Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 03:36 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,107,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinkChink View Post
People need to jettison the Location , location, and location Mantra thinggy.

Its always been PRICE, Price and more Price. Its served me well.
Agreed. But it is easier and far more practical for the majority of buyers to buy into an area that has the greatest potential for short and long term appreciation.

Getting a real deal on price means you probably have a ton of cash on hand, good connections or you got damn lucky. Or all of the above.

A dilapidated walk-up on Aniani would make a great deal in a fire sale but the discount would need to be more (as a percentage of market) than the discount on properties found in desirable areas.

Old 10-12-2016, 03:53 AM

589 posts, read 390,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob View Post
OK so Honolulu location better than Indianapolis location. Or is it Indianapolis price is better than Honolulu price? Hmmm.

Basement apartment or,
http://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/n...131&j=76094551
I do believe in the mantra ALL RE is local. I guess BOB does not......................lol. I swear during the great recession prices in HI went up and up and up.

So can my HI LLC own NV property. Im thinking- why not.

Old 10-12-2016, 08:37 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
OK so Honolulu location better than Indianapolis location. Or is it Indianapolis price is better than Honolulu price? Hmmm.

Basement apartment or,
I own a unit in this building. But I'm unclear what point you are trying to make.

The building had awful timing - done in 2007 at market peak. I grabbed a foreclosure in a fire sale a couple of years later - actually lived in it awhile and rent it out now. Had I not bought as a foreclosure it wouldn't have been a great investment.

The penthouse has been for sale for as long as I can remember. Far overpriced

Old 10-12-2016, 09:53 AM

1,776 posts, read 1,871,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinkChink View Post
I do believe in the mantra ALL RE is local. I guess BOB does not.
Um, LOCAl as in LOCAtion, LOCAtion, LOCAtion? Seems it is you that is not sure of your own metrics.

Old 10-13-2016, 02:41 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,107,191 times
Quote:
There are definite economies of scale. When I need a new roof I only pay one twentieth. Now it may cost slightly more for the height.
It will cost significantly more for height and because the roof is owned by an AOAO. The cost of repairing and maintaining high rise condo components is anywhere from 3 to 10 times the cost or more (per SF and per capita ownership) of the same component in a typical SFH. So while the cost of repairs and maintenance is spread across more owners, the per capita / per unit SF maintenance expense of a high rise condo is far higher than that in a comparably sized SFH.

What many condo owners don't realize is that when they pay for their condo they are "renting" roughly 1 extra SF (per SF of interior space) of common (i.e. not privately owned) building area. That means 50% of what you are buying is maintenance on building area that you are not actually living in. When you own a SFH, you pay for 100% of the maintenance but also physically live in 100% of the building.

Old 10-14-2016, 10:59 AM

1,776 posts, read 1,871,284 times
I think you're just throwing numbers out there. There is no way a high rise roof is going to cost 10 times that of a SFR per sf. Possibly 20-30%. It also does not increase prices because the maintenance is done for an AOAO unless you are referring to the homeowner having guys from the Home Depot parking lot doing the work, So if comparing a $8,000 roof the homeowner is paying $8.000. Say the Condo roof is $8,000 X 1.3= $10,400 / 20 = $520!! Almost 16 times less than the homeowner!

Your second paragraph makes no sense. I have 100% use of the condo I own and use of 100% of the common area. Where the homeowner has to maintain 100% of their sidewalk to the street the condo owner may have a double or tripled sized walkway BUT they share that maintenance cost among maybe hundreds of owners. There are definite economies of scale for condos.

Old 10-14-2016, 11:01 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
I'm pretty sure this thread has headed off in a direction that is not helpful for the OP.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu