Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2016, 10:27 PM

23 posts, read 19,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
You continue to make no sense. If someone has been living here for six months and buys a place, that is a local resident
Thats the point! We don't know by the data provided how long the buyers have lived on Oahu or Hawaii that could mean anything right? Without more data one could really make an assumption that a good majority of residents buying could really be malahini mainland transplants or malahini international transplants who became residents with very little time in oahu ect? right? If so then wouldnt the sales be more of a benefit to people from the mainland or other countries then a local living on Oahu or Hawaii? Unless of course its a investment property of a locals? Further, your article talks about the betterment of the middle class on Oahu. My argument is without data the middle class on Oahu could very well be majority mainland transplants? Then how is that benefiting real hawaii locals? Today in Hawaii big money is international investors not local hawaii.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2016, 10:31 PM

I guess in a nutshell im asking this question. With hawaii being the way it is today. Is it truely benefitng local hawaii or outsiders?

Old 07-08-2016, 11:08 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
I hate to break it to you HBH - newcomers bring down the middle class percentage overall. Between poor immigrants, COFA immigrants, high school dropouts, college grads dreaming, dreamers in general, wannabe bartenders, waiters, waitresses there isn't a lot of wealth moving in.

Old 07-08-2016, 11:20 PM

788 posts, read 512,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha State View Post
I guess in a nutshell im asking this question. With hawaii being the way it is today. Is it truely benefitng local hawaii or outsiders?
Hawaii, inasmuch as it does, benefits those with an "interest" in it, absentee and local landowners/business owners, residents and others with skin in the game. All are legitimate, and equally so. That's America. There is no illegitimacy or shame in investing in other states. You seem to have some nearly-perverse idea about Hawaii, as if she needs you to protect her virginity from the boogey-man. Free commerce, investment and rewards-reaping is a large part of America. If the locals are too inept to take the opportunity by the horns, well, too bad. Nature abhors a vacumn.

Old 07-08-2016, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiBoy View Post
I don't believe that constant development and never ending expansion just for the purpose of profits is always "progress".

But my question is: If you were actually living today in the Ala Moana area, would you continue to go to the new Shirokiya ? Or would you boycott them now because they're clearly just thinking about profits and just want to get bigger and bigger and get more profit and more profit.

Personally, I liked the old Shirokiya, but I'll still stop in to the new location occasionally.
The point wasn't profits bad. It was profits without responsiblity is bad. Having rats in the area while people are serving or eating food is unhealthy,dangerous and irresponsible.

Profits, Progress or technology are not evil or bad. These things to extremes are.

As for your question WaikikiBoy. I don't know. I would not boycott them because they make profit. I would boycott them if they were not true to there brand or soldout. If that makes any sense?

Old 07-08-2016, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Propulser View Post
Hawaii, inasmuch as it does, benefits those with an "interest" in it, absentee and local landowners/business owners, residents and others with skin in the game. All are legitimate, and equally so. That's America. There is no illegitimacy or shame in investing in other states. You seem to have some nearly-perverse idea about Hawaii, as if she needs you to protect her virginity from the boogey-man. Free commerce, investment and rewards-reaping is a large part of America. If the locals are too inept to take the opportunity by the horns, well, too bad. Nature abhors a vacumn.
You seem to not understand that we are americans. For 56 years now Hawai'i has been a state. What does that mean? It means eating crackseed, watching sumo wrestling, eating at the locally owned drive inns and taking our time and supporting local or being local is bring American! For some reason those from outside think they need to bring America to Hawai'i.

Old 07-08-2016, 11:51 PM

959 posts, read 1,215,865 times
Quote:
As for your question WaikikiBoy. I don't know. I would not boycott them because they make profit. I would boycott them if they were not true to there brand or soldout. If that makes any sense?
Yes, makes sense.

Old 07-08-2016, 11:58 PM

Quote:
You seem to not understand that we are americans. For 56 years now Hawai'i has been a state. What does that mean? It means eating crackseed, watching sumo wrestling, eating at the locally owned drive inns and taking our time and supporting local or being local is bring American! For some reason those from outside think they need to bring America to Hawai'i.
Yep, that is what it is. If the people didn't want to do that, they should not have voted for statehood. Hawaii IS part of he U.S. and those of us with a desire and means WILL go there, and it will change as we bring our ways with us. You act as it is some sacred place too special to undergo the same sorts of changes that all other places have undergone as part of a melting pot-process. Get over it. She's isn't your "little girl" and you aren't her "daddy". BTW, nobody insists, that Hawaiians moving to the mainland, leave their ways behind when they come here.

Old 07-09-2016, 12:28 AM

959 posts, read 1,215,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Propulser View Post
Yep, that is what it is. If the people didn't want to do that, they should not have voted for statehood. Hawaii IS part of he U.S. and those of us with a desire and means WILL go there, and it will change as we bring our ways with us. You act as it is some sacred place too special to undergo the same sorts of changes that all other places have undergone as part of a melting pot-process. Get over it. She's isn't your "little girl" and you aren't her "daddy". BTW, nobody insists, that Hawaiians moving to the mainland, leave their ways behind when they come here.
You know, Hawaii really is a special place. And a big part of what makes it special and attracts people is the life perspective of the long-term residents combined with a strong appreciation for the island and its beauty. That appreciation is almost a religious type experience. You know, in Hawaii people see a place of great natural beauty and they want to visit it and "feel" it beauty through a connection with the land. The mainland perspective when they see something of great beauty is that they want to own it ... Or build on it. It really is a difference.

I don't know where I'm going with this, but bottom line is that Hawaii is a special place and I'd hate to see it ruined. Some of the perspective in your post just strikes me as the type of attitude that diminishes the uniqueness of Hawaii and what makes it a special place.

Old 07-09-2016, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiBoy View Post
You know, Hawaii really is a special place. And a big part of what makes it special and attracts people is the life perspective of the long-term residents combined with a strong appreciation for the island and its beauty. That appreciation is almost a religious type experience. You know, in Hawaii people see a place of great natural beauty and they want to visit it and "feel" it beauty through a connection with the land. The mainland perspective when they see something of great beauty is that they want to own it ... Or build on it. It really is a difference.

I don't know where I'm going with this, but bottom line is that Hawaii is a special place and I'd hate to see it ruined. Some of the perspective in your post just strikes me as the type of attitude that diminishes the uniqueness of Hawaii and what makes it a special place.
It might be special in your eyes, but other places are no less special. It is NOT immune from the commingling of culture with the rest of the States despite HbH's insistence that it must remain virginal, and that he is the guardian of the chastity belt.

It really isn't any more or less special than anyplace else, and all the silly little things like "crackseed" which HbH sees as nearly sacred, aren't anything special at all. No more special than boiled peanuts in the shell, mountain oysters, head cheese, pickled pigs feet or any of the other local food curiosities found across the planet.

Further, from my few years of exposure, the least-special thing about Hawaii is its culture (have to be honest). It is nothing to write home about, at all, any more than the culture of the hicks and hayseeds in the Ozarks or hills of West VA or Tennessee. It doesn't have enough umph to get out of its own way. Lackluster at the very best, and the most-expendable of all the various facets of the state. The sooner they dump it and move on (and up) the better off they will all be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu