Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 08:06 AM

2,387 posts, read 2,211,475 times

Advertisements

So a little background. I'm 29. I graduated from university in 2008 and have been gainfully employed since then with three separate companies. The first job was in logistics/warehousing for a telecom, the second in IT procurement, and the current as a purchasing analyst in telecom.

It seems that in these industries, or at least with these specific organizations that I worked, that the culture revolves around the older workforce. What I mean is that it seems the culture is set up around hiring folks which one of my co-worker refers to as "Retired in Place". These are older folks who typically stay in the same position for the majority of their careers and seemingly have no career ambition whatsoever. They are satisfied and comfortable with coming in to work and doing the same job day in and day out for the rest of their careers. I am, by and large, the youngest person in my department by a good 15 years and I'm pushing 30.

Additionally, you typically never hear about younger people being promoted within these organizations. When I hear of a promotion, it's someone who's 40+ years old and who's been with the company 15+ years. It's hardly ever Joe Smith who's 27 and has been with the company for five years.

This policy leaves me in a frustrating malaise, as I end up feeling stagnant and complacent. I consider myself a pretty intelligent guy and I'm a pretty fast learner. I've always been a pretty good performer, never having a bad performance review. After 2-3 years in a specific role, I need something more challenging. Not to mention, I want to make more money as my career moves along. This has just not been the case with these organizations. The culture never seems to focus around the younger workforce, it's always heavily slanted towards the older work force. The only time I've ever been "promoted" or given a significant pay increase (more than the standard COL) within an organization is when I had an offer lined up elsewhere. That has only happened once though. The rest of the time, I've had to jump ship for better opportunities and more money. And I really hate having to do this, but my career and earning potential is very important to me. It's very expensive where I live and I need to make a decent amount just to get by.

So I'm wondering if this is something that's common within these types of industries? And if so, which industries can I switch into that don't seem to leave the young workforce out of the loop so much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 08:21 AM

306 posts, read 517,807 times
I can't speak for the telecom industry, but in finance, accounting, and banking, etc. where I am it is usually the opposite.

The young and hungry kids straight out of college or who have lesser experience (ages 25-30) are usually on the career growth track and take advantage of every opportunity. The older people are usually high up in management, directors, or VPs.

I think you should look for a new position while keeping your current job in one that exhibits the organizational culture you are looking for... I am sure it exists out there. You seem to have a good amount of experience and ambition so you will probably find it. I would take advantage of this ambition while you are still younger and very marketable.

Old 05-14-2015, 08:28 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,595,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleur View Post
It seems that in these industries, or at least with these specific organizations that I worked, that the culture revolves around the older workforce. What I mean is that it seems the culture is set up around hiring folks which one of my co-worker refers to as "Retired in Place". These are older folks who typically stay in the same position for the majority of their careers and seemingly have no career ambition whatsoever. They are satisfied and comfortable with coming in to work and doing the same job day in and day out for the rest of their careers. I am, by and large, the youngest person in my department by a good 15 years and I'm pushing 30.
People in the middle 40s are subtle. We are ambitious and eager in ways you can't understand.

Old 05-14-2015, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
People in the middle 40s are subtle. We are ambitious and eager in ways you can't understand.
No doubt that some of you may be. This isn't meant to be a knock on ALL people in the workforce over 40 either. Observationally speaking, this is not the case with the people I have worked with. The three buyers we currently have on staff are 56, 60, and 68. They have no interest in moving up the career ladder at this point, at least not in the way that I do. They are riding this job out until retirement.

Old 05-14-2015, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spedizzo View Post
I can't speak for the telecom industry, but in finance, accounting, and banking, etc. where I am it is usually the opposite.

The young and hungry kids straight out of college or who have lesser experience (ages 25-30) are usually on the career growth track and take advantage of every opportunity. The older people are usually high up in management, directors, or VPs.

I think you should look for a new position while keeping your current job in one that exhibits the organizational culture you are looking for... I am sure it exists out there. You seem to have a good amount of experience and ambition so you will probably find it. I would take advantage of this ambition while you are still younger and very marketable.
Thanks, Spedizzo. I'll keep those on my list of industries to check out.

Old 05-14-2015, 09:41 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,847,102 times
Tell your boss what you want and work with him/her to develop a plan to get there. In my own experience (your mileage may vary) most bosses will support your career development as much as they can within the confines of corporate policy. If they don't then either your plan is unrealistic or you should go looking for a new job.

In talking with my friends I've found that these types of complaints surface often, even if they've never sat down with their boss and discussed their career development. I say take some initiative, plan your future, and approach your boss about it.

Old 05-14-2015, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
Tell your boss what you want and work with him/her to develop a plan to get there. In my own experience (your mileage may vary) most bosses will support your career development as much as they can within the confines of corporate policy. If they don't then either your plan is unrealistic or you should go looking for a new job.

In talking with my friends I've found that these types of complaints surface often, even if they've never sat down with their boss and discussed their career development. I say take some initiative, plan your future, and approach your boss about it.
These are good ideas and I support them. However, when I tried to employ them, they fell flat.

Recently, I approached both my senior director and direct manager about this. I inquired about what I could do to help me position myself for moving forward in my career (I'm currently a Data Analyst in Finance/Purchasing). My senior director did not really tell me anything new. He just told me to keep doing my job to the best of my ability. That was it. There was nothing about what certifications I could look into or what skills I could develop.

My manager was just as aloof and unhelpful. She mentioned learning SQL, but only because she's heard of it, not because there's any specific task that she could see me using it for later on.

Old 05-14-2015, 09:47 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,134,708 times
Quote:
So a little background. I'm 29. I graduated from university in 2008 and have been gainfully employed since then with three separate companies. The first job was in logistics/warehousing for a telecom, the second in IT procurement, and the current as a purchasing analyst in telecom.

Additionally, you typically never hear about younger people being promoted within these organizations. When I hear of a promotion, it's someone who's 40+ years old and who's been with the company 15+ years. It's hardly ever Joe Smith who's 27 and has been with the company for five years.

This policy leaves me in a frustrating malaise, as I end up feeling stagnant and complacent. I consider myself a pretty intelligent guy and I'm a pretty fast learner. I've always been a pretty good performer, never having a bad performance review.

So I'm wondering if this is something that's common within these types of industries? And if so, which industries can I switch into that don't seem to leave the young workforce out of the loop so much?

If that were the case, why did they hire you? You don't seem to fit their profile.

I don't know about telecom, but I'm in hi-tech and although companies like to keep folks around for as long as they can, they know that people with expertise and xferable skills will eventually jump ship.

Old 05-14-2015, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
If that were the case, why did they hire you? You don't seem to fit their profile.

I don't know about telecom, but I'm in hi-tech and although companies like to keep folks around for as long as they can, they know that people with expertise and xferable skills will eventually jump ship.
I worked with my direct manager at a previous company. She recruited me. I was essentially hired because I knew somebody. If I had been an outside candidate, I likely would not have been hired. Telecom is extremely incestuous.

This is the 2nd telecom company I've worked for and I am beginning to see a trend. The first telecom company I worked at was much larger worldwide. The workforce I worked with there was older and mediocre at best. Average age was probably close to 45. Few had a college degree. Most had been doing the same job for 10+ years. Many came to work in shorts, t-shirts, and sweats (not that that's necessarily a sign, but you could just tell they didn't care about their appearance). It was clear that there was a serious lack of ambition within the organization I worked in.

This telecom company I work for now is very similar. Average age in my group is about 50. The buyers have been doing the same job for 15+ years. They wear it as a badge of honor. And here I think, "Who wants to do the same job for 15+ years with a meager COL increase each year".

Old 05-14-2015, 10:29 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,134,708 times
Quote:
This telecom company I work for now is very similar. Average age in my group is about 50. The buyers have been doing the same job for 15+ years. They wear it as a badge of honor. And here I think, "Who wants to do the same job for 15+ years with a meager COL increase each year".

One factor is also whether there are other options to move onto.
In Silicon Valley, there are tons of temptations. In other areas, not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment