Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 06:12 PM

23 posts, read 19,647 times

Advertisements

@American Heart

I don't know. I would assume that once you voted on something and it failed or passed you would know the will of the people and proposing it in a hundred different ways or in different venues at other times to get it passed isnt really respecting the will of the people or the intent of our system? But im just a simple guy.

Really discussions like this i hate sometimes because people often fall in love with ideals. To be honest and this is my opinion only. I think people are more in love with this ideal of progress and having a train then the real usefulness of it? Studies show that it wont do anything really to help traffic issues on Oahu.

It often reminds me of those people who get really upset at seeing people burn the flag, but don't support or believe in our constitution. The flag is just cloth without liberty, freedom or the constitution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2016, 08:02 PM

181 posts, read 274,316 times
This whole rail thing seems a lot like OkoleCare.

Claim great benefits, screw up what's working to put in the new, THEN when people discover that it doesn't work and is far more expensive than promised, it's too late to go back.

What was needed was more bus lines and coaches, especially expresses between major points. If people don't ride them, you just drive them somewhere else that the people who WILL ride them are.

Old 07-08-2016, 06:57 AM

788 posts, read 513,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha State View Post
Your right. I had forgotten about that. Question Jungjohann why isn't it still in existence only upgraded if it was good?
It died a dinosaur's death.

My 4 "hosses" combined have carried myself, my spouse and much of our business almost 700,000 miles, much of it pulling heavy loads. One of them has always been available to leave when convenient/necessary for our schedule, and wasn't more than a few paces from the front door. I never had to arrange transport to get to my transport, and it never left before I got there or left me stranded, and was always available 24x365. I can't imagine the torture of traveling that distance on public mass transit (air excluded).

Mass transit vs POV is, IMHO, the "laundromat" version of transport compared to the convenience and economy (in time and money) of having your own washer/dryer.

I suspect/predict absolute fiscal failure and collapse. The costs are simply too high and the benefits are too low - including the "last mile "considerations (how do I get to the train station from home and visa versa. IF you live very close to the train stations, AND your job is very close to the train stations, AND if you don't need to carry much of anything (like tools, etc.), it could be convenient for you, but I suspect not in the majority of cases.

It is, however, possible that the linear nature of the route will work in its favor, but more likely it will be a huge $$ sponge soaking up untold amounts of $$$.

And, are the jobs these people are traveling to paying all that much anyway - enough to justify the inconveniences of actually getting there?

I could be wrong, though, but this is my opinion/experience such that it is. zf I turn out to be wrong, well it won't be the first time.

I think you would be better off setting up an Amazon/FBA business from home letting Amazon do the fulfillment.

Old 07-08-2016, 01:27 PM

788 posts, read 513,372 times
I would offer another item for consideration.

Imaging two parallel "roads", one a rail, one a highway. Both the same length following exact same route.

In heavy traffic on the highway, virtually the entire length of the road can be filled with cars carrying passengers, so the utilization of the roadway is at or near 100%.

For a rail system, only a tiny percentage of the railway is occupied, and only by a small number of people clustered in the few cars that make up the train, which for commuter rail is only a few cars long. The overwhelming amount of space on the rails is, at any one time, unoccupied.

Also, for rail, the entire group of cars, and people in them, must stop to let a single person either on, or off. Not so for cars on a highway.

It is possible to run multiple trains on a single rail, but it would be hard to equal the passenger density per mile of a typical highway.

I read somewhere, that by far, the best mover of people are independently-driven cars that can enter and exit at will without affecting the entire flow. Of course, this assumes that people actually know how to drive properly, including speed maintenance (especially on hills and around curves), lane usage, proper pedal usage (no left-foot braking) etc. - admittedly a HUGE "if" in some, if not most places.

Also, a mechanical casualty on a train stops a whole lot of people. For example, my spouse was on Amtrak riding up the SJ Valley when the train rain out of gas. Either somebody forgot to fill the tank, or somebody shot a hole in it or something, but everyone in that train, and any other trains that might have wanted to use the track, were stopped for several hours. Electrics don't use "fuel" per se, but can experience failures too.

POVs on a highway are like a conveyer belt, fully loaded along its entire length, and all moving together. Buses and trains are like a skip on rails. Conveyors move far more "stuff".

I don't think it will be the big people-mover people might think it will be, even if money was rolling in on the surf at Waikiki.

Old 03-28-2020, 07:06 PM

30,653 posts, read 18,263,167 times
Covid-19 is definitely going to screw the rail project over even more than it is already screwed. For every month this thing is delayed by Covid-19, I'd tack on another 6 months to completion time When you look at how fast they are able to build certain subway systems in other countries, its truly sad how slow progress is here in the States. I blame a lot of it on the unions, but who really knows.

I was doing some research on the phase that is scheduled to be finished in late 2025. The planned Kākā‘ako station is less than a mile away from my place in town. I doubt I'd be able to realistically use the rail to travel to and from work (assuming I'm still living in Hawaii at the time, which I hope to be), as I'd still have to walk well over a mile on Pearl Harbor once I got off at the Pearl Harbor base stop. That's too much walking for me to be doing every day. Still, the option would be welcome and I hope that it would help increase the value of my property somewhat.

Old 04-02-2020, 12:12 AM

2,095 posts, read 1,560,772 times
Funny how hart chief was bragging that he'd have it up and running by end of the year.

Old 04-17-2020, 01:02 PM

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/...m-for-project/

Quote:
Rail officials now project that the $9.2 billion, 20-mile project will suffer an $80 million loss in state tax revenue as a result of the economic impact of the coronavirus outbreak.

That could force the Honolulu Authority for Rapid Transportation to borrow money to meet the shortfall in the budget, unless the agency can obtain funding from a federal economic stimulus package, Ruth Lohr, HART’s chief financial officer, told the Honolulu City Council Wednesday.

. . .

The rail project should qualify for federal stimulus dollars because it boosts the construction industry, Lohr said.

“We definitely have a challenge because by cutting the capital budget, we would actually then be stopping work in certain areas which could then actually result in more costs because we’re delaying a contract that is currently happening.”
Lovely.

Old 04-18-2020, 10:46 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,257,140 times
It's just painful to watch this project as it continues. The rail has not gotten downtown yet and way behind schedule, just starting to go through Kalihi. I keep saying i will not see the finish of the project, let alone ride it one time?

Old 04-19-2020, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottStielow View Post
It's just painful to watch this project as it continues. The rail has not gotten downtown yet and way behind schedule, just starting to go through Kalihi. I keep saying i will not see the finish of the project, let alone ride it one time?
I shudder to think of the impact that the project will have on traffic as it makes it way into town. I don't expect it to be as bad as it was in Pearl City/Aiea and along Kam Highway as that was the main thoroughfare while there are more options in town to get around construction, but it should still be pretty terrible.

Old 04-19-2020, 10:00 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,926,328 times
If the City wants to stop at Middle Street now is the time to ask the Feds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu