Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 11:24 PM

23 posts, read 19,631 times

Advertisements

Hawai'i is ranked 4th in millionaire households per capita in the US. This is not because of the tourism trade which is mostly owned by japanese and international investors but by the housing and land markets lack of supply for the demand. 27% of homes bought in Hawaii recently are by mainland or foreign buyers. Heres the tell all, The average price for homes purchased by foreign residents was the highest at $785,604, followed by homes purchased by U.S. mainland buyers at $630,390, while homes purchased by Hawaii residents averaged at $478,189. I suspect the percentage of outside buyers is alot higher because the term "Hawaii resident". We all know its not to hard to become a resident of Hawaii. This my point outside money is raising the median average wealth on the islands. I think people should also talk to the 70% of the total native hawaiian population living now in other states in our country and ask them why they don't live on Hawaii anymore or the 90,000 Former Hawaii Residents in Navada alone.

Last edited by Aloha State; 07-07-2016 at 11:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2016, 10:13 AM

48,532 posts, read 34,851,331 times
References?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-08-2016, 12:50 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Unless the residents have money - you can't have record home prices. And I doubt a lot of investors are snapping up Ewa Beach properties. I had to drive to Ko Olina yesterday and I still can't believe people subject themselves to that traffic.

Median price of single-family home on Oahu hits record high - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

The analysis found that 1 in 5 Oahu home sales are in Ewa, while 20 percent of condo sales are in Waikiki.

Some 28 percent of homes sold in June on Oahu went for more than their initial asking price. And the median number of days single-family homes were on the market in June was just 15. That’s a record low.

Old 07-08-2016, 02:00 PM

64 posts, read 61,907 times
Hawaii's housing costs are not keeping up at the same pace of other west coast cities (San Diego to Seattle). If you want to include Vancouver BC there is no comparison. Vancouver alone had a 38% increase yoy for detached home sales (June 2016). The average price in Greater Vancouver for detached houses sold last month reached $1.77-million CD. Seattle, Portland and San Francisco are all up over 10% yoy. My understanding of the housing market in Hawaii is that it tends to lag behind West Coast cities but quickly catches up to trend. With interest rates at record lows the current market might be considered a bargain.

Old 07-08-2016, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside14 View Post
With interest rates at record lows the current market might be considered a bargain.

Well - I don't think to many people consider a $760,000 median a bargain.

Regardless - $760,000 isn't going to get you in a prime neighborhood for a single family home.

And comparing to the West Coast isn't a good comparison.

The distance from Hawaii to the West coast is roughly the same as the distance as the West coast to the East coast. Hawaii doesn't have a silicon valley, Disney, amazon, Microsoft, etc......

Old 07-08-2016, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
References?
Sure

The report’s data also shows 32,829 Hawaii households with $1 million or more in investable assets, for a ratio of 6.93 millionaires to the total household count.

Hawaii 4th in millionaire households per capita | Honolulu Star-Advertiser

https://www.city-data.com/forum/hawai...er-capita.html

Percentage of homebuyers in Hawai'i and the average sales amount of homes.

David Y. Ige | DCCA NEWS RELEASE: DBEDT releases analysis on Hawaii home buyers

Priced out of Paradise: Mainland, foreign buyers snapping up Haw - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

More then 70% of Native Hawaiians live in other states then Hawaii.

Take away the Hawaii state population and you have 70%

https://www.census.gov/newsroom/rele...n/cb12-83.html

Old 07-08-2016, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha State View Post

More then 70% of Native Hawaiians live in other states then Hawaii.

So what? What does that have to do with anything? How many weren't even born in Hawaii?

Breaking news - lots of people don't want to live in Hawaii. Only roughly 950,000 live on Oahu and unprecedented low population growth is ahead of Oahu.

Shall we see how many Irish don't live in Ireland? Or French live in France? How about Japanese - how many don't live in Japan?

Old 07-08-2016, 03:14 PM

Lets complete what i said ok? " I think people should also talk to the 70% of the total native hawaiian population living now in other states in our country and ask them why they don't live on Hawaii anymore or the 90,000 Former Hawaii Residents in Navada alone." Another words what you claim to be Oahu middle class bettering itself is really out of state movers who became hawaii residents and former rich oahu residents. Follow me here ok, if 27% of homes bought in Hawaii recently are by mainland or foriegn buyers in a few years imagine what that percentage is like for a few decades? Further if 73% currently are hawaii residents and the average sales is $478,189? Which neighborhoods have these price ranges or less? Since half of hawaii residents are buying for this amount or less? mostly leeward side not windward right? lower class to middle class neighborhoods right?

Old 07-08-2016, 04:08 PM

48,532 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Geez, if I was Hawaiian why would I move? Even if we made low middle class, you have DHHL which will sell you a home with the land for free. You can barely match that on the mainland. Or they will give you land to build on.

I'm think of the Hawaiian's I know who moved..... one was a doctor who found Hawaii to be burdensome to a small business, one is a kid who just wanted to experience new stuff.

Heck, people move for all kinds of reasons.

It's easy to misinterpret data.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-08-2016, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha State View Post
I think people should also talk to the 70% of the total native hawaiian population living now in other states in our country and ask them why they don't live on Hawaii anymore or the 90,000 Former Hawaii Residents in Navada alone

if 27% of homes bought in Hawaii recently are by mainland or foriegn buyers in a few years imagine what that percentage is like for a few decades?

You still can't spell HBH.

Regardless, I think many people would be surprised only 27% of the homes purchased are not people from Hawaii. That was probably a higher number in the 80's when you lived here. Breaking news: It is Hawaii - of course people out of state are going to buy - just like Florida, Arizona, California, Carolina's, etc....How many people out of state buy in South Florida - what is the point? I also doubt they are buying the types of homes "locals" would buy - they buy oceanfront - Waikiki.

But the funniest comment is - talk to the 70% of Native Hawaiians living in other states. First, no thank you. Second - probably 69% of those weren't even born in Hawaii. And probably a great majority of them have never even been to Hawaii. What a false premise - you make it sound like every single Native Hawaiian was born in Hawaii and now 70% of them left. Uh, no. Just because you are Native Hawaiian doesn't mean you were born, lived, or have ever been to Hawaii.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu