Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 02:06 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,267,629 times

Advertisements

Here are the numbers for 2017 (with the public schools in bold):

Hilo - 1
Waiakea - 2
Hawaiʻi Baptist Academy - 3
ʻIolani - 13
Kaiser - 4
Kalani - 2
McKinley - 1
Mid-Pac - 1
Punahou - 28
Roosevelt - 1
Sacred Hearts - 1
"Home-schooled" - 1
Trinity Christian School - 1
Hawaiʻi Preparatory Academy - 3
Kauaʻi - 1
Seabury Hall - 1
Mililani - 1
Baldwin - 1

Of the 66, 14 come from Hawaiʻi public schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2016, 04:16 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,945,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
Here are the numbers for 2017 (with the public schools in bold):

Of the 66, 14 come from Hawaiʻi public schools.
A nearly 17% improvement!!

Your numbers don't sync up right though. The Iolani website says 12. The Punahoe website lists 27 names.

Old 10-12-2016, 04:40 PM

10,582 posts, read 7,804,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
. The Punahoe website lists 27 names.
That's an incredible accomplishment from one school.

I know one of last year's graduates, now enrolled at Harvey Mudd in California.

From one extremely demanding school to another...

Old 10-12-2016, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Your numbers don't sync up right though. The Iolani website says 12. The Punahoe website lists 27 names.
Good catch. The "extra" students at ʻIolani and Punahou graduated early. The one from ʻIolani was profiled a couple of years ago in Midweek after helping to discover a planet and winning a science and engineering fair, while the one from Punahou performed at Carnegie Hall and is currently studying accounting at National University.

Old 10-12-2016, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
That's an incredible accomplishment from one school.
Sadly, compared to some of the public schools in California and elsewhere, that's nothing. For instance, Mission San Jose High School in the Fremont Unified School District has 84 National Merit Semifinalists for 2017, which is 18 more than all of the schools in Hawaiʻi combined.
FUSD Students Named 2017 National Merit Scholarship Semifinalists

Old 10-12-2016, 06:16 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,148,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
Sadly, compared to some of the public schools in California and elsewhere, that's nothing. For instance, Mission San Jose High School in the Fremont Unified School District has 84 National Merit Semifinalists for 2017, which is 18 more than all of the schools in Hawaiʻi combined.
FUSD Students Named 2017 National Merit Scholarship Semifinalists
But that does not help those top students from California get into top schools which I have previously elaborated in another post.

All those top universities in Mainland admit students on several criteria, i.e. one of them is geographical distribution. That means they take top students from each state proportionally. So even if the student from California is smarter than the one in Hawaii, the one in Hawaii receives higher priority.

Students from Kamehameha even receive higher priority than his/her peers from other students in Hawaii, private or public, for known reasons.

And by the way, most ethnic Asian students in California study the way students in Asia do, i.e. attend cram school after formal school everyday. So their daily study hours are about 3-4 hours longer than students in Hawaii do.

Old 10-12-2016, 08:41 PM

10,582 posts, read 7,804,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
But that does not help those top students from California get into top schools which I have previously elaborated in another post.

All those top universities in Mainland admit students on several criteria, i.e. one of them is geographical distribution. That means they take top students from each state proportionally. So even if the student from California is smarter than the one in Hawaii, the one in Hawaii receives higher priority...
Link to other post, please?

Our little HS in Alaska usually produces one or two Merit semifinalists, and maybe a handful of Ivy league acceptances. Geography helps, no doubt. Another consideration is that our kids are not attending study sessions after school, or getting tutored for the ACT and SAT, or practicing them, or competing against many other driven students. They're just smart!
Being enrolled in a high pressure, high achieving environment will naturally give students an advantage on these tests, hence their handicap when considered against others with worse numbers in the annual top school lottery.

I think that native Hawaiians would qualify as "under represented minorities", so they should have another advantage when applying to colleges. Any Hawaiian kid who's a good student should be encouraged to apply to any school they desire, including the Ivies

Especially Dartmouth, as they were originally founded to teach native Americans, so they make an extra effort to enroll them.

Old 10-13-2016, 09:22 AM

7 posts, read 12,311 times
Thanks. My local (mainland) public high school generated 27 NMSFs for 2017. There are all kinds of disclaimers about not using NMSFs to compare schools, districts, cities, and states. Yet, I think it is an interesting factoid. Private school in Hawaii costs minimum $24k/yr. I pay about $7k/yr in property tax for police, fire, public works, and schools. I could scrape by and afford the $17k difference, but that is less money for my retirement and college funds for 2 kids.

From the outside looking in, it appears the gap between the haves and have nots is continuing to grow wider and at a faster pace compared to other parts of the country. Of course, not a new situation, but I think TV and Internet access compound the problem. Before we could only compare to what we saw on the island, so we were happier with what we had.

Lady next to me on the plane was first time visitor. Two things she asked me about: cost of living and homeless population. Her friend, another first time visitor, had mentioned both to her. Did not ask about restaurants or shopping, so that made me really sad.

Old 10-13-2016, 09:42 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,945,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan F View Post
From the outside looking in, it appears the gap between the haves and have nots is continuing to grow wider and at a faster pace compared to other parts of the country.
The wealth gap in Hawaii between wealthy and poor is among the lowest in the United States. Some rank it the lowest but no studies I've seen rank it outside the top 10.

Old 10-13-2016, 10:53 AM

78,567 posts, read 60,772,556 times
What's interesting is if you see how wildly the pass mark varies by state each year.

Some of that is due to some parts of the country prepping more for the exam but is also rooted in the general educational level of the area.

I think in 2014 the last time I checked it ranged from around 205 for Arkansas up to 223 for MA with an average around 212 needed.

223 score out of 240 would have to be maybe 4 wrong? 206 would be maybe 10 wrong?

The schools where I live KS (KC burbs) all announce this but the public schools are really good. My kids school had 6 last year out of around 450 in the class but normally it's around 3.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu