $800/mo is a typical maintenance fee for a 1,000 SF space. If it's much lower than that you can expect to pay a hefty special assessment in the near future (i.e. reserves are woefully short). You might get lucky and find a 1,000 SF condo that is exceptionally well maintained, efficient with ZERO amenities for about $500. But nowadays that's pretty much nonexistent.

Old 07-29-2015, 03:56 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,351,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkieMcCain View Post
Is op african? Hawaiian or Samoan not the same as what you are implying.....................lol.
Not sure, Stinkie. She doesn't say. Just that she and her son are darker complected and her hubby is glow-in-the-dark.

Speaking of savings, ALWAYS keep enough aside for emergency trips back to the mainland.

Old 07-29-2015, 09:08 AM

18 posts, read 28,260 times
Appearance: Lol, no we are not of African, Hawaiian or Samoan heritage. I am 1/2 Hispanic and my son is 1/4 resulting in very dark features. I have no expectations of being welcomed into Hawaii by the locals.

Commissary: My husband is Army Reserve (going on 26 years) thinking about retiring after 30 years have been served. As a retired member, he would be allowed full access to all military facilitates.

Money down: We can liquidate our rental house, that would give us about 120-130k but was trying to hold onto that for tax purposes. Might have to do that though.

Renting: Thank you for reinforcing about renting for a few years first. I would feel more comfortable getting to know the areas before we just jump right into buying a place. Thank you for the suggestion of using Navy Federal Credit Union.

Summary: As I was saying, I'm more of the realist and while we are not looking for the status lifestyle (for lack of better wording) that we have now, I really do not want to be house poor. Hopefully today or tomorrow we will find out if he gets his promotion here or if we will be moving. I truly appreciate everyone's input and respect all answers. Thank you so much!!!

Old 07-30-2015, 01:12 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,259,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Out of curiosity, how are you qualified to use the commissary? Retired military?

I do think a darker complexion will be an advantage for your son - he won't stick out so much.

The shipyard is a GREAT job!
As a federal Employee you can use MWR for camping, the pool, flights and Vacations, car rentals, and more. You can stay at the Navy Lodge on Ford Island, and Your Federal ID Can get you Discount prices at some of the Pearl Harbor Historic attractions (IE; Arizone Memorial, the Flight museum, and more) Unless you are retired military you cannot use the commissary or the Exchange, when you work at the Ship yard.

Old 07-30-2015, 08:28 AM

18 posts, read 28,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottStielow View Post
Unless you are retired military you cannot use the commissary or the Exchange, when you work at the Ship yard.
Even as active military?

Old 07-30-2015, 12:33 PM

430 posts, read 640,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Yup, rent for at least a year or two. It's almost impossible to find the proper spot until you've lived on the island for awhile.

Try to keep the daily commute as absolutely short as possible. In a perfect world, walking or biking to work would be lovely, but doubtful that it could happen. A lot of Oahu's woes is that it wasn't designed with walking neighborhoods.
With the skyrocketing real estate values, renting for a 6 months makes sense but renting for 2 years is just flushing money down the toilet. The only reason to rent is if you can't afford to buy.

Old 07-30-2015, 02:01 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,945,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejackalope View Post
With the skyrocketing real estate values, renting for a 6 months makes sense but renting for 2 years is just flushing money down the toilet. The only reason to rent is if you can't afford to buy.
That is quite shortsighted.

Renting for 6 months generally isn't feasible - landlords don't typically offer 6 month rentals.

First, most people can't handle Hawaii for more than 2 years as living the dream isn't quite what they thought it was. And unless you are part of the skyrocketing real estate windfall, you'd more than likely lose money buying real estate as a short term transaction. Real estate fees, closing costs, etc will be 7-8% of the sales transaction - so your real estate would need to noticeably appreciate to recover that.

People who bought in 2007 on Oahu only really recovered in 2012 or maybe even 2013 depending on the area. A person who bought in 2007 and had to sell in 2011 likely lost a lot of money.

Real estate is best for a long term investment.

Old 07-30-2015, 02:34 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,875,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejackalope View Post
I second this advice. Properties can DOUBLE in two years. Your jobs and the commute will limit your choice so it's not like to have the whole island to choose from. Now if you think your staying here is iffy AND you would not hold your property and rent if the market is down then you probably shouldn't buy ever but then you are at the mercy of ever increasing rents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu