Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 02:49 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,945,761 times

Advertisements

Some light reading material - directly from the Federal Highway Administration on setting speed limits (hint: States have full jurisdiction)

Methods and Practices for Setting Speed Limits: An Informational Report - Safety | Federal Highway Administration
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2016, 03:01 PM

1,585 posts, read 2,114,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Some light reading material - directly from the Federal Highway Administration on setting speed limits (hint: States have full jurisdiction)

Methods and Practices for Setting Speed Limits: An Informational Report - Safety | Federal Highway Administration

Ugh. I can't believe you're still at this. The H-1 is a FEDERALLY funded interstate highway that must meet minimum FEDERAL design guidelines. If those guidelines are not met, speed limits can be reduced in lieu of meeting these requirements. The H-1 does not meet all the requirements for "MINIMUM DESIGN SPEED" and therefore is forced to reduce the speed limit to meet federal safety requirements and receive federal funding. Again, the 45 MPH speed limit is set by FEDERAL HIGHWAY DESIGN STANDARDS, not the state. The state would not have been able to add that 4th lane in both directions if they didn't reduce the speed limit. Reducing the speed limit is not a decision the state made - it was a federal requirement. Good grief.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inters...hway_standards

Old 06-25-2016, 03:11 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,945,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
Ugh. I can't believe you're still at this. The H-1 is a FEDERALLY funded interstate highway that must meet minimum FEDERAL design guidelines. If those guidelines are not met, speed limits can be reduced in lieu of meeting these requirements. The H-1 does not meet all the requirements for "MINIMUM DESIGN SPEED" and therefore is forced to reduce the speed limit to meet federal safety requirements and receive federal funding. Again, the 45 MPH speed limit is set by FEDERAL HIGHWAY DESIGN STANDARDS, not the state. The state would not have been able to add that 4th lane in both directions if they didn't reduce the speed limit. Reducing the speed limit is not a decision the state made - it was a federal requirement. Good grief.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inters...hway_standards
There isn't a single line in that article that says the Feds have the right to control the speed limit.

For those at home - it just says to be an interstate here are standards (and you can get waivers).

The State can do whatever it wants with H-1 in which case it's still meeting federal standards - or gets a waiver - or can call it a state highway like the Pali.

Regardless - there is nothing about speed limits other than the highway should be designed for 70mph.

Old 06-27-2016, 04:57 AM

30,678 posts, read 18,307,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunAndRain808 View Post
See, exactly, right? These slowpoke drivers drive 10 mph under the speed limit or at the speed limit, while in the far left lane. A lot of these drivers are not tourist, as somebody here is pretending that it is the case with slow drivers. No. It's many locals with the "ainokea" attitude, some deliberately driving slower than the speed limit. Heck, I even have seen instances where "TheBus" drivers drive down the Pali Hwy, town-bound in the far left lane, holding up traffic. I know I'm straying away from the main topic of my thread. But that also shows the "ainokea" mentality that is programmed/installed into the many poho's (means head in Hawaiian) or heads of locals.
I had a driver in the far left lane (driving under 60 mph on the H2 coming from Wahiawa) press the breaks on me today . . . so infuriating, especially as this guy knew what he was doing

Old 06-27-2016, 08:46 AM

788 posts, read 514,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I had a driver in the far left lane (driving under 60 mph on the H2 coming from Wahiawa) press the breaks on me today . . . so infuriating, especially as this guy knew what he was doing
They should be ticketed for lane violations. The contrarians everywhere. IF the law said that slower traffic goes to the left, he'd probably be on the right-hand lane!!!!

Old 06-30-2016, 09:54 PM

361 posts, read 399,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy950 View Post
lol at calling Bellevue "hell-view," it's one of the only nice things about the Pacific Northworst and the Seattle areas only redeeming city.
Eh, I disagree. Bellevue is not the only "gem" town in Puget Sound area. There are also great places to hang out such as Kirkland, the Olympic Peninsula, and other parts of outer Seattle where there are hiking trails and outdoor activities to do. I dislike Bellevue because of the HORRIFIC traffic along the 405 freeway. Everytime I have to drive up there (which is rarely), I cringe at sitting in that 405 parking lot.

I also dislike Bellevue because there are a lot of Cali transplants who drive recklessly, act arrogant (no wonder why there's such anti-Cali sentiment in the Pacific Northwest).

Quote:
One downside I suppose is the cost, it makes Oahu look affordable, but the south end/Pierce Co. is everyone in that areas idea of "hell-view."
Um, whatevers. It's cheaper living down here in Pierce County and less traffic than that ridiculous 405 freeway. There are also pockets of nice area next to Tacoma, such as University Place, Ruston coastline and Steilacoom where you have lake-side view.

I disagree with your claim that Bellevue is more expensive than Oahu. Hawaii Loa, Kahala and Port Lock houses are MORE expensive than the houses I have looked at in Bellevue and Medina.

Quote:
Tacoma/south end reminds me of Waianae or East LA (when I'm back here) but with even more meth, property crime, and exponentially more violent crime.
While Tacoma used to have a bad reputation for gang shootings between the crips and bloods, it has actually improved a lot according to my church colleagues who grew up in University Place.
I'd take Tacoma ghettos anyday over Inglewood, Compton or Bronx in NYC. But yeah, some areas are dingy looking with bunch of popolo's congregating outside their shacks on their porches.

Quote:
When in Seattle I'm in the north end, Mill Creek, and rarely venture below Renton as things go from bad to worse very rapidly. Up in Seattle and "higher" they certainly make it a point to NOT move out of your way, I suspect in the south end near the military bases have more transplants who probably know how to drive to some degree.
Wrong again. The majority of the people who drive on the 512 are locals, and I can tell because the military brats tend to speed, weave in and out of traffic. The locals here tend to move aside. Even when I'm driving down the left lane fast, they signal and move over to the right lane.

Too bad some Hawaii drivers have their head up their okole and can't comprehend that their slow driving style is holding up traffic.

Old 06-30-2016, 09:57 PM

361 posts, read 399,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
LMFAO!
Thank you for pointing out a good example of some of the okole headed drivers I've encountered while living on Oahu.
That's what these ding dong drivers do - drive slowly in the far left lane, press the brake (not "breaks") which may lead to an auto collision.

But who knows? Maybe that driver was pj737 trying to enforce the speed limit on the freeways! Bwahahahahah!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu