Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 05:45 PM

19 posts, read 21,811 times

Advertisements

Aloha everyone
The neighborhood that we live in is at the end of the Farrington Hwy, and the buses are routed from the highway into our neighborhood streets to turn around. There is very little riders in the neighborhood, and most of the time buses are empty.
The buses are loud, operating from 4:30AM until 12:00AM; they are too large for the narrow residential streets, endanger children playing in the neighborhood, and too heavy for the streets (they have to keep on fixing the streets).
There must be a law against commercial vehicles operating in residential streets!
I tried to google it but couldn't find anything.
Any info or idea is greatly appreciated.

DV
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2016, 10:24 AM

48,630 posts, read 35,099,152 times
I know nothing on the subject BUT common sense would dictate that buses can go on residential streets....... otherwise, what would be the point to them?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-14-2016, 10:43 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,122,809 times
As far as I know (but I've not looked) there's no restrictions on commercial traffic on residential streets other than the amount of weight the street itself can support. The literal size of the street also makes a restriction on what can drive on it. Between both of these physical limitations there usually isn't a lot of commercial traffic on residential streets so there's been no legal reason to make any laws about it would be my guess. If there was no commercial traffic allowed, then UPS, FedEx, taxis, delivery trucks, and yes - buses, wouldn't be allowed in neighborhoods.

Probably the only laws that may be of any relevance would be the ones about sound levels, although there is something about an intermittent something or other that allows for noises above a certain level, I forget the details but the sound laws are probably the only ones that might address the matter.

Have you mentioned it to the bus company? Sometimes if there is a complaint, then they may be able to fix it. Popping up and citing laws isn't always very well received, so for most folks that's the very last resort.

Have you tried insulating your bedroom? That can abate night time sound levels by rather a lot and may be an easier answer than trying to get the buses to go away.

Old 01-14-2016, 01:16 PM

1,586 posts, read 2,123,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCtoHI View Post
Aloha everyone
The neighborhood that we live in is at the end of the Farrington Hwy, and the buses are routed from the highway into our neighborhood streets to turn around. There is very little riders in the neighborhood, and most of the time buses are empty.
The buses are loud, operating from 4:30AM until 12:00AM; they are too large for the narrow residential streets, endanger children playing in the neighborhood, and too heavy for the streets (they have to keep on fixing the streets).
There must be a law against commercial vehicles operating in residential streets!
I tried to google it but couldn't find anything.
Any info or idea is greatly appreciated.

DV
Three options in order from least effective to most effective -

1) Call/write your city councilman, attend neighborhood board meetings and make your concern known
2) Soundproof your home
3) Move

Old 01-14-2016, 09:49 PM

19 posts, read 21,811 times
Mahalo you all for the input and recommendations.
Sound proof my house is not an option because the windows are open for air anyway.
Moving is an absolute no!
So I also thought about the City Council person. After all, what we voted this person for?
DV

Old 01-14-2016, 11:57 PM

12,120 posts, read 18,007,336 times
There are areas commercial busses are prohibited - for instance, Lanikai

Old 01-15-2016, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
There are areas commercial busses are prohibited - for instance, Lanikai
The City Bus sight shows route 70 on the loop at Lanikai.

Old 01-15-2016, 12:57 PM

234 posts, read 162,781 times
good luck getting the city or state to do anything about it. Do you know how long we had potholes on our road before they were (crappily) repaired? but lucky you live Hawaii!

Old 01-15-2016, 07:32 PM

12,120 posts, read 18,007,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
The City Bus sight shows route 70 on the loop at Lanikai.
I meant Tour busses are commercial vehicles and are banned from Lanikai. City busses can go anywhere.

Old 01-15-2016, 08:07 PM

Aren't city buses the topic the OP posted?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu