Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 04:37 PM

25 posts, read 22,574 times

Advertisements

How would you go about finding decent housing from the mainland? We would ideally own but that seems to be an insane proposition long distance. Anyone has any experience with USDA loans?

Old 09-27-2016, 06:13 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Besides research - it's insane to try to long-term rent or buy from the mainland.

Secure temporary housing then look for a place to rent in person. After a year or two if you like it - go buy something

Old 09-27-2016, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Besides research - it's insane to try to long-term rent or buy from the mainland.

Secure temporary housing then look for a place to rent in person. After a year or two if you like it - go buy something
Rent seems outrageously expensive so buying would definitely be more sensible for us. What sites would you recommend for housing search? Is it possible to find month-to-month rentals at all?

Old 09-27-2016, 09:27 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Buying makes no sense if you hate it in a year.

Try Oahu Real Estate

Old 09-28-2016, 01:31 PM

2,095 posts, read 1,558,762 times
agreed on renting a year first, especially in the area you think you may be buying. Try to enter a 6 month contract if you can, I guess.

It's like when people that live in town buy houses out in ewa beach. Then the first day they commute to work, they're in for a rude awakening. lol

Old 09-28-2016, 02:51 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,227,675 times
I bought a place in late July, after having been on island for 4 months. I was tired of paying rent and view my property as an investment. I own a 2 bedroom condo in a high rise in Makiki and would probably rent the unit out when I leave the island.

Having written that, I would not encourage one to buy or sign a long-term lease agreement if one is not yet on island, especially if you don't have friend/family to conduct due diligence for you.

Old 09-28-2016, 06:48 PM

48,532 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorya View Post
How would you go about finding decent housing from the mainland? We would ideally own but that seems to be an insane proposition long distance. Anyone has any experience with USDA loans?
Have you ever visited the state?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-28-2016, 06:52 PM

48,532 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorya View Post

There is so little information here, how would anyone answer it?

Do you work, if so what part of the Island?

What do YOU consider decent housing?

You need to buy in rural area? Why are you looking at Oahu instead of other islands?

What does your realtor say?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-28-2016, 07:37 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
Pretty much all the USDA locations on Oahu are on the wrong side of the traffic if you will have to have employment in town. Why Oahu? USDA covers a lot more area on the other islands.

But, since we don't know where you're moving from, we don't really have any idea of what may be encompassed by your definition of 'decent housing'. For some folks used to areas other than Hawaii, a lot of our Hawaii houses wouldn't be considered 'decent', especially the houses that may fit in the 'affordable' category. Mostly it's usually due to size or proximity to the neighbors next door.

Old 10-02-2016, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I bought a place in late July, after having been on island for 4 months. I was tired of paying rent and view my property as an investment. I own a 2 bedroom condo in a high rise in Makiki and would probably rent the unit out when I leave the island.

Having written that, I would not encourage one to buy or sign a long-term lease agreement if one is not yet on island, especially if you don't have friend/family to conduct due diligence for you.
I would buy there but prefer to do my research from mainland as we won't have much time once we hit the islands. Paying rent, especially that high, bugs me a lot. Investing makes so much more sense. I think we'll rent a vacation rental for the first couple of months then decide. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu