Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 03:42 PM

788 posts, read 512,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omg you serious View Post
@Propulser

Despite the fact that you don't know that crackseed isnt just dried plum with a seed in it but a ton of different things or that you believe the art of Lua ect is ancient history. I have to respect your mana to be kolohe and remind myself to get some of that back myself that i lost. I like denver and oakland. But im far more of a college football fan. Go Bows and Ducks!

You ok bruddah.
You draw conclusions not justified by the facts. The one I tried happened to be the plum, but there were others. But the bigger issue, who cares about crack seed as other than a curiosity - except possibley kids. I find knowing how to get your product into the Buy Box on Amazon a whole lot move valuable, or how to manage a Google ad campaign, or Bing etc., but compared to an intimate knowledge of Crack Seed, or pickled pigs feet, or chicken feet, or boiled peanuts...... You seem to put great import on things that are mere curiosities to most people.

However, I do know what a Luau is, and etc., etc., Call me a mainlander, if you wish. Denver rocks, Oakland, well the land of thugs and "rascals", aka kolohe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2016, 03:46 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,873,169 times
I get fried pigs ears at the local liquor store. Obnoxiously good.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-10-2016, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I get fried pigs ears at the local liquor store. Obnoxiously good.
They sell them in sacks at Costco for doggie chew toys, but they are just dried, not fried. I like boiled peanuts with crab spices in the boil.

Old 07-10-2016, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omg you serious View Post
@Mikala43

Despite what i said Mikala43, i still respect that your a volunteer and this isn't a easy job taking care of the lolo pupule ward here and i respect your accomplishments in life.

Further, i agree i talk to much sometimes. Really i wasn't like that living in Hawaii. When i moved here people always told me to speak up or talk more. Further arguing and debate wasn't important either. I guess different cultures can effect changes and bad habits.
Are you asserting that speaking up and debating are bad habits, or honking horn when required for safety?

Old 07-10-2016, 10:35 PM

Quote:
I've been here 30 years and while I consider my hapa, I have a huge Hawaiian family, who are all literally mixed Hawaiian and middle class, and I have a Hawaiian last name. I'm Mexican/Swedish which I share with anyone when they say I look local.

I'm not keen on going around including myself in other people's groups or cultures. I enjoy and partake in other customs. They give me scoldings and tell I AM local, or at the very least kamaaina. /lol I don't agree.

I've worked with minimum wage workers, and as they were "my crew" I got to know them and how they lived because I cared. They literally would go climb a coconut tree and break it open for lunch. I've mentored employees so they can get ahead. I'm at the cockfight (don't like), the party watching MMA, riding horses up in the Koolau's and paddle boarding up the river in Haleiwa. I worked at Long's Kaneohe for 2 years. Does that mean something? Yeah, if you lived here you would know it does. So I don't "know" what it's like to be local? You do what here? Anything? Even vacation? What locals do you TALK to? You know..... in real life?

I agree with Viper on some things, and not on a lot of others. But he is obviously intelligent.

Bottom line, you don't live here and have no idea what it's like or how people are. You are basically making stuff up in your head, though I can't figure out why. It's weird that you think reading newspapers and blogs means you know what a location is like.

It's odder still that someone is so obsessed with a location. Literally obsessed. Do you have nothing else to do? You want to hold your childhood memories in some kind of weird stasis. So you can come back?

Do you even own a home in YOUR state? You are so concerned with our market, how does your's affect you?

I'll leave your millionth account for another 24 hours and then you will be banned again.
I've been unable to fully and succinctly articulate my whole opinion on the Hawaii "culture" thing, but you have clued me in on a word that seems to fit when you said this. (assuming you meant to say my(self).

With all the emphasis on Haole, Hapa, Kama'aina, Malahini, etc., it all seems like a sort of a caste system, and I would be less than honest if I didn't say it is sick. A sort of racism, one step removed from race and focusing on place of origin, as if being born in Hawaii was a badge of merit and accomplishment. And what about us Air Force brats, many of whom were born at Hickam. Are we special for that, as well. I for one don't see myself as "special" because of where I was born.

Old 07-10-2016, 11:48 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808 kine View Post
I would 100% agree with you on everything you have said about me since you known me. HAD I NOT BEEN BASICLY BORN OR LIVED IN Hawaii for a decade or more!

The example of the list of business closings i postted is an example. Some of those were on Oahu for 100+ years.
Ah. Hawaii school system at its best. It is basically. Not BASICLY. Regardless, living here from 0-10 and not here in over 30 years hardly makes you the poster child for Hawaii idealism.

The list of businesses. Uh, tastes change as locals crave all things mainland and stayed away from those places and deemed them unworthy to let's say Five Guys in Mililani.

Old 07-11-2016, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808 kine View Post
I would 100% agree with you on everything you have said about me since you known me. HAD I NOT BEEN BASICLY BORN OR LIVED IN Hawaii for a decade or more! For that you can't take away, devalue it or steal it like other things. See this is my point you and your cronies are going around telling people they are not quilified to comment on CDF Hawaii because they don't live there, despite the fact that some have more years or experience then you guys. Just another haole twist of a local belief. I agree 100% percent HAD I NEVER SET FOOT on Hawaii land then yes i have no right saying anything.

Another issue i have is you try to fool everyone into believing that everyone wants change or your ideals of progress. Had you been a real local you would know that every issue related to your groups ideals of progress have been protested everytime, every community has fought against big box stores for example. The example of the list of business closings i postted is an example. Some of those were on Oahu for 100+ years. You
Your classism is disgusting. You should be ashamed, but, somehow, I think you still think you are correct, correct???

Old 07-11-2016, 02:10 PM

1,585 posts, read 2,110,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
So - if "outside money" was such an influential thing what if there was no "outside money".

What would the price be? Would the population double?
There you go again expecting people to answer your ridiculous questions based on absurd hypothetical situations.

I have no idea what the state of housing would be here if NO outside money EVER came here. How could one even guess?

To make it even more absurd, you asked me what the actual price would be in the absence of outside money. Seriously? What do you want me to do, give you a median value??

Bottom line is the high cost of housing here is 90% attributable to the fact that we are a desirable place to live and visit. The more people that want to MOVE here (i.e. OUTSIDE MONEY) and VISIT here (i.e. OUTSIDE MONEY), the higher the cost of housing across the board for all - including locals.

You believe outside money only has a small impact on our high cost of housing here... and someone considers you very intelligent?

Old 07-11-2016, 02:44 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,873,169 times
I didn't say always right, so no one's panties should get in a bunch.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-11-2016, 02:51 PM

1,585 posts, read 2,110,343 times
Quote:
I didn't say always right, so no one's panties should get in a bunch.
There are no panties in any bunches over here.

There is more to intelligence than just having good grammar. But that's just my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu