Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 05:35 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,204,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunAndRain808 View Post
You're kidding me, right? The majority of the people here (one of the mainland cities you've cited above), MOVE OVER when they are driving slowly in the far left lane. They signal and pull over to the right lane when I am driving behind them. Some don't. But unlike in Hawaii where you have the "ainokea" mentality/attitude where they deliberately drive slowly, and when you are behind them, they don't change lanes, but drive more slow, sometimes pressing on their brakes deliberately. Hawaii is behind the curve compared to the mainland when driving.
No I'm not kidding you.

Have you driven in Seattle? It's somewhat unique compared to the rest of the mainland cities as its residents are seriously deficient in the driving ability department. The IIHS or some other organization does an annual study and Seattleites are always among the very worst in the country.

Seattlites VERY deliberately drive slow in the left lane to passive-aggressively "police" everyone else, merge with their brakes, rubberneck everything, go straight to the left lane and drive slow, never let you merge or change lanes as 90% as odd weasels, and seem to take it personally if someone wants to drive faster on the highway and make sure they block you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2016, 12:57 AM

361 posts, read 399,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I agree. I have a big problem with slow drivers, particularly those in the fast lane on the highways. Even those in the right lanes on the highways are sometimes driving 10 mph under the speed limit, which is just insane in my eyes, and is just asking for an accident. I see more accidents on the H1 (both on the highway and on the on-off ramps) that I'd see in a similar period driving on one of the many NYC highways.
See, exactly, right? These slowpoke drivers drive 10 mph under the speed limit or at the speed limit, while in the far left lane. A lot of these drivers are not tourist, as somebody here is pretending that it is the case with slow drivers. No. It's many locals with the "ainokea" attitude, some deliberately driving slower than the speed limit. Heck, I even have seen instances where "TheBus" drivers drive down the Pali Hwy, town-bound in the far left lane, holding up traffic. I know I'm straying away from the main topic of my thread. But that also shows the "ainokea" mentality that is programmed/installed into the many poho's (means head in Hawaiian) or heads of locals.

Old 06-19-2016, 01:04 AM

361 posts, read 399,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy950 View Post
No I'm not kidding you.

Have you driven in Seattle? It's somewhat unique compared to the rest of the mainland cities as its residents are seriously deficient in the driving ability department. .
Yes I have, and in fact, I did just tonight! LOL!

I don't know which part of Seattle you lived in, but I currently live in Lakewood near Tacoma in Pierce County. While I drive on the local highways, such as the 512 and the 167, north or south bound lanes (east/west for the 512), the majority of the slow-driving vehicles in the far left lane, usually turn on their blinkers and then merge into the right lane to let me pass by. When I say majority, i say around 90% of them do.

I am guessing you have lived near downtown Seattle and Bellevue (hell-view) area and drove in that area.

Because for the first time today, I had to meet up with some church buddies in Lynnwood, which is up north. I drove along the 405 that passes through Bellevue area, and man, drivers there are aggressive. Must be because a lot of Californian-transplants live in that neck of the wood.

I know I'm straying off the topic of my thread. But since you also live in L.A., I'm surprised you're not critical of their drivers. L.A. drivers are the WORST second to NYC drivers. Rude, middle finger "aloha sign" is rampant, when you turn on your signal, the other driver speeds up to not let you merge into his/her lane, horn honk horn honk.....etc.

Old 06-19-2016, 02:06 AM

1,585 posts, read 2,114,083 times
Quote:
These slowpoke drivers drive 10 mph under the speed limit or at the speed limit, while in the far left lane. A lot of these drivers are not tourist, as somebody here is pretending that it is the case with slow drivers. No. It's many locals with the "ainokea" attitude, some deliberately driving slower than the speed limit. Heck, I even have seen instances where "TheBus" drivers drive down the Pali Hwy, town-bound in the far left lane, holding up traffic. I know I'm straying away from the main topic of my thread. But that also shows the "ainokea" mentality that is programmed/installed into the many poho's (means head in Hawaiian) or heads of locals.
Absurd.

I rarely see anyone in the far left lane drive under the speed limit on the freeway. And if they are, they are almost always elderly.

As for the "far left" town-bound lanes of the Pali, only TWO lanes of town-bound traffic exist (so there is no "far" left lane) where the speed limit is over 35 MPH and where there are NO residential homes/driveways. If you actually think a "fast lane" even exists in a residential area (mind you one that has a very high concentration of senior citizens) please get off the rock, asap. There have been multiple pedestrian fatalities on the Pali over the years. SLOW DOWN.

I find it bizarre that there are so many complaints about slow drivers on this forum when there are MANY dangerous people that speed excessively on our roads, highways and freeways. Does anyone understand the concept of "speed kills"??

If anything, I wished the HPD would actually ticket speeders on H-1 in town. They should laser drivers all day long. With the ultra-narrow lanes post-"rehabilitation project", it makes for very dangerous driving when people pass you at 60+ mph, within 12" of hitting your rear view mirror. Nobody and I mean NOBODY adheres to the new 45 MPH speed limit from UH Manoa to the Airport/Middle St off ramp. Far left lane, right lane, any lane.

Old 06-19-2016, 11:03 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,204,400 times
Quote:
Yes I have, and in fact, I did just tonight! LOL!

I don't know which part of Seattle you lived in, but I currently live in Lakewood near Tacoma in Pierce County. While I drive on the local highways, such as the 512 and the 167, north or south bound lanes (east/west for the 512), the majority of the slow-driving vehicles in the far left lane, usually turn on their blinkers and then merge into the right lane to let me pass by. When I say majority, i say around 90% of them do.

I am guessing you have lived near downtown Seattle and Bellevue (hell-view) area and drove in that area.

Because for the first time today, I had to meet up with some church buddies in Lynnwood, which is up north. I drove along the 405 that passes through Bellevue area, and man, drivers there are aggressive. Must be because a lot of Californian-transplants live in that neck of the wood.

I know I'm straying off the topic of my thread. But since you also live in L.A., I'm surprised you're not critical of their drivers. L.A. drivers are the WORST second to NYC drivers. Rude, middle finger "aloha sign" is rampant, when you turn on your signal, the other driver speeds up to not let you merge into his/her lane, horn honk horn honk.....etc.
lol at calling Bellevue "hell-view," it's one of the only nice things about the Pacific Northworst and the Seattle areas only redeeming city. One downside I suppose is the cost, it makes Oahu look affordable, but the south end/Pierce Co. is everyone in that areas idea of "hell-view." Tacoma/south end reminds me of Waianae or East LA (when I'm back here) but with even more meth, property crime, and exponentially more violent crime.

When in Seattle I'm in the north end, Mill Creek, and rarely venture below Renton as things go from bad to worse very rapidly. Up in Seattle and "higher" they certainly make it a point to NOT move out of your way, I suspect in the south end near the military bases have more transplants who probably know how to drive to some degree.

Old 06-24-2016, 01:31 PM

788 posts, read 514,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipsidem View Post
This is true everywhere I have ever driven a motor vehicle. Anywhere from a freeway in Austin to a scenic byway in Oregon. The most reasonable and polite people sometimes turn into raging maniacs when they get behind the wheel of a motor vehicle. I realized this after I spent some time commuting to work by bicycle. That's how I realized that I was switching into a more aggressive perspective when I got behind the steering wheel. Now I just drive for efficiency and I laugh at the dummies who are so self absorbed that they don't even look up to realize that they are speeding past me to get to red traffic signal so they can sit there longer. It's actually pretty entertaining to watch.
Driving is a competitive sport for many people!

Old 06-24-2016, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
Snip

Nobody and I mean NOBODY adheres to the new 45 MPH speed limit from UH Manoa to the Airport/Middle St off ramp. Far left lane, right lane, any lane.
A pretty good sign the speed limit is set too low.

If you really want to decongest traffic, increase its speed - significantly. It is simple physics. The faster a flow of anything goes, the farther apart the elements are (cars in this case). That, and at faster speeds each car spends less time on the road, gets on later, gets off sooner or both. The less time a car is on the road, the lesser the overall congestion gets.

Drivers slowing down for no reason is one of the biggest causes of stop and go traffic on freeways. One guy slows down 5 mph, the guy behind him slows down 6 mph and so on and so forth. A mile back, and everyone comes to a stop - all because people don't keep their speed UP - especially the first guy to slow down. And NEVER, EVER, EVER brake with your left foot. Brake lights flashing for no good reason KILLS the flow of traffic, and many left foot brakers, leave their foot on the pedal for longer periods of time than necessary, and often inadvertently press the brake pedal enough to set off the brake light. You've seen them, maintaining a constant speed, and the brake lights constantly flashing.

Speed is what gets you there and decongests the routes, on land, and in the air. Its the slow-pokes that botch things UP - so at or below 10,000' keep it at 250 kts or as close to it as possible unless ATC tells you to slow down for spacing!!!

Last edited by Propulser; 06-24-2016 at 01:58 PM..

Old 06-24-2016, 02:21 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,945,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Propulser View Post
In that particular case - no.

While it is safe to go at least 55 from UH to Middle Street in the left lane - the horrific design of all the on/off ramps in the right lane make it the wild west when traversing H1 - whoever designed H1 in that area in the 60's clearly wasn't thinking straight - my best guess is before it was widened as a freeway no thought/money was put into the design of the on/off ramps. They should definitely be revisited.

Last edited by whtviper1; 06-24-2016 at 02:56 PM..

Old 06-24-2016, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
In that particular case - no.

While it is safe to go at least 55 from UH to Middle Street in the left lane - the horrific design of all the on/off ramps in the right lane make it the wild west when traversing H1 - whoever designed H1 in that area in the 60's clearly wasn't thinking straight - my best guess is before it was widened as a freeway no thought/money was put into the design of the on/off ramps. They should definitely be revistied.
Thanks for the clarification.

Old 06-24-2016, 03:18 PM

1,585 posts, read 2,114,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Propulser View Post

If you really want to decongest traffic, increase its speed - significantly. It is simple physics. The faster a flow of anything goes, the farther apart the elements are (cars in this case). That, and at faster speeds each car spends less time on the road, gets on later, gets off sooner or both. The less time a car is on the road, the lesser the overall congestion gets.

Drivers slowing down for no reason is one of the biggest causes of stop and go traffic on freeways. One guy slows down 5 mph, the guy behind him slows down 6 mph and so on and so forth. A mile back, and everyone comes to a stop - all because people don't keep their speed UP - especially the first guy to slow down. And NEVER, EVER, EVER brake with your left foot. Brake lights flashing for no good reason KILLS the flow of traffic, and many left foot brakers, leave their foot on the pedal for longer periods of time than necessary, and often inadvertently press the brake pedal enough to set off the brake light. You've seen them, maintaining a constant speed, and the brake lights constantly flashing.

Speed is what gets you there and decongests the routes, on land, and in the air. Its the slow-pokes that botch things UP - so at or below 10,000' keep it at 250 kts or as close to it as possible unless ATC tells you to slow down for spacing!!!

Increasing the speed limit does absolutely nothing to ease congestion. Anyone with a 3rd grade education knows that. Congestion is the result of too many cars on the road at the same time. I can't believe someone even has to explain that to you.

Since you have a beef with our supposedly "low" speed limits, you should take it up with the feds. The state has nothing to do with setting speed limits. The feds set the limit based on sight distance (driving over a hill or around a bend), availability of sufficient shoulders and medians, lane width and the design of on and off ramps. The stretch between Kapiolani Medical and the Middle St merge has very limited sight distance in several areas, very little to no shoulders or medians, very narrow lanes and very poorly designed on and off ramps.

Accidents happen all the time along that stretch - I can literally see them from my house. In fact, this just happened an hour ago

So many lollygaggers/slow poke drivers here in the island - see them on Pali Hwy/LikeLike/H-1-rsz_2016-06-24_101248.jpg

Increasing the speed limit in that area is dangerous and just plain dumb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu