Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2020, 01:28 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,923,379 times

Advertisements

Or, we can go the other direction and end in Kalihi for a walking tour of Kalihi from Middle Street down King to Liliha, give them a real taste of Hawaii at Mayor Wright housing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2020, 02:14 PM

1,731 posts, read 1,068,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Or, we can go the other direction and end in Kalihi for a walking tour of Kalihi from Middle Street down King to Liliha, give them a real taste of Hawaii at Mayor Wright housing
Call it something fancy like Hula Parkour and it will make millions!
And maybe remove a few annoying millennials. Win/win.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...tail&FORM=VIRE

Old 10-24-2020, 11:13 AM

2,095 posts, read 1,560,083 times
Quote:
So tourists can peer through the fencing like it's a zoo, watching the indigenous people carry on their daily activities?

Old 01-07-2021, 03:40 AM

30,651 posts, read 18,249,084 times
Well, the Georgia Senate results and Dems retaking control of the Senate probably spells good news for the rail project as far as federal funding goes. Will be interesting to see how things develop.

Old 01-09-2021, 12:54 PM

1,731 posts, read 1,068,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Well, the Georgia Senate results and Dems retaking control of the Senate probably spells good news for the rail project as far as federal funding goes. Will be interesting to see how things develop.
"Good News?" I dunno. Sure money for somebody but will it benefit Hawaii taxpayers? Maybe this project should die. Remember the Ferry? I think every ticket was subsidized by the taxpayers at about $238 a ticket. At least we could sell off the ferries and there wasn't billions of dollars of useless infrastructure laying waste. Imagine if $10,000,000,000 had been spent on making Kapolei a real second city not requiring commuting into Honolulu.

Old 01-09-2021, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldKona View Post
"Good News?" I dunno. Sure money for somebody but will it benefit Hawaii taxpayers? Maybe this project should die. Remember the Ferry? I think every ticket was subsidized by the taxpayers at about $238 a ticket. At least we could sell off the ferries and there wasn't billions of dollars of useless infrastructure laying waste. Imagine if $10,000,000,000 had been spent on making Kapolei a real second city not requiring commuting into Honolulu.
Every time I pass a rail station - I keep saying to myself, where are people going to park and how are they going to get to the station. Very few stations have any or extremely limited parking. Even the few stations with parking - like Aloha Stadium may be a choke point of traffic getting to/from the station.

I'm very skeptical this will make a material impact on traffic - and quite frankly is also a huge eyesore, at least to me.

The money the City and County spent could have been better spent with incentives to get businesses to the West side - or improving the existing highways with its highly flawed 1960's - 70's design.

Old 01-09-2021, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldKona View Post
Very fair points. Unfortunately, I wasn't in Hawaii for the ferry, though--and ultimate cost and subsidies issue aside for a second--I understand that it got caught up in some environmental lawsuit that ultimately doomed it

For rail, specifically, while I doubt that I would have voted for rail and would have certainly called out the initial cost projections as the joke that they were, I am not inherently against rail. I do, however, believe that rail should have started in town and then expanded outward to the airport and beyond. That way it would be making money initially from tourists, etc. (Covid aside). I get why they started out in Kapolei (or wherever they started), but that meant that the rail wouldn't start to really make any money for a while. And if they don't go at least to the Ala Moana Center, I see it being even more of a financial disaster than it is already.

Old 01-09-2021, 05:01 PM

Quote:
I do, however, believe that rail should have started in town and then expanded outward to the airport and beyond. That way it would be making money initially from tourists, etc. (Covid aside). I get why they started out in Kapolei (or wherever they started), but that meant that the rail wouldn't start to really make any money for a while. And if they don't go at least to the Ala Moana Center, I see it being even more of a financial disaster than it is already.
I don’t see tourists using rail to/from the airport. Uber to airport is cheap versus schlepping all your bags to Ala Moana.

I could see Kapolei residents going to/from airport though.

Old 01-09-2021, 05:56 PM

Quote:
I don’t see tourists using rail to/from the airport. Uber to airport is cheap versus schlepping all your bags to Ala Moana.

I could see Kapolei residents going to/from airport though.
I can only talk from my experience in NYC but plenty of people (to include tourists) use public transportation to get to and from the airport. They didn’t put the taxi and Uber crowd out of business now, but plenty use still.

Old 01-10-2021, 12:30 AM

Quote:
I can only talk from my experience in NYC but plenty of people (to include tourists) use public transportation to get to and from the airport. They didn’t put the taxi and Uber crowd out of business now, but plenty use still.
As someone who frequently goes from Manhattan to EWR Uber has nothing to worry about. Wouldn’t consider public transportation given the cheap cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu