Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2015, 06:07 PM

1 posts, read 926 times

Advertisements

I am currently a senior in High School Philadelphia. While searching for colleges that would be good for photography and film I stumbled upon Hawaii Pacific University. I always wanted to move to Hawaii but knew it would cost too much and I was also afraid of being alone out there. I've been trying to think of any possible way to attend and even permanently live there. I've read a few articles that talk about the expensive cost, though it has low unemployment. The bugs and what not, which is not a big deal for me since my family comes from the island of Haiti which also has problems with bugs. I figured moving there without going to college would cost less since HPU's tuition is somewhere near 19k - 22k. I'm not sure if the room and board is included with that tuition. Anyway, I was wondering if you guys would consider it smart for me to move out and attend HPU and later on settle into Hawaii.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2015, 06:34 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,914,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basedjoshwa View Post
Anyway, I was wondering if you guys would consider it smart for me to move out and attend HPU and later on settle into Hawaii.
No.

Old 08-16-2015, 01:06 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,255,112 times
I would not just move out here. The only jobs available is low wage jobs. Working for minimum wages. Last year
Hawaii raises minimum wage to $10.10 per hour. Which is not a lot because of the high cost of living here.

Hawaii raises minimum wage to $10.10 per hour

Old 08-16-2015, 02:40 AM

430 posts, read 639,893 times
The bugs are the least of your worries. Oahu's quality of life is horrible. It's not a paradise that is simply expensive-- It's not a paradise at all. Most of the inhabited area of the island is either concrete jungle, strip mall sprawl, or suburban sprawl. The traffic is insane. Amenities you expect from a city just don't exist. From downtown to good beaches is at least a 30 minute drive.

Would you all Haiti a paradise because it's a tropical island? Nope. Yet for some reason people assume Oahu is paradise.

Old 08-16-2015, 01:16 PM

1,585 posts, read 2,109,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejackalope View Post
The bugs are the least of your worries. Oahu's quality of life is horrible. It's not a paradise that is simply expensive-- It's not a paradise at all. Most of the inhabited area of the island is either concrete jungle, strip mall sprawl, or suburban sprawl. The traffic is insane. Amenities you expect from a city just don't exist. From downtown to good beaches is at least a 30 minute drive.

Would you all Haiti a paradise because it's a tropical island? Nope. Yet for some reason people assume Oahu is paradise.
Sounds like you had a very sad/rough, depressing time on Oahu; most of what you say is entirely untrue.

OP, the tuition cost does not include housing. You'll be looking at $35K including housing and books. And you'll be packed into the rooms with 2 other students.

Old 08-17-2015, 03:07 AM

430 posts, read 639,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
Sounds like you had a very sad/rough, depressing time on Oahu; most of what you say is entirely untrue.

OP, the tuition cost does not include housing. You'll be looking at $35K including housing and books. And you'll be packed into the rooms with 2 other students.
Really? Aren't you he guy who commutes 1.5 hours each way? I have a friend who says "lucky we live Hawaii" is psi ops and I think he is right. Unless you are independently wealthy and can just stay in the country, your quality of life here sucks.

Or maybe if you really like going to malls, Oahu is a nice place for you.

Old 08-17-2015, 06:31 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejackalope View Post
Really? Aren't you he guy who commutes 1.5 hours each way? I have a friend who says "lucky we live Hawaii" is psi ops and I think he is right. Unless you are independently wealthy and can just stay in the country, your quality of life here sucks.

Or maybe if you really like going to malls, Oahu is a nice place for you.

If I were that unhappy I would move. I don't think Hawaii is "all that", I'm pretty much over it.

Make the most of what you have, when you have it.

Don't complain, take action to fix what you are unhappy with.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-17-2015, 07:30 PM

8,489 posts, read 6,894,642 times
My daughter went there a few years back and was one of several people who were given dance scholarships from the mainland. It's very expensive to live there. Obviously the beaches and the scenery are outstanding.

Honolulu is also crazy crowded with the kind of traffic jams you see in major US cities. My impression of HPU was that it was somewhat sketchy academically. Something like a junior college on the mainland but with the Hawaii vibe.

It attracts a lot of students from around the world some of whom seemed barely able to speak English making me wonder how high the standards are to get in. Owning and operating a car is also expensive and most of the non local students wound up taking the bus which is relatively cheap but can take hours to go some places out of Honolulu.

At the time we lived in the Midwest so coming home during school breaks or for some emergency can be time consuming. Airline tickets aren't cheap. It's also no secret that if you fall into the category of a typical white, blonde, blue eyed mainlander some locals can be very hostile. My daughter is hapa so she didn't experience this problem.

I recall that she decided to live in one of the approved student dorms. In her case it was an older high rise downtown. It wasn't in a good area. You took an elevator up from the lobby to the student housing section. Just off the lobby there was a drinking establishment complete with Korean bar girls. She later moved.

Anyway good luck to you. Do your homework on HPU before you make a final decision. My daughter and most of the other folks who came from the mainland went back home to find jobs.

Last edited by msgsing; 08-17-2015 at 08:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: