Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 10:30 AM

7 posts, read 8,687 times

Advertisements

Aloha!

Quick question that might seem odd but curious. I will be moving to the Honolulu area this summer and wear sneakers like Nike, Asics, etc. Far from a fashion sneaker head, but I do have a few choice pots of Air Max, etc. and was wondering if wearing these there is frowned upon.

Not try to look like a tourist and want to assimilate into the local culture as much as I can, so don't want to pack up stuff that I won't need like sneakers.

I have slippers which I would rock normally, but just wanted to see if it's worth bringing my kicks along or leaving them behind.

Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2016, 10:33 AM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Sure I would bring them. Honestly I don't look at men's feet very often, but I have some friends that are enthusiastic about sneakers.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Last edited by Mikala43; 05-27-2016 at 10:52 AM..

Old 05-27-2016, 10:47 AM

7 posts, read 8,687 times
Thx for the reply Mikala.

Old 05-27-2016, 11:22 AM

102 posts, read 118,568 times
Do whatever your comfortable with ok. Why slippahs are popular in Hawai'i is because its comfortable and easy to wear. The high temperatures and humidity sometimes its better to have slippahs because it lets your feet breathe and doesn't let bacteria build. Further slippahs are good for sand and they are easier to take off when entering another persons home. Also slippahs are alot cheaper to buy then regular shoes. But on the flip side i wouldn't want to try jogging for miles in slippahs.

Don't worry i doubt anyone will come up to you and say "eh brah wat wit da shoes" Most true locals will probably be more concerned with your comfort level. Hope that helps?

Also like myself you might find your walking alot more and outside alot more then where your from. Aloha

Old 05-27-2016, 11:24 AM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times
True locals?

Who the heck are they?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-27-2016, 11:34 AM

102 posts, read 118,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
True locals?

Who the heck are they?
A true local is one who loves Hawai'i and its people and aina. A true local is one that no matter where they are they hear the call of the islands and it culture. Kama'aina, child of the land. But i may agree with you. If you can't see aloha anymore then maybe people forget who they are. Maybe need another Renaissance on the island? But who am i? Im just one person.

Old 05-27-2016, 11:39 AM

3,928 posts, read 4,908,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiwarriorfan View Post
a true local is one who loves hawai'i and its people and aina. A true local is one that no matter where they are they hear the call of the islands and it culture. Kama'aina, child of the land. But i may agree with you. If you can't see aloha anymore then maybe people forget who they are. Maybe need another renaissance on the island? But who am i? Im just one person.
this!^

Old 05-27-2016, 11:44 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulrebel212 View Post
Aloha!

Quick question that might seem odd but curious. I will be moving to the Honolulu area this summer and wear sneakers like Nike, Asics, etc. Far from a fashion sneaker head, but I do have a few choice pots of Air Max, etc. and was wondering if wearing these there is frowned upon.

Not try to look like a tourist and want to assimilate into the local culture as much as I can, so don't want to pack up stuff that I won't need like sneakers.
Generally, the only time I see people wearing sneakers is when they are out on a run -

Or, in Waikiki - it is an old man wearing shorts - with socks on - and sneakers.

Otherwise, not so much.

Last edited by whtviper1; 05-27-2016 at 12:11 PM..

Old 06-03-2016, 12:48 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,254,535 times
Running is when i see people wearing sneakers, or i see some people wear during Bicycle riding. I usually wear sneakers doing chores, but that is me. But most wear slippers. Generally its wear what you Prefer.

Old 06-05-2016, 10:03 PM

181 posts, read 274,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulrebel212 View Post
Not try to look like a tourist and want to assimilate into the local culture as much as I can
You're GOING to look like a tourist for a while. It's not your shoes, it's going to be your clothes, your skin, and the way you stop to sound out street signs.

Once you are no longer worried about looking like a tourist, you will start not looking like a tourist, but the process takes a while. At least two serious sunburns' worth. You'll know you're making progress when the mosquitoes start passing you by because you no longer smell like exotic imported food.

You WILL have made it when you no longer have to translate words like "makai" and "Ewa," and it grates on your ears to hear tourists try to pronounce them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: