Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2016, 01:58 PM

48,574 posts, read 34,956,927 times

Advertisements

Have you seen our rainfall?

The kazillion golf courses we have probably use the most water.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2016, 02:07 PM

48,574 posts, read 34,956,927 times
I had to go look it up - we have over 40 golf courses on Oahu.

This has a lot of good info: What is the Current State of Fresh Water Supplies in Honolulu and Oahu: Will We Have Enough Water for the Future?

Interesting that despite growth, residential water consumption was down.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-24-2016, 07:12 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,879,314 times
Boy over 40 Mike,thats excellent!

You play alot?? (I havent ever tried reg golf)

Old 12-24-2016, 07:35 PM

30,678 posts, read 18,307,542 times
OP, I really can't counter based on personal experiences in ranking the different islands as I've only been to (and currently live on) Oahu. Having written that, when it comes to things to do on island, you'll rarely catch me down in the Waikiki area. No, I'm heading far up island for that.

Old 12-24-2016, 08:38 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,068,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
With all the development on the island, I wonder how long the water supply is going to last. Do the city planners take water for granted?
They've already overbuilt for the water table. Back in the early eighties, when you got a building permit to build a house, there was a nominal fee paid to the Board of Water Supply to get a water meter. It was mostly a paperwork processing fee, something like twenty to forty dollars or so. By the late eighties (this was during a huge construction boom) the fees had gone up into the thousands. Not sure what it is now, it's been awhile since I've pulled a permit on Oahu.

They used to let folks go into the water tunnels and look at the water. There's a long hallway, a lot of really big pumps and then a room with a railing overlooking the water table. This was the late-eighties sometime, I forget exactly when. There was a stick in the water with dates on it. The dates from 1950 to 1965 or so were pretty much clustered in one spot, one year would be up, then down, then back up, etc. But starting in the mid seventies, the numbers started dropping lower and lower and never recovered to their previous levels.

There's also some sort of worry with the aquifer that if it gets too low, it will become seawater. Not sure if it's some sort of inversion of fresh water / sea water or if the ocean will just seep in.

Upcoming water difficulties is one of the reasons why we moved away from Oahu. But there were a lot of other more pressing reasons: traffic, crowding, costs for just about everything, a line anywhere you want to go, and then add to that the worries about upcoming lack of water, inability to feed themselves if there's a break in the supply chain, etc. etc. Oahu is still a great island, though, and some of those concerns are at this point merely worries. If it were thirty years ago, we'd still be living on Oahu.

Old 12-25-2016, 05:28 AM

1,585 posts, read 2,114,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
They've already overbuilt for the water table. Back in the early eighties, when you got a building permit to build a house, there was a nominal fee paid to the Board of Water Supply to get a water meter. It was mostly a paperwork processing fee, something like twenty to forty dollars or so. By the late eighties (this was during a huge construction boom) the fees had gone up into the thousands. Not sure what it is now, it's been awhile since I've pulled a permit on Oahu.

They used to let folks go into the water tunnels and look at the water. There's a long hallway, a lot of really big pumps and then a room with a railing overlooking the water table. This was the late-eighties sometime, I forget exactly when. There was a stick in the water with dates on it. The dates from 1950 to 1965 or so were pretty much clustered in one spot, one year would be up, then down, then back up, etc. But starting in the mid seventies, the numbers started dropping lower and lower and never recovered to their previous levels.

There's also some sort of worry with the aquifer that if it gets too low, it will become seawater. Not sure if it's some sort of inversion of fresh water / sea water or if the ocean will just seep in.

Upcoming water difficulties is one of the reasons why we moved away from Oahu. But there were a lot of other more pressing reasons: traffic, crowding, costs for just about everything, a line anywhere you want to go, and then add to that the worries about upcoming lack of water, inability to feed themselves if there's a break in the supply chain, etc. etc. Oahu is still a great island, though, and some of those concerns are at this point merely worries. If it were thirty years ago, we'd still be living on Oahu.
Tons of wrong information in your post.

The city fee you are talking about that is in the "thousands" of dollars is the sewer connection fee. This has absolutely nothing to do with fees associated with the Board of Water Supply, which is a municipality utility. The sewer fee (which represents about 70-80% of the combined potable water consumption and wastewater fee) is administered through the State Dept of Environmental Services. There is a very clear distinction with these fees. Currently, it costs far more to treat the potable water that is flushed down our drains (per gallon) than it is to supply the same potable water through our fixtures. Water is dirt cheap here - however it costs many times more to treat it and re-introduce it into our environment so it does not cause harm to our ecosystem.

Our long term potable water security will be addressed with desalination. All points of use of our potable water system here on Oahu are within relatively very close proximity to the ocean. Therefore extensive piping infrastructure as well as large mechanical pumps (and their high maintenance and operating costs) to pump the water over long distances is of zero concern here.. Low cost photovoltaic-generated electricity will allow our city to inexpensively desalinate any water that cannot be processed through our current aquifer system. Your concerns of us running out of potable water at some point has zero scientific basis.

The bigger concern will be the (ever-increasing) cost of treating that water (in the future) before it enters our ecosystem. But this is a cost issue, not one of being unable to provide the necessary natural resources society depends on to maintain its current standard of living.

Old 12-25-2016, 01:24 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,580,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
Tons of wrong information in your post.
Read the post, 'Back in the early eighties'. It was valid info THEN.

Merry Christmas po'o kukae

Old 12-25-2016, 02:38 PM

T'anks, eh, JJ! Mele Kalikimaka!

Old 12-25-2016, 03:45 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,580,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
T'anks, eh, JJ! Mele Kalikimaka!
Some friggin people juss no get it.......................

Dats why hahd...........

But, Merry Christmas............. Sooo, one year, for Christmas, waaaaaaayyy friggin back in the 70's, we did a joint kalua pork/turkey imu for a bunch of friends, and put two pigs into the hole, and ten, COUNT EM, TEN!!!!! turkeys into the same smokin, red hot, river rock and kiawe wood/ember filled hole. Cover em up, after banana leaves, banana stalks, luau leaf, wet burlap, maybe few near empty,,,, uuurrrrpppp, scuze me, beer cans. Cover with dirt, set the timer.... HOURS LATER,,,,,,,,, ALL PAU.. It's Christmas, everyone all happy, looking forward to taking their pelehu or pua'a dinner home... AND, ONLY NINE, COUNT EM,,, NINE, FRIGGIN TURKEYS IN THE HOLE!!!!

All these years later, I still wonder, WHERE IN THE HELL DID THAT TURKEY GO??????

The Mysteries of the Islands

Old 12-25-2016, 05:39 PM

Maybe one of the pigs ate it?

We'd always put just one pig, a dozen turkeys and 'bout a hunderd laulau in the imu and open the first keg of beer. When that ran out, then open the imu and the second keg of beer. Dunno as if that was in the recipe or not, but that's what they'd do. We never tried to count the turkeys after, maybe you're not supposed to count them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu