Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 10:43 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,258,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
If you run AC regularly in the summer I would budget roughly $500/month. Will depend on how often you run, number of rooms, and the energy efficiency of the AC unit(s)
Very true about the A/C's in summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 12:04 AM

48,563 posts, read 34,941,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
If you run AC regularly in the summer I would budget roughly $500/month. Will depend on how often you run, number of rooms, and the energy efficiency of the AC unit(s)
OMG. We have 2000 sq ft. and run a/c non stop. It ran (before solar) no more than $350.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-11-2016, 12:07 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,940,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
OMG. We have 2000 sq ft. and run a/c non stop. It ran (before solar) no more than $350.
OMG. I put out several qualifying statements in the classic style of your mileage may vary.

Old 04-13-2016, 10:54 PM

19 posts, read 19,021 times
Default Rent your house. Be Frugal. Prepare for a tough rental market.

I moved here just a month ago. I say, hold on to the house in Arizona. Just make sure the rental market is on the up and up where you are and you do diligence in finding good renters. I say that only because you mentioned it was your dream home.

We sold our home, but didn't have any real attachment to it, nor did we want to own another home since we are retiring in 10 years and have no idea where we will be.

I like it here, but it's because, all of my family moved here with me and my job is great! However, it's challenging finding a place - very different market here and the hoops I went through to find a place was daunting to me even moving from a city like DC. You can go to Sam's Club or Costco for good prices on food. The bus system is decent (not like it is in a city like DC or NY).

Just be realistic and don't expect to be on vacation or to have the 'Ohana' experience that you get when you are vacationing on an Island and staying at a resort. Just like anywhere else, people go to work, are tired, can be cranky. No different than any other city. Only the weather is great, and people in general say 'Hello' much more frequently than they do in DC. Homeless people here also beg with a sign here and there, but unlike in DC, they don't typically curse you out when you don't donate to their pockets.

Now, as for cost of living, compared to big cities like NY, DC, Chicago - the prices compare, but it's better looking here (in some places). But with you coming from Arizona, you will have sticker shock - so be prepared to live on a bit of a budget, find cheap ways to entertain yourself.

As for renting, have your paystubs, your credit report, your credit score and Hawaii contact handy for applications. Make sure the landlord is reputable, do your research on the place for crime and accessibility to public transportation.

Good luck and Aloha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: