Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 11:29 AM

430 posts, read 640,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeardropTir View Post
You’re correct @thejackalope, and by distraction, I mean “distraction” leading to various impairments. I certainly empathize with the parents and for the youth. If there was anything I could do to help advocate from 4,000 miles away, right now, I’ be open to listening to your ideas. At this time, I greatly appreciate the input, as mainlanders, such as myself, we do not realize that HVAC systems weren’t a priority in the schools, and 90%+ of schools do not have AC. I can understand that some may feel not all of the buildings need it. And because a relocation is still in my families best interest, I want to thank you for the opportunity to allow me to use this forum as a resource to help us transition. Whether good or bad, the only options I can think of, where the HVAC issue is a concern, are: 1) go to public schools with no a/c and hope for the best, 2) go to a private school, where tuitions support the electricity and/or HVAC systems, 3) homeschool our kids, 4) or NOT go to Hawai’i. Am I missing any alternative?
Are you coming here for work?

The other islands have more schools that are in cooler areas. Oahu is a concrete jungle as far as populated areas go so the heat is worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2015, 12:55 PM

1,585 posts, read 2,111,764 times
Quote:
Hello !
Which elementary and middle schools have A/C?
We anticipate moving from TX to Oahu in mid October, and because of Houston weather we rely on A/C.
I have a kindergartener, a 3rd grader, and 8th grader, who will be transitioning to the island lifestyle.
I want to alleviate as much transitioning as possible, without having record heat and school hot days irritating my 5 yr old's terrible eczema (from allergens).
I am not too proud to call around but I was hoping someone might know these types of details ... Thx!!
Mililani is my preferred area, for various reasons, and possibly Ewa Beach.

I appreciate any advice you can give me!
Mahalo !!
T
If you want AC in every enclosed room you should send your children to private school, or at least your 5 year old where heat exacerbates his/her health issues.

I was surprised myself that only 10% of schools here have air conditioning. I think many buildings (more than 10%) do have ac (admin, libraries, etc) but just not the classrooms. Apparently the cost of construction, equipment, long-term maintenance and electricity are much too high in Hawaii to air condition every single classroom. That and the cost to weatherize rooms which are built with jalousie windows (i.e. world's most inefficient/poor insulation window) is very, very costly.

I've never been to Texas, but my understanding is it gets MUCH hotter there than it does here. I could only imagine peak heat in summers in Texas being significantly more brutal than they are here. So maybe it won't even be an issue?

Old 08-14-2015, 01:14 PM

8 posts, read 6,834 times
No, I'm not going for work, but believe me when I say that HI is a major life improvement, I'm speaking on behalf of my 5 yr old.

His environmental allergies along side his food allergies create a miserable life.

We had no idea that HI would have such a positive affect on him. He's been to Kansas, Florida, Nevada, a has lived in TX all his 5 years, but HAWAII is the only destination where he is free from all ailments. Maybe it's the moist SALTY air, and different plant species, and water...I believe he may be allergic to water (sarcasm but that's how frustrating it is)... It would take several more (medical) tests to find out what ELSE he's allergic to.

So....this is why we are relocating. He's been living in misery for 5 years, and has finally had relief, in HI, without constant meds, steroids (oral and ointment), and antibiotics...

Texas is hot. It's 96 degrees and we have 6mph winds, where I'm at.

Old 08-14-2015, 02:18 PM

Quote:
No, I'm not going for work, but believe me when I say that HI is a major life improvement, I'm speaking on behalf of my 5 yr old.

His environmental allergies along side his food allergies create a miserable life.

We had no idea that HI would have such a positive affect on him. He's been to Kansas, Florida, Nevada, a has lived in TX all his 5 years, but HAWAII is the only destination where he is free from all ailments. Maybe it's the moist SALTY air, and different plant species, and water...I believe he may be allergic to water (sarcasm but that's how frustrating it is)... It would take several more (medical) tests to find out what ELSE he's allergic to.

So....this is why we are relocating. He's been living in misery for 5 years, and has finally had relief, in HI, without constant meds, steroids (oral and ointment), and antibiotics...

Texas is hot. It's 96 degrees and we have 6mph winds, where I'm at.
You're a good parent. I have very bad allergies as well. When I travel pretty much anywhere (out of state) I need to take allergy meds just to make the trip tolerable. For whatever reason Oahu is the only place I can live with my allergies and not have to be medicated. Vog can be problematic for some asthmatics that like to be active outdoors. But I seem to tolerate it just fine. Everyone is different.

Old 08-14-2015, 02:22 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,928,674 times
Quote:

We had no idea that HI would have such a positive affect on him.
Environmental Health: Allergy Seasons in Hawaii

That really surprises me - Hawaii is not known for being good for people with allergies. Have you been here when there is Vog? Vog doesn't impact myself, but I always have people calling in sick during Vog days.

2nd highest Asthma in the nation

Pollen all year around

Cockroaches

Dust mites

Outdoor mold

High pesticide use

etc

Old 08-14-2015, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post

Vog doesn't impact myself, but I always have people calling in sick during Vog days.
That doesn't necessarily mean vog is the real problem, it's just an easy way to get out of work and take advantage of those "sick" days.

Old 08-14-2015, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post

That really surprises me - Hawaii is not known for being good for people with allergies. Have you been here when there is Vog? Vog doesn't impact myself, but I always have people calling in sick during Vog days.

2nd highest Asthma in the nation

Pollen all year around

Cockroaches

Dust mites

Outdoor mold

High pesticide use

etc
My unscientific guess why we have such a high rate of asthma is because people are constantly outdoors in uncontrolled environments (even inside most homes you're breathing outside air all the time).

That has to throw the numbers off just a wee bit, no?

Old 08-14-2015, 02:34 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,928,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
That doesn't necessarily mean vog is the real problem, it's just an easy way to get out of work and take advantage of those "sick" days.
I don't disagree with that all - I do have one woman who looks like a train wreck when the Vog comes in, so I'm fairly sure she isn't faking - some of the others, I'm not so sure - but when you work at place with 10 sick days, people are going to game the system every now and then.

Old 08-14-2015, 03:05 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,577,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejackalope View Post
You need way more than 300W to cool a classroom
IF, an average classroom is 1000sf, AND, it has 3/12 roof pitch, AND it has a 3 foot overhang on two sides, THEN the roof SF is closer to 1200sf plus. An average solar panel, say rated 250 watts, is 12sf, say a little less, THEN, 100 panels will fit on that roof, THEORETICALLY, and under ideal circumstances, that roof could produce 25kw per hour. A 4 ton split system AC will easily keep that classroom at 75 degrees, while consuming, AT MOST, 5kw per hour. EVEN if the solar is only producing 1/3 of what it could produce in theory, in reality the roof would produce more than enough wattage to cool the classroom, with power left over. DOE has already been through this, and, guess what, it's in court. WHY, a little hanky panky going on.

Disappeared News: Hawaii whistleblower Sarah McCann reveals potential $284 million loss to state in mishandled bidding process

Lucky you live Hawaii

Old 08-14-2015, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
IF, an average classroom is 1000sf, AND, it has 3/12 roof pitch, AND it has a 3 foot overhang on two sides, THEN the roof SF is closer to 1200sf plus. An average solar panel, say rated 250 watts, is 12sf, say a little less, THEN, 100 panels will fit on that roof, THEORETICALLY, and under ideal circumstances, that roof could produce 25kw per hour. A 4 ton split system AC will easily keep that classroom at 75 degrees, while consuming, AT MOST, 5kw per hour. EVEN if the solar is only producing 1/3 of what it could produce in theory, in reality the roof would produce more than enough wattage to cool the classroom, with power left over. DOE has already been through this, and, guess what, it's in court. WHY, a little hanky panky going on.

Disappeared News: Hawaii whistleblower Sarah McCann reveals potential $284 million loss to state in mishandled bidding process

Lucky you live Hawaii
The state is working on putting PV on some schools (there is a bid out currently). Eventually every single government building will be completely covered in PV panels. It's just a matter of time. It's a shame HECO is ruining what could have been a prime sustainability model for the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu