Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2016, 03:52 PM

361 posts, read 398,251 times

Advertisements

No, I'm not a mainland transplant living in Hawaii complaining about slowpoke drivers who drive in the left lanes of the major highways on Oahu. I'm a kama'aina born and raised here (but lived on the mainland), and have been irked by the huge numbers of slow poke/lollygaggers who take up the left lanes while I'm driving on Pali Highway, either town bound or Kailua/Kaneohe-bound, Like Like Hwy, and even on the Freeways here on Oahu.

Like hello, left lane is the fast lane!

Heck, I even flicked my headlight for a slowpoke driver to move over to the right adjacent lane while I was driving on the H-3 freeway towards Kaneohe. But guess what?

That driver started to drive even more slow, being a jerk.

Another driver in another instance started to suddenly press on his/her brakes hoping that I would collide with his/her rear bumper. So stupid.

I swear, there are some really lolo clue-less drivers here in the islands.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2016, 04:38 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
There are absolutely some drivers in the left lane that drive deliberately slow in the left lane thinking they are doing us a service.

Instead they cause accidents as people try to maneuver around them like bumper cars. MOVE OVER!

Old 05-08-2016, 12:31 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,253,471 times
Yes i have to agree. More accidents are caused by the slow drivers in the left lane.

Old 05-08-2016, 05:23 AM

1,585 posts, read 2,108,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunAndRain808 View Post
No, I'm not a mainland transplant living in Hawaii complaining about slowpoke drivers who drive in the left lanes of the major highways on Oahu. I'm a kama'aina born and raised here (but lived on the mainland), and have been irked by the huge numbers of slow poke/lollygaggers who take up the left lanes while I'm driving on Pali Highway, either town bound or Kailua/Kaneohe-bound, Like Like Hwy, and even on the Freeways here on Oahu.

Heck, I even flicked my headlight for a slowpoke driver to move over to the right adjacent lane while I was driving on the H-3 freeway towards Kaneohe. But guess what?

Another driver in another instance started to suddenly press on his/her brakes hoping that I would collide with his/her rear bumper. So stupid.

Born and raised and it's "Like Like" Highway? Sorry, you failed the test.

Tourists drive on the Pali and Likelike all the time. They are too busy staring at the scenery and could care less about moving over for you.

You would do the same if you were a tourist, so relax.

Old 05-08-2016, 03:50 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,258,766 times
Quote:

The Hawaiʻi House of Representatives tried to pass legislation pertaining to "vehicular lollygagging"…
HB2746 -- Measure Status

Old 05-08-2016, 07:19 PM

102 posts, read 118,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
The Hawaiʻi House of Representatives tried to pass legislation pertaining to "vehicular lollygagging"…
HB2746 -- Measure Status
Or just follow existing laws like this one[§5-7.5]* "Aloha Spirit".* (a)* "Aloha Spirit" is the coordination of mind and heart within each person.* It brings each person to the self.* Each person must think and emote good feelings to others.* In the contemplation and presence of the life force, "Aloha", the following unuhi laula loa may be used:

**** "Akahai", meaning kindness to be expressed with tenderness; **** "Lokahi", meaning unity, to be expressed with harmony;

**** "Oluolu", meaning agreeable, to be expressed with pleasantness;

**** "Haahaa", meaning humility, to be expressed with modesty;

**** "Ahonui", meaning patience, to be expressed with perseverance.

**** These are traits of character that express the charm, warmth and sincerity of Hawaii's people.* It was the working philosophy of native Hawaiians and was presented as a gift to the people of Hawaii.* "Aloha" is more than a word of greeting or farewell or a salutation.* "Aloha" means mutual regard and affection and extends warmth in caring with no obligation in return.* "Aloha" is the essence of relationships in which each person is important to every other person for collective existence.* "Aloha" means to hear what is not said, to see what cannot be seen and to know the unknowable.

**** (b)* In exercising their power on behalf of the people and in fulfillment of their responsibilities, obligations and service to the people, the legislature, governor, lieutenant governor, executive officers of each department, the chief justice, associate justices, and judges of the appellate, circuit, and district courts may contemplate and reside with the life force and give consideration to the "Aloha Spirit". [L 1986, c 202, §

http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/hrscur...-0007_0005.htm

Old 05-08-2016, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
There are absolutely some drivers in the left lane that drive deliberately slow in the left lane thinking they are doing us a service.

Instead they cause accidents as people try to maneuver around them like bumper cars. MOVE OVER!
Thank you for your keen observation, whtviper. Very annoying how these lolo drivers think that they own the road, and deliberately try to drive the same speed as the vehicle in the right lane, and hold back traffic. I see this phenomenon mainly on the Pali Highway and the Like like hwy. Freeway, not too bad as there are four or five lanes on the freeways here.

Old 05-08-2016, 07:43 PM

Like like highway. so what's the big deal? I grew up here, and I don't care how to spell these Hawaiian words, okay? In fact, long ago in ancient Hawaii, they never had a written mode of communication. everything was done orally. Like like, Likelike, same thing.

And no, these slow poke drivers are NOT tourist. They are mainly locals, like Hawaiians with their big F350 trucks or jalopy Toyota Tercels driving up and down the Pali or Like like highway like turtles. When I flick my headlights to give them a hint to move over, they tend to be oversensitive/thin skinned, and start pressing their brake pedal or drive slower.

So open you eyes, okay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
Born and raised and it's "Like Like" Highway? Sorry, you failed the test.

Tourists drive on the Pali and Likelike all the time. They are too busy staring at the scenery and could care less about moving over for you.

You would do the same if you were a tourist, so relax.

Old 05-08-2016, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottStielow View Post
Yes i have to agree. More accidents are caused by the slow drivers in the left lane.
I don't know if slow drivers in the left lane are causing accidents. But they do hold up traffic. Especially on these two-laned highways, such as the Pali and Like like Hwy.

Old 05-09-2016, 03:29 PM

1,585 posts, read 2,108,343 times
Quote:
Like like highway. so what's the big deal? I grew up here, and I don't care how to spell these Hawaiian words, okay? In fact, long ago in ancient Hawaii, they never had a written mode of communication. everything was done orally. Like like, Likelike, same thing.

And no, these slow poke drivers are NOT tourist. They are mainly locals, like Hawaiians with their big F350 trucks or jalopy Toyota Tercels driving up and down the Pali or Like like highway like turtles. When I flick my headlights to give them a hint to move over, they tend to be oversensitive/thin skinned, and start pressing their brake pedal or drive slower.

So open you eyes, okay?
Slow drivers do not cause Oahu's traffic problem. Too many cars packing our roads at the same time causes Oahu's traffic problem. It's called traffic congestion and that is not the result of people actually following the speed limit in the left lane.

I don't have any issues with the slower drivers. We're on a tiny island. What's the rush? And as far as I'm concerned, as long as you're driving at least at the speed limit, you should be allowed to stay in the far left lane. Aren't speed limits there for a reason? People seem to think speed limits are meant to be broken by 10 mph or so... and if you're not breaking the speed limit by at least this speed you should be in the far right lane and you're driving waaay too slow in general. That's just plain dumb.

Society as a whole often does dumb things and breaking speed limits by a perceived "allowance" is an example of that. I was a HUGE fan of the van cams. They should have brought them back. But people here are just too selfish and ignorant to understand the safety benefits to everyone on the road by slowing cars down. Our roads are safest when ALL lanes of traffic move at a relative and consistent speed. It's just common sense.

I can't wait until driverless cars start hitting the road. They will only be allowed to drive up to the speed limit MAX under any circumstance - right, middle or LEFT lane. That should really tick off the whiners complaining about slow drivers.

If you're the type to get your panties all up in a bunch about slow drivers, try leaving a couple minutes earlier to wherever you're going. Or maybe move closer to work; we don't want agitated and annoyed drivers on our road. Best to keep off of them as much as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu